Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Well, that bill isn't going anywhere.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

It has as much chance as the bill Gaetz and AOC introduced to ban Congressional stock trading.

But I am in favor of both.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I can't see how there was ever a universe where self-checkout made sense.

They knew from the beginning that theft would be a problem, with the early, clunky, "unexpected item in bagging area." But they doubled down. And tripled down. And now they got rid of 5 low-paid cashiers, and replaced them 2 cashiers to over watch 12 stations, hundreds of thousands per store in new self checkout stations, massive security camera systems, people to watch those security cameras, people to decide it was time to investigate shoplifters, a legal system to pursue charges.

Somehow profitable, by replacing 5 cashiers, and stores still getting robbed blind.

This was all obvious, and easily predicted. Every bit of it. How did they ever think it was a good move? It's times like these I think, "Someone let another dumb, ambitious millennial make another big-boy decision."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:53 pm This was all obvious, and easily predicted. Every bit of it. How did they ever think it was a good move? It's times like these I think, "Someone let another dumb, ambitious millennial make another big-boy decision."
Sure, millennials are a part of it, but less a role than you'd think.

I cannot stress enough how many, many companies succeed despite their top level executives having zero common sense or ability to understand that there are consequences for their actions.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

GenXers like me are saying, "Why are you trying to break a cheap system that works?" The yung bucks are there saying "ok boomer u just skeered of tech" and pushing this shit hard. And wrongly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:59 pm GenXers like me are saying, "Why are you trying to break a cheap system that works?" The yung bucks are there saying "ok boomer u just skeered of tech" and pushing this shit hard. And wrongly.
And me.

I am insanely critical of a lot of new tech BECAUSE I work in tech. What separates folks like us from those in Silicon Valley is we work with the users directly and experience real life. They don't, and thus, have no fucking idea what's convenient, what people want, how important privacy is, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I would like to see more legal protections for those who tackle shoplifters, though. Like, make it like boxing. Security guard are allowed to do anything to stop the fucker carrying out the TV he didn't pay for, but they have on boxing gloves.

Self checkouts are retarded, but it doesn't mean thieves aren't, as usual, scum.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Personally, I think it's slavery.

They're forcing people to do a job they never wanted or agreed to do for no money.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:32 pm Personally, I think it's slavery.

They're forcing people to do a job they never wanted or agreed to do for no money.
In economics there's this concept of Comparative Advantage, where maybe A is better than B at everything, but if A focused on making X, and B focused on making Y, there'd be more X + Y in the world than any other combination of work.

That's kinda how I feel about checkout. I may be better at it than the minimum wage person doing it, but it's more efficient for the world if they do it, not me. The customer's brain should be spent elsewhere.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I remember comparative advantage. I never would have thought of applying it to a non-worker against their will, but makes sense.

And yes, I think it actually hurts businesses far more than helps.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:59 pm I remember comparative advantage. I never would have thought of applying it to a non-worker against their will, but makes sense.

And yes, I think it actually hurts businesses far more than helps.
You could just say "specialization of labor"... but I was, you know, having economics fun. :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:33 pm but I was, you know, having economics fun.
Nerd.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Screenshot 2023-12-10 130256.jpg
Lately really smart reddit peeps have been saying that the 3 covid stimulus checks, and hundreds of millions of forgiven PPP loans, are what's causing current inflation.

I'm declaring my 10 years-til-normality prediction still in play, and the other predictions of "2-3 years" as hilariously wrong.

5 years to normality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

I would argue we're already at normal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

You should stop following that account if they are just going to keep posting crap.

Here's the actual story: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inflation- ... en-higher/

CBS wasn't the source. What sloppy crap.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

CBS is the one reporting it, so "per CBS" is fine. The real criticism is that they should have included a link to the article.

Now I don't claim to be an economics person, which is why I defer to you, but an explanation or source of your own would have been nice. I'm trying to learn here!

Thus, I went to the article and who is there disputing it?
The Biden administration called the analysis "flawed."
The same folks who are telling you that Biden created more jobs than any other president in history. Why would anyone trust anything from an administration that claims jobs returning after a global pandemic shut down the world are because of them?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm CBS is the one reporting it, so "per CBS" is fine.
No, it absolutely is not. This is not "per CBS," it's "per the Republican party," which you told me not to trust. But, if you want to accept the $11k, then do we also accept the $21k increase in income per the Biden administration? Cuz I'm pretty sure you also told me not to trust them.

At any rate. I don't know if the $11k is accurate, haven't looked into it. Feels reasonable, but a little high. I do believe that "per CBS" is misinformation.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:42 pm You should stop following that account if they are just going to keep posting crap.

Here's the actual story: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inflation- ... en-higher/

CBS wasn't the source. What sloppy crap.
According to you, this is "per Unusual Whales". You say their crap is sloppy. However, they are simply saying what CBS is reporting. If it's all horseshit, shouldn't CBS be accused of being sloppy? It's their story. Should they not be doing the investigation and research to see if what their reporting is accurate? One is a "legit MSM outlet" the other is a Twitter account that summarizes headlines/articles.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm This is not "per CBS," it's "per the Republican party," which you told me not to trust. But, if you want to accept the $11k, then do we also accept the $21k increase in income per the Biden administration? Cuz I'm pretty sure you also told me not to trust them.
This would matter if I had tried to find the article. I just saw the tweet and posted it here to see what you said about it. But no, you should not trust either.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 pm At any rate. I don't know if the $11k is accurate, haven't looked into it. Feels reasonable, but a little high.
Wait. Now I'm truly confused. The number "feels reasonable", but it's bullshit?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

CBS put context, whale didn't.
Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:59 pm Wait. Now I'm truly confused. The number "feels reasonable", but it's bullshit?
Did I ever say that? No. My words are all above.