Mechwarrior Online - F2P

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Is being half a tool really much better than being a full tool?

Maybe it's just a way for people to say "Thanks for building such a fun game, have some money,"

That's a fair point.

If you're poor and you drop your welfare check on this mech/package, then yes, you're an asshole.

If you're independently wealthy, you simply don't give a fuck.

If this is your hobby and you want to support the development team, why is this worse than other hobbies people waste money on?

And again, I think the price is ridiculous, and plan to target these bastards in game, but I totally understand folks buying them.

If it's out there, and exclusive, people will spend the money.

You might think this is insane, but I'll find you folks who think all the money spent on eating out, sports (amateur played sports like golf, poker, bowling, softball, etc.), other video games, consoles, cars, etc. is insane.

Back to MW:O and Stranger, go for the Firestarter. We're solid at Heavy with both Gordo and I running them. Meanwhile, you're the only Assault, I'm the only Light, and Cake is the only Medium.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Looks like the patch is being uploaded right now. I'll be on tonight to test out the new matchmaking, hope to see some of the rest of you too.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I will be on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

i found this little bit of information about changing the cockpit glass and film grain that so many people have been bitching about for so long. Not sure why they wouldn't just put this in as an option in your settings, to me its just lazy... Oh yeah, and this is from the patch notes so its cool to do.

General

The following configuration variables have been exposed for tuning in your user.cfg file. To add these to your user.cfg file navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online (or your custom installation location) and if it doesn't exist, create a file user.cfg containing these settings as desired. Don't forget to set the value desired.

•gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0/1 (off/on)
•r_DepthOfField=0/1 (off/on)
•r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0-1.0 (film grain amount)
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Sorry to anyone expecting to see me on last night, but i crashed out at 9:30 for some reason.

But it looks like Launch Module had a few hiccups at launch. Supposedly they took 3,3,3,3 down just 40 minutes after launch because some people weren't able to load into games and others that were able to had games that were 4v3 or 3v2. Unbelievable! they just ran a test server a few days ago and didn't have any problems. I guess the private matches are working as they should but one person needs premium time to launch those.

There is a hotfix coming today, but i don't think it has anything to do with 3,3,3,3. More information will be coming on what the devs are gonna do about this travesty of their Launch Module.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No worries. I got on around 10:30 and got wins in every mech I own for the x2 bonus then went back to grinding cbills and XP in my JR7-D. I'm really close to finishing Elite on that one, but I'm going to be just shy in the cbill department when it comes to building my JR7-K for the Elite run.

On that note, I've heard that folks do sell off their unused mechs once they hit that Master status. So, for example, I have the JR7-F, -D, and -K for the purpose of getting Master status on the Jenners. However, once I Elite all three, I can then sell one or two of them and it won't remove the Master status of the remaining ones. So, I'll for sure sell the -K (It's shitty), and maybe the -D (slower and a little less damage than the -F).

However, what's the difference between my JR7-F and the JR7-F©? Obviously, one is a champion mech, and gets a cbill bonus for each match, but is that it? They did the same thing with the CTF-3D. Is it just the same chasis and equipment, only you pay real money for it, and get the cbill bonus in return?

For the patch, I guess it was putting "ghost mechs" into matches, thus the 4v3 type of matches because the game thought the match was full. Currently, they don't seem to know why this didn't happen in testing. They're working on it.

The hotfix, which is going in today, just turns the "game type" option back on. It was turned off by yesterday's patch. It's the one that lets you select Conquest, Skirmish, or Assault. (In a related tidbit, I had the NGNG guys talking about upcoming game types like Defend.)

Not everything went bad for them though. The private matches were working well, and are apparently a huge success. I guess some clans/factions are already running training and tournaments through them.

Speaking of clans, the latest podcast talked about the clan mechs that are coming, and how different their weapons systems are from intersphere mechs. Their lasers hit harder, but they have to hold them on their target for the duration. Their autocannons can burst fire, and switch between slugs and cluster, but...I missed the negative on this one, but there is one. Their missles work similar to intersphere mechs, but they don't launch in clusters, they launch individually. The dev talking about it said the visual is awesome, but it makes them easier for AMS systems to kill them. So they hit harder, but they're easier to avoid/kill.

I don't get how the intersphere/clan dynamic works. I need a "Mechwarrior for Dummies" so I can catch up on the lore.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote:However, what's the difference between my JR7-F and the JR7-F©? Obviously, one is a champion mech, and gets a cbill bonus for each match, but is that it? They did the same thing with the CTF-3D. Is it just the same chasis and equipment, only you pay real money for it, and get the cbill bonus in return?
Champion mechs only get you an XP bonus, Hero mechs give you the C-bill bonus. So Champion mechs are worthless in my mind. If you wanna spend real money get a Hero mech, they have different hardpoints and custom paint jobs and give you the C-bills.

Champion mechs will have the same hardpoints as their same varient counterparts, but some may have an XL engine loaded on them and maybe some different weapons. But in my mind this is not worth the real money to buy them, XP comes pretty quickly and easy enough in my mind.

As far as selling them off.. Yeah, i've read many people do that to conserve the mechbay slots. I'll prolly keep 2 of my Battlemasters as they play and build totally different.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Have you noticed a big change since they added ghost heat?

I've died two times in matches over the past two weeks by overheating and blowing up my already critical engine.

Heat sinks are far more important now, as is chain firing.

Apparently, this was a way to balance alpha strikes.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Ghost heat has been in the game since last summer, so there should be no difference to what it has been.

Here is an article talking about Ghost Heat from August of last year. The chart is pretty nice to see if you are actually getting into ghost heat territory.

http://mwo-builds.net/heat-pe....001

Also you can see the hard numbers for ghost heat on Smurfy's if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the section called Heat Penalties per Weapon.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#weapon_heatscale

Edited By Stranger on 1398954602
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think they just changed something with the heat, and I thought it was ghost heat.

