Random Funny Internet Things (not pictures)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That was awesome. I remember coaching T-Ball. The stampede to get the ball was always good for a chuckle. Or the kid clearly daydreaming during a play.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:56 am Or the kid clearly daydreaming during a play.
That was me. But soccer.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Student eats piece of art.

IMHO:
I suppose that's art by some standards, but it's not. There was no skill used to create that stupid fucking thing. Art is sculptures, painting, photographs, performances, etc. Actual effort and thought has to be put into a piece of art. Literally, any single person on the planet could have made this display. I'm pretty sure Grand Admiral Thrawn would rightly judge us as an easy target if this was the artwork he saw.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:31 pm Literally, any single person on the planet could have made this display.
But... they didn't.

that being said, do they like replace the banana every few days or something?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There's a guy whose name I forget, his art was, like, a 18'x10' rectangle, glossy black on the top half, flat black on the bottom half.

So when a gallery wants to display his art, he doesn't send the actual 18'x10' piece. He sends an email, instructions to the gallery, "18'x10' rectangle, glossy black on the top half, flat black on the bottom half." Then the gallery gets out the paint roller and makes the intern paint the wall.

And that doesn't impress me. The fact art people think there's some kind of genius or talent there lessens my respect for them.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:05 pm There's a guy whose name I forget, his art was, like, a 18'x10' rectangle, glossy black on the top half, flat black on the bottom half.

So when a gallery wants to display his art, he doesn't send the actual 18'x10' piece. He sends an email, instructions to the gallery, "18'x10' rectangle, glossy black on the top half, flat black on the bottom half." Then the gallery gets out the paint roller and makes the intern paint the wall.

And that doesn't impress me. The fact art people think there's some kind of genius or talent there lessens my respect for them.
But what's the message, Gordon? What it is saying about art? He's deconstructing it to the essence, saying at once that you can replicate it, but also that you cannot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The message is that people are gullible, and when they think they aren't they're pretentious and pretending to find enlightenment in the banal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:12 pm The message is that people are gullible, and when they think they aren't they're pretentious and pretending to find enlightenment in the banal.
Agree.
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:06 pm But what's the message, Gordon? What it is saying about art? He's deconstructing it to the essence, saying at once that you can replicate it, but also that you cannot.
The problem with this is that anyone can interpret anything to mean anything. By making anything important art, you make all art meaningless. Someone duck taping a banana to a wall is making a mockery of art. Someone flinging paint randomly at a canvas isn't expressing any meaning or deep thought. You're saying Jaws 4: The Revenge is equal to The Godfather.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Art is that which evokes an emotion." Simple. So my disdain of a particular piece, and my contempt for people who think something silly is some sort of brilliant thing, technically are emotions, and therefore qualifies it as "art."

That's the irony.

But I still think it's a good flag for "these people are idiots and not to be taken seriously." Wall banana is such.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:31 pm The problem with this is that anyone can interpret anything to mean anything. By making anything important art, you make all art meaningless. Someone duck taping a banana to a wall is making a mockery of art. Someone flinging paint randomly at a canvas isn't expressing any meaning or deep thought. You're saying Jaws 4: The Revenge is equal to The Godfather.
I disagree. But to each their own.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:05 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:31 pm The problem with this is that anyone can interpret anything to mean anything. By making anything important art, you make all art meaningless. Someone duck taping a banana to a wall is making a mockery of art. Someone flinging paint randomly at a canvas isn't expressing any meaning or deep thought. You're saying Jaws 4: The Revenge is equal to The Godfather.
I disagree. But to each their own.
You'd be wrong, but that's ok. Not your first time. :D

Jokes aside, serious question: If I took a map of the U.S., dropped a massive shit inside of it, crushed the map all up spreading the shit, then framed it and called it "The Death of The Republic", would that be legit art? Why? Why not? Because I'm "not an artist"? Because it doesn't get accepted by "those who know art"?

I think a huge problem with modern art is who decides what is art and what isn't. Seems like a lot of nepotism and who you know going on, ala Hollywood.

Like Hollywood, it may still be "art", but it's bad art and shouldn't be in a prominent gallery. It should have gone straight to DVD.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:45 pm Jokes aside, serious question: If I took a map of the U.S., dropped a massive shit inside of it, crushed the map all up spreading the shit, then framed it and called it "The Death of The Republic", would that be legit art? Why? Why not? Because I'm "not an artist"? Because it doesn't get accepted by "those who know art"?
Sure. There's some places it would even work. Hell, make it more of a statement by leaving it on a SF corner and having a homeless dude shit on it.
Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:45 pm I think a huge problem with modern art is who decides what is art and what isn't
No one decides. That's the beauty of modern art. If you want to go back to the 1800s and earlier, when there were people did decide what art was, feel free.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Why do you hate freedom and capitalism in art?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:48 pm Why do you hate freedom and capitalism in art?
I LOVE freedom and capitalism in art. I'm saying they don't exist currently because of nepotism and cronyism. I said that and you even quoted it...
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Who's to say that his act of eating the banana and taping it back up wasn't art? They deleted his art, declaring it 'not art', and putting up another random banana thus restoring the art? I would argue that none of it was art until the banana was eaten and replaced. Now it's complete art.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:52 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:48 pm Why do you hate freedom and capitalism in art?
I LOVE freedom and capitalism in art. I'm saying they don't exist currently because of nepotism and cronyism. I said that and you even quoted it...
And, I say you are quite wrong. There are so many galleries + museums, etc showcasing upcoming artists that they all have a way to breakthrough.
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:56 pm Who's to say that his act of eating the banana and taping it back up wasn't art? They deleted his art, declaring it 'not art', and putting up another random banana thus restoring the art? I would argue that none of it was art until the banana was eaten and replaced. Now it's complete art.
Transformative art.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:11 pm And, I say you are quite wrong. There are so many galleries + museums, etc showcasing upcoming artists that they all have a way to breakthrough.
And I prove you are quite wrong and use Hollywood as the example. Worldwide industry. Anyone can make a movie. However, it's still all about connections. I know artists. I have heard about how difficult it is to get recognized.
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:56 pm Who's to say that his act of eating the banana and taping it back up wasn't art? They deleted his art, declaring it 'not art', and putting up another random banana thus restoring the art? I would argue that none of it was art until the banana was eaten and replaced. Now it's complete art.
Exactly.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Next topic: are you actually a talented musician if you can't play a single musical instrument, or are you just a good composer?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:32 pm Next topic: are you actually a talented musician if you can't play a single musical instrument, or are you just a good composer?
Butch Harmon is arguably the world's best golf instructor. He has worked with Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and other golf pros. He charges $1K an hour for lessons. To contrast there is a former female pro in this area that teaches and she's $80 an hour.

However, Butch is not a very good golfer. I think I heard once his handicap was 26 or something like that for 18 holes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So he's a good coach. But nobody is going to say Mickey could beat Rocky's ass just because he trained him.

I say these people are not musicians, if they can't play an instrument.... or, at the very least, can't sing without autotune.