Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

I'm sure legal guns were used by NRA members in that firefight. All law abiding citizens.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

"Not drag show people"
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:16 pm "Not drag show people"
They were too busy stripping for the kids at the children's emergency room.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 pm
Well, history shows there's a >0 chance of that being true. Children appear to be a target market for some reason.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 pm
Well, history shows there's a >0 chance of that being true. Children appear to be a target market for some reason.
Well, I'm not going to pay that shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

The guy who shot 5 people over the weekend after they asked him to keep the noise down had been deported 5 times.
The suspect was in the country illegally at the time of the shooting and had previously reentered the country illegally multiple times following his deportations, an ICE source told Fox News.
So that makes one wonder how this could be true or even possible:
The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas was asked about Oropesa’s immigration status on Sunday’s Meet the Press. The host, Chuck Todd, cited reports that Oropesa was here legally on a consulate card from Mexico, but had perhaps overstayed.
Either way, it says a lot about our federal government's ability to enforce immigration and their ability to enforce gun laws. Perhaps we need to take a page out of Iran's book on dealing with illegal immigration?

------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of gun laws, I was pondering the other day about "Common Sense Gun Laws", which is being hijacked by people who aren't using common sense (did you see what the Ds tried to do in, I believe Virginia, it would have essentially completely outlawed all gun ownership...which is what they really want...), but I digress... Here's some things I was thinking:
1. Finally, FINAL-FUCKING-LY create and enforce a national database shared by all law enforcement agencies, including the alphabet ones. That should be step one for the background check. Anyone ever convicted of any violent crime cannot own a gun. (I'd be willing to discuss exceptions for crimes committed while a teen.) Furthermore, I'm strongly of the belief that these same people shouldn't be allowed to vote or run for public office. Fuck 'em. Anyone in this category found to own a gun gets a really harsh mandatory penalty. No plea bargaining out of it. Also, whomever sold them the gun should get the same penalty.
2. Shotguns, revolvers, and hunting rifles (low ammo capacity) have a two week waiting period.
3. Handguns with higher capacity have a 6 month waiting period.
4. Rifles with higher capacity (or higher cap mags), like AR-15s, have a one year waiting period.
5. Gun safety training required for ALL gun purchases.
6. Proof of employment required to buy a gun, both at time of purchase AND at time of pickup. The same place must be the employer.
7. Playing more off of #1, actually enforce gun laws and make them harsher. People are routinely caught with illegal weapons. Stop letting them off with a slap on the wrist. I would do this one quietly and with as little fanfare as possible. Just start boosting the mandatory sentences for having a gun while committing a different crime (double that minimum for using an illegally obtained gun).
8. Gun sellers should be held to stricter standards as well. Any caught skirting the rules lose their license temporarily while an investigation occurs. Punishments should include monetary fines, suspension/losing of gun selling licenses, and criminal charges.
9. Gun/Ammo storage laws. You don't need 27 guns and 5,000 rounds of ammo laying around for personal defense. Gun safes should be required for gun collectors. Having a loaded handgun within reach for an urban/suburban homeowner/renter is fine. Rural folks get a little more leeway as they might need a handgun for personal defense, but a shotgun/rifle for critters.
10. They also need to get ahead of the game and start figuring out harsh penalties for folks who print their own guns...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last gun thought today.

Saw someone say this weekend that it would be far easier and cheaper for the government to put a single armed and qualified person in every school in America than for them to try and pass/enforce gun laws. His statement continued to say, "but doing so would end school shootings and that's not actually what they want."