The most recent podcast even addressed the issue.

I've never had overheating problems like I do now, and I've certainly never died to an overheat previously.

I've noticed something else lately too. Either I'm fat fingering the keyboard and hitting something at the beginning of matches without knowing or there's a bug that's causing my weapons group loadout to reset so that everything is firing off the #1 or the left mouse button. Earlier this week I had to reconfiguring the weapons group for every mech I own.

Not sure what that's about.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

There has been no changes to the heat scale at all. I just checked the last few patch notes and there is nothing on there about heat changes. The only thing that has changed is AC2 and AC5 have had their cooldowns lengthened which in turn actually will help with heat buildup because there is more time between shots. And only if you're boating alot of the same weapons you really shouldn't be affected by ghost heat, which i don't think you do. I have heard the podcasts and know they were talking about this. And if they made any changes to heat they would be in the patch notes.

But this does make me think of your 4X you have 4 ballistics on that. I'm not sure how you have that set up but if you are firing say two AC5's an AC2 and an AC10 all within .5 seconds of each other you will be suffering from a massive ghost heat penalty. Are you having problems in one certain mech or all of them? i have never died from overheating and i haven't notice any difference in anything.

And that weapons group thing is prolly just another bug. God knows i've had my share of problems with the mechlab and whatnot. I have had the same problem happen to me on one occasion.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My Jenners are the biggest problem because of the lasers. My CTF-4X isn't an issue except on Mordor.

I have three suicides now in total. Two from overheating which caused damage to my already critical engine, and once when I tried to override an overheat and blew up my engine.

I've never had overheating like I have lately.

I also think they should boost the water cooldown a bit more. Just a touch. Currently, I don't see much difference standing on shore or water. I mean, I see the numbers drop slightly faster, but not a ton faster.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So, when I'm done leveling this turd, the JR7-K, I plan to sell it. Now, I'll have achieved "Elite" status in three Jenners. If I were to buy the JR7-0, which is the hero mech, would it automatically be leveled to Elite even though I sold the JR7-K?

I think I might sell the JR7-D, too.

Going to keep all my Cataphracts though.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote:If I were to buy the JR7-0, which is the hero mech, would it automatically be leveled to Elite even though I sold the JR7-K?

No, you will still need to go through the normal process of leveling it up. But if you do sell your mech and decide to rebuy it for some reason, the XP you earned will still be there. You don't lose XP you earn when you sell them.

Edited By Stranger on 1399031456
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ok, your response threw me off a bit, so let me change the way I worded my question.

I know I read somewhere that once you get your 3 chassis up to Elite or Master any additional chassis you buy will instantly either be leveled to that level OR will have those levels automatically unlocked (NOT purchased, but unlocked).

Follow me? Now what you said makes sense because they'd want you to earn the skills, but my question is about the higher tiers.

Let's say tonight I get done leveling all 3 Jenner chassis so that they have purchased all the Elite tier skills and are "Master eligible". I then sell the -K and -D chassis leaving me with only the -F. If I then buy the -0, which is the hero, are the Elite and Master levels unlocked for it automatically (again, not purcahsed)? Basically meaning that I wouldn't have to buy a third chassis and level it up again just to level up my new Jenner hero mech.

And thinking about it, maybe that's what you said, but I want to confirm before I sell the -K, which I should easily have leveled before the weekend is over. I only have the 6k, 4k, and 3k skills to unlock. I'll then simply need to get my -F to Master level, and I'll have the Cataphracts and Jenners at Master.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

ok, i see what you're asking..

I know what you mean, but just to be clear, Chassis is the mech (Jenner, Cataphract, Atlas, etc...)
and Variants are the subsets (-K,-D,-O)

So, yes. You can sell your -K and -D varients and then if you buy the -O the Elite and Master levels will be unlocked. This means that you will still need to earn the XP to get to those levels though.

If you purchase a new chassis of the same weight class as a chassis for which you have three variants with all of their elite skills you will have less work to do in order to reach master level. You will still need to buy three variants of that chassis and earn all of the basic skills. Once you have done that, however, you only need to earn the elite efficiencies for the ones that you intend to take to master level (because you already have three variants within that weight class with their elite skills).

Hope that clears things up a little bit because it's confusing.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I figured it out towards the end of my last post. Once I realized you had said that you keep the XP even if you sell the variant, it occurred to me that you'd also be keeping the skills that you unlocked.

Thus, if you level 3 variants of a single chassis to Master, and then sell them all, you still have mastered that chassis.

Thus, if you buy a new one, the Elite and Master tiers will already be unlocked, you'll just need to earn the XP to buy the skills.

I'll be on tonight...I think. If I am it won't be too late as I have to get up early. I'll be on a lot Saturday though. There's a sleepover, which means it's my wife's problem, and I get to sleep in Sunday.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Stranger wrote:i found this little bit of information about changing the cockpit glass and film grain that so many people have been bitching about for so long. Not sure why they wouldn't just put this in as an option in your settings, to me its just lazy... Oh yeah, and this is from the patch notes so its cool to do.

General

The following configuration variables have been exposed for tuning in your user.cfg file. To add these to your user.cfg file navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online (or your custom installation location) and if it doesn't exist, create a file user.cfg containing these settings as desired. Don't forget to set the value desired.

•gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0/1 (off/on)
•r_DepthOfField=0/1 (off/on)
•r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0-1.0 (film grain amount)
so im trying to do this but I have no user.cfg file like it says. how do I create one of these?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What do those settings do?

Creating your file
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

it takes off the cockpit glass, filmgrain and depth of field blur.. I guess it makes the game look a lot better turning off those filters
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!