Home parallel routers

GORDON
Site Admin

Home parallel routers

Post by GORDON »

I was just thinking about what a pain in the ass it is going to be when my router dies, how it is a few years old and I prolly won't be able to get an identical model on which to upload my saved settings, and how I am going to have to reconfigure the settings of about 20 devices from memory.

So is parallel routing a thing, two routers running hot and side by side and not interfering with each other? Like RAID 1 routing, able to replace a dead unit without losing connectivity?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Home parallel routers

Post by Leisher »

I replace my router every 2 years or so, and never have to reconfigure anything because I use the same name for each router.

Home routers are not built to last. Somewhere in the 2-4 year range is when they start sucking.

Also, if you're talking about two WiFi routers running parallel, that would not be advised. Your WiFi devices would struggle trying to talk to both at the same time. Although, you could turn off the WiFi on one, but to what end? So you can double the life span of that router model? Then you'd be screwing yourself out of updated technology improving signal strength, security, etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

A buddy of mine built his own router. Other than 1-2 pain in the ass maintenance issues every year, it's been working for the last decade or so.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall seeing some rack mountable servers that could be used as routers, and I could actually run RAID 1 on those.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Parallel routing is a thing, but not at the consumer level.

Just have two routers, if one dies, buy another backup, rinse/repeat.

Is your router separate from your wifi?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:Parallel routing is a thing, but not at the consumer level.

Just have two routers, if one dies, buy another backup, rinse/repeat.

Is your router separate from your wifi?
Kind of. I have another "clean" router upstairs used as a WAP. But all of the custom settings are on the basement router.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe you have too many custom settings? I dunno, my router mgmt has gotten a lot simpler. Two reserved IPs (server + printer), Wifi PW, and DynDNS, the end.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I haven't looked at it in so long I don't even remember.... I know that whenever I get a new device, I always reserve it a specific IP based on its MAC address. Then I have DHCP turned off, and only a couple available IPs for guests to sign in on. For security reasons... don't want neighbors on my WIFI.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:I haven't looked at it in so long I don't even remember.... I know that whenever I get a new device, I always reserve it a specific IP based on its MAC address. Then I have DHCP turned off, and only a couple available IPs for guests to sign in on. For security reasons... don't want neighbors on my WIFI.
I only do IP reservations for things that have to be static. Everything else is DHCP, and I use good passwords on my wifi.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Parallel routing is a thing, but not at the consumer level.
How are parallel WiFi routers running without signal overlapping issues?
I have another "clean" router upstairs used as a WAP.
That's a good thing to use your old WiFi routers for, as signal extenders.
A buddy of mine built his own router. Other than 1-2 pain in the ass maintenance issues every year, it's been working for the last decade or so.
What does he do to maintain the new WiFi standards? Does he push everything with software or does he make hardware changes?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

1 - Parallel routers using different channels, there are 3 distinct channels in US with no overlap.

2 - Malcolm's buddy said router, not WiFi. Probably just a wired router, and uses AP or other for WiFi. A friend of mine did this as well about a decade ago.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:Malcolm's buddy said router, not WiFi. Probably just a wired router, and uses AP or other for WiFi. A friend of mine did this as well about a decade ago.
I think he's got a separate bit of hardware for wireless connectivity. There were times I couldn't get a wired conn at his place and had to fall back to wireless.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."