I'm finding it very difficult to prove him wrong.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm The host, Chuck Todd, cited reports that Oropesa was here legally on a consulate card from Mexico, but had perhaps overstayed.
So... he was here illegally?
Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm Saw someone say this weekend that it would be far easier and cheaper for the government to put a single armed and qualified person in every school in America than for them to try and pass/enforce gun laws. His statement continued to say, "but doing so would end school shootings and that's not actually what they want."
Thank God policemen have erased crime. Or bouncers at bars have prevented all fights, etc. At any rate, 115,000 schools, that's a lot of LEOs. $11.5Bn/year? Probably more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm Speaking of gun laws, I was pondering the other day about "Common Sense Gun Laws",
That's... more gun laws than I want. And those are some crazy long wait times, imho. I think CA and DC only do 10 days. #6 would get shot down immediately. But I mean, I do want stricter laws.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:01 pm So... he was here illegally?
Yes.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:01 pm Thank God policemen have erased crime. Or bouncers at bars have prevented all fights, etc.
False equivalency. There is a genuine reason schools are picked for these types of suicides/political statements, which is really what they are. They're soft targets. Most people don't commit crimes in the presence of police officers.

A better response would have been something like: "Great, the mass shooters will just move from schools to festivals or malls." That's something I could buy as a legit unintended consequence of hardening schools.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:01 pm At any rate, 115,000 schools, that's a lot of LEOs. $11.5Bn/year? Probably more.
What is the cost of your freedom? Because the second you hand in your guns, it's gone. If you (generalizing, not "you") truly believe the government won't eventually take advantage of that, you're a fool. History shows this to be fact, and if you think "Well, that was then", look at Canada and their ever growing authoritarian government.

Also, what do you think the cost will be to enforce gun bans when they inevitably occur? How many law enforcement officers and civilians are going to die in those gun battles? You think all the gun owners are just going to turtle up and wait out the feds or perhaps launch offensives?

And when the mass shootings continue to happen, and they will, what then? What's the next step going to be? Or will they be easier to pretend they're not happening because the majority of victims at that point will be poor minority, and who cares about them?

A lot of schools already have cops assigned to them, and I think only one has had a "successful mass" shooter? I don't know. I'd prefer the government cut a check annually instead of taking away even more rights, particularly when it means going to war with their own law abiding citizens.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:04 pm That's... more gun laws than I want.
I know, but I think they're necessary. Besides, not every bullet point is a "law". More of a call to action.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:04 pm And those are some crazy long wait times, imho. I think CA and DC only do 10 days.
That's the point. A lot can happen in a year or 6 months. This is where I believe compromise can be had. This is the ultimate cooling off period.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:04 pm #6 would get shot down immediately.
Yeah, when I wrote it I immediately thought about retirees, people who are financially well off, etc. Still, I think it's something to think about and discuss. The whole mass shooting craze really started at the post office. Work place shootings make up a far larger number than school shootings, so something needs to be discussed there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:38 pm A better response would have been something like: "Great, the mass shooters will just move from schools to festivals or malls." That's something I could buy as a legit unintended consequence of hardening schools.
OK, then that.

But there's research already saying SROs don't stop school shootings. I haven't looked too hard at them.
Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:38 pm What is the cost of your freedom? Because the second you hand in your guns, it's gone. If you (generalizing, not "you") truly believe the government won't eventually take advantage of that, you're a fool. History shows this to be fact, and if you think "Well, that was then", look at Canada and their ever growing authoritarian government.
They ever-growing authoritarian, democratically elected government? Puh-leez, if you think it stops here for $$$$ to stop shootings.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:46 pm But there's research already saying SROs don't stop school shootings. I haven't looked too hard at them.
I would need to see the source of said research. Research being funded to find results the funder wants is very commonplace.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:46 pm They ever-growing authoritarian, democratically elected government?
The same one that froze bank accounts of people protesting against it, has effectively disarmed their populace, is now passing laws threatening huge fines and jail for having a differing opinion, and whose leader was recently exposed to be in bed with China yet nothing has been done about it? Yes, that one.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:46 pm Puh-leez, if you think it stops here for $$$$ to stop shootings.
Apologies, but I don't understand this sentence.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:50 pm Apologies, but I don't understand this sentence.
"freedom" will cost more than $12.5Bn a year for stopping school shootings.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:10 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:50 pm Apologies, but I don't understand this sentence.
"freedom" will cost more than $12.5Bn a year for stopping school shootings.
That's what that sentence says? Are you on the drugs?

