Russia

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman are playing Risk, on the subway, talking about taking the Ukraine, and a Ukrainian on the train goes apeshit with "Ukraine strong!"

Surprised we haven't seen that meme going around.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:55 pm
TheCatt wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:05 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:39 pm As bad as this whole thing has been, it's also been pretty inspiring to see the world respond the way it has.

Taiwan also has to be sleeping pretty soundly tonight.
Well, except Ukraine's not really getting much substantive support, imho.
I think you are very wrong about this.

The US and Ukraine clearly has been working on some defensive plans since the 2014 massacre in the separatist regions.
Yeah, the world is doing exactly what they should be doing.

If anyone else put "official" forces on the ground in Ukraine, it'd be all the more likely WW3 breaks out. However, it's a-ok to keep supplying them weapons, intelligence, and crippling Russia's economy via sanctions and whatnot.
GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:25 am Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman are playing Risk, on the subway, talking about taking the Ukraine, and a Ukrainian on the train goes apeshit with "Ukraine strong!"
Yes, and I've had the same thought.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

The International Olympic Committee urged sports bodies to exclude Russian athletes and officials from international events, including soccer's World Cup.

The IOC said it was needed to “protect the integrity of global sports competitions and for the safety of all the participants.”

The decision opened the way for FIFA, the governing body of soccer, to exclude Russia from the World Cup ahead of qualifying playoff on March 24. Poland already has refused to play the scheduled game against Russia.

It was unclear how the IOC’s request will affect Russian hockey players in the NHL and tennis players, including top-ranked Daniil Medvedev, in Grand Slam, ATP and WTA tournaments outside the authority of the International Tennis Federation.

FIFA was in talks with European soccer body UEFA on the details of suspending Russia's national and club teams, people with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private discussions before FIFA and UEFA decision-makers can ratify the ban later Monday.
Swiss will freeze Russian assets
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:56 am
Ukraine has taken Putin's little board and smash.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

Apparently pro-russian peeps are laughing and saying as long as they have nuclear missile submarines, they can't lose this war of liberation.

Personally, from what I've seen of the state of their ground forces, may e they shouldn't try to launch a missile from a sub. Even odds it will flood and sink.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

FIFA removes Russia from the World Cup.

They did this at the urging of the IOC, so I wonder if Russia will be removed from the next Olympics...if this all hasn't been resolved by then.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:15 pm FIFA removes Russia from the World Cup.

They did this at the urging of the IOC, so I wonder if Russia will be removed from the next Olympics...if this all hasn't been resolved by then.
Man, when an organization with mild corruption like FIFA says you've gone too far...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

Polls

The way this is written is really divisive. I find it interesting that they're now separating Rs and Trump voters. Only 3% of Trump voters say Biden is doing a better job than Putin. Glad to see that number isn't higher, but that 3% are a stubborn bunch huh?

Anyway, Americans mostly support Ukraine. They also think Biden is doing a shitty job handling the situation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

Biden hasn't done anything, has he?

Oooooh, I see.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

I would still say going poorly, and Russia appears to be undeterred. More deaths, possible fall of the government. Will Zelenskyy be dead in a week or two?
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

A 40 mile long convoy heading to Kyiv. I hope Ukraine got a resupply of Javelin missiles.

Not sure how Putin thinks this ends, but he must be thinking full scale cold war. Russia will have to occupy Ukraine once all is said and done because nobody is going to accept his puppet government. And how long does Russia last in the face of all the sanctions and being isolated from the rest of the world? Plus, the likelihood of him being assassinated has to be growing every day and with every Russian soldier killed in this bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Russia

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:41 am And how long does Russia last in the face of all the sanctions and being isolated from the rest of the world?
A long time, imho. The world is not doing anything (short term) to stop buying that sweet Russian oil + natural gas. It will take, I dunno, 5-10 years for the world to ween itself from that, and no one's going to care 3 months from now, except Finland.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:41 am A 40 mile long convoy heading to Kyiv. I hope Ukraine got a resupply of Javelin missiles.
I thought that convoy was the russian resupply convoy....
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

Read those tweets above, and they keep talking about "steps taken to seize assets of putin and the oligarchs.

Wow I hope they haven't had time to move those assets to a safe place by now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:16 am Read those tweets above, and they keep talking about "steps taken to seize assets of putin and the oligarchs.

Wow I hope they haven't had time to move those assets to a safe place by now.
Crypto's up a bunch in the past two days. And they are moving their yachts.
GORDON
Site Admin

Russia

Post by GORDON »

A lot of the measures the US seems to be considering all smell of "way too little, way too slow."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Russia

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:20 am A lot of the measures the US seems to be considering all smell of "way too little, way too slow."
Yes. But had we been more aggressive, then we get slammed for being aggressive. At least we win the PR war, but lose Ukraine.