Oldest rock/metal song that's still good?

Audio Tawk
GORDON
Site Admin

Oldest rock/metal song that's still good?

Post by GORDON »

Was thinking about this topic this morning while driving to a place. David Essex's Rock On came up on the playlist, and I was thinking that after all this time, it is still a kick-ass rock song. So I got to wondering if it was the oldest song that could still be considered "kick ass," and was thinking probably.

But then I sat down and looked it up, and it was released in 1973. Sabbath started putting out stuff in 1970, and it could be argued that they have some older stuff that still holds up.

So, thoughts? What's the oldest song that still holds up to modern rock standards?

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: Oldest rock/metal song that's still good?

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

This one may not be quite rock enough for you, but would go back to 1952. I had to google to find that date, and apparently Aerosmith covered this in 75?

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I almost said, "No bands with horns."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The Sultans of Swing say fuck off.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Way too current for the purposes of this question, and completely unlike the style of the 50's when horns were huge.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That "Fire" song has the cheesy 60's organ that I associate with an older era, and the "Jams" song sounds like a punk song and I don't think that's really music.

Cue Catt.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sabbath started putting out stuff in 1970, and it could be argued that they have some older stuff that still holds up.
Their debut was recorded in '69. That had N.I.B., which is one of the all-time great heavy riffs.
That "Fire" song has the cheesy 60's organ that I associate with an older era, and the "Jams" song sounds like a punk song and I don't think that's really music.
The Hammond organ sound? That's still in use today. Type O Negative used it on Creepy Green Light. As for the punk comment, bullshit. It's as much music as Miles Davis or Bach.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just hate punk.

Granted, Type O never lost the cheesy Hammond organ, but.... but. It always reminds me of the Doors stuff from the 60's, which I wouldn't call modern except for maybe The End.. Or Paul Shaffer from early Letterman.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It always reminds me of the Doors stuff from the 60's, which I wouldn't call modern...
Wtf does "modern" mean? Back in the day, Stairway to Heaven was "heavy metal" and I think today most would call it "classic rock." In Da Gadda Da Vida has a 17-minute organ solo but is clearly a rock song with psychedelic and blues influences.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
It always reminds me of the Doors stuff from the 60's, which I wouldn't call modern...
Wtf does "modern" mean? Back in the day, Stairway to Heaven was "heavy metal" and I think today most would call it "classic rock." In Da Gadda Da Vida has a 17-minute organ solo but is clearly a rock song with psychedelic and blues influences.
Exactly.

"Modern" is whatever I feel like for the sake of this thread. It sort of makes me godlike.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I stand by Johnny B Goode.

Kick out the jams counts as rock, but it's clearly an antecedent to the punk movement.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:I stand by Johnny B Goode.

Kick out the jams counts as rock, but it's clearly an antecedent to the punk movement.
If we're talking Chuck, "Roll Over Beethoven" predates "Johnny..." by a year. I believe the "first" rock and roll song is "Rock Around the Clock."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:

If we're talking Chuck, "Roll Over Beethoven" predates "Johnny..." by a year. I believe the "first" rock and roll song is "Rock Around the Clock."
But I don't think Rock Around the Clock or Roll Over Beethoven stand up to modern times as well as Johnny B Goode does.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

But I don't think Rock Around the Clock or Roll Over Beethoven stand up to modern times as well as Johnny B Goode does.
I think there's some Back to the Future bias in there. I'll also state Little Richard was doing "Tutti Frutti" as early as '55. Apparently, contrary to my previous post,
"Rocket 88" by Ike Turner is considered to be the "first" rock song.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

This thread has nothing to do with "first rock song" or what other people consider to be rock. It's what the posters consider.

Tutti Frutti also fails the time test (oh rutti).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

So is this the first rock song from back in the day that an impartial party might mistake for modern rock? Wtf is the "time test?" N.I.B. sounds dated to me. Then again, so does "Two Princes."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:So is this the first rock song from back in the day that an impartial party might mistake for modern rock? Wtf is the "time test?" N.I.B. sounds dated to me. Then again, so does "Two Princes."
Two Princes sucks and would never be considered rock, so it's got two strikes.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The point being, hater, that each slice of time of music, no matter how large or small, is going to have its own distinct sound. N.I.B. sounds like it's from the '60s. ELO sounds likes the '70s. Ratt sounds like the '80s. I could go on.
Two Princes sucks
"Two Princes" beats the shit out of pretty much anything on "1989," Swiftees.