Also, your counterpoint carries zero weight unless you answer the other cost question.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Texas gets the latest mass shooting.

8 dead, 10 total injured.

They say he was wearing a "Right Wing Death Squad" insignia and had white supremacy stuff in his social media. Weird for a brown skinned Hispanic guy...

Not to be outdone, another Hispanic man drives his car into a group of people.

7 dead, 10 more injured.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

A veteran and former police officer described the haunting scenes he found when he arrived at the outlet mall in Allen, Texas, Saturday.

The aftermath of the mass shooting there was “horrific,” Steven Spainhouer told CNN’s Fredricka Whitfield on Sunday. The former Army officer said he wouldn’t wish it upon anyone to see or experience what he did.

Spainhouer said he was planning to meet his son, who works at the H&M store at the outlet mall, for lunch. His son called to tell him about the active shooter and that he was sheltered in the break room at the store.

Spainhouer drove to the outlet mall and said when he showed up, he saw many people fleeing the scene and counted seven bodies on the ground.

He rushed up to different victims to check for a pulse, and said he witnessed one woman who had “nothing left of her face or head, it was gone.”

Spainhouer performed chest compressions on another victim, who coughed up blood and then died, he told CNN.

Then he saw a young child who crawled out from underneath one of the victims and was “caked with blood from head to toe,” Spainhouer said. The child kept saying that his mother was hurt.

The father, who has personal and professional experience handling firearms, said the horror he found at the mall will repeat itself if lawmakers don't limit the access of certain weapons to the public.

“I love guns. I love (the) Second Amendment. I own guns. I teach people how to shoot guns. But we don’t need these high-capacity weapons on our streets," Spainhouer said. “All the prayers and thoughts and well wishes in the world are great in time of tragedy, but if you don’t change our gun laws and put red flag laws in place and take these high-capacity weapons off the street, it’s going to happen again."
Spainhouer added that both he and his son will receive counseling for what they witnessed Saturday.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

I'm skeptical of almost every part of that.

As you continue reading, keep in mind that a cop already at the mall for a fight call stopped the shooting pretty fast.

So Spainhouer got the call AFTER the shooting had started and somehow drove to the mall, parked, found the area within the mall where the shooting took place, saw all 7 fatalities, was able to administer CPR, check the vitals on other victims, and do all of this before emergency services arrived and would have booted him out? Bonus points for him being a veteran, former police officer, happening to see a blood covered child crawling out from under a victim, being someone who "loves guns and the Second Amendment", and being a gun safety instructor (yet then referring to them as "high-capacity weapons" and being for gun bans).

The woman who had her head blown off, according to him, I reserve comment on waiting to hear what weapons the shooter had. An AR-15 doesn't do that, but he did have another gun. Also, being a gun expert and someone so in love with the 2nd Amendment, he'd clearly be up to date on mass shootings and would realize the vast majority of them are done with handguns.

I do agree on red flag laws though.

Have we heard citizenship on this shooter or the driver?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Fair, it's early. No word or citizenship
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Saw a photo of him on the ground. Bullet wound in his cheek. I hope he suffered before he died, but I doubt it.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is to end these shootings, but I don't trust that the right one will be made anytime soon or ever. We do need better gun laws, but we also need asylums and the MSM to stop glorifying the shooters.

The video of the driver hitting the people has been released and it's awful. He survived and is getting medical attention. Hopefully, we'll hear his motive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:38 pm MSM to stop glorifying the shooters.
Serves 3 purposes:

1. Violence gets advertising clicks.
2. The subject keeps people riled and pissed and divided, which equates to more advertising clicks.
3. The rage and infamy inspires the next shooter, which will feed into points 1 and 2.