Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Then what is she coming about? She sounds ungrateful!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Regarding the Steam Machine...

The other day I saw some headline that said, "14 different Steam Machine configurations examined," but I didn't have time to read the article and just thought, "Wow, 14 configurations? They are going to be confusing the grandmas when they are buying xmas presents for little johnny. I mean aiden."

So now I see this article about Dell's Steam Machine.... is the Steam Machine just a minimum hardware specification and an OS that Steam is farming out to hardware manufacturers?

link

edit:
Link is too long or something.

edit 2:

Link is even too long for the /code command

edit 3:

Fixed when I was drunk.

Edited By TheCatt on 1389478297
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:So now I see this article about Dell's Steam Machine.... is the Steam Machine just a minimum hardware specification and an OS that Steam is farming out to hardware manufacturers?
I believe so. I don't know if just anyone can make steam machines or not but there has to be 10 or 12 developers last time I saw. All ranging from like $400 to $6000.

Basically its just someone else building you a PC that looks like a console to go next to your tv.

Valve has said they will not be making any steam machines just providing the OS but I haven't seen them say if they are picking who can make them.

I have seen a couple that come with 7 and Steam OS.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So until someone says otherwise, all you get by purchasing a "Steam Machine" is a logo on the case. It is looking like anyone can build their own system, not pay the premium for the logo, and load up the Steam OS.

http://www.pcmag.com/slidesh....-at-ces

On the high end, Digital Storm showed the Bolt II, and Falcon Northwest displayed the Tiki. The Bolt II has an expected price of $2,584, while the Tiki will run from $1,799 to $6,000 depending on configuration. They pack the hardware of high-end gaming PCs, with an Intel Core i7 CPU confirmed for the Bolt II and an Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan GPU in the Tiki.

For more modest boxes, iBuyPower, CyberPower, and Zotac had Steam Machines with list prices ranging from $499 to $599, with Intel Core i5 or AMD CPUs and less-beefy graphics cards.

This all seems insane for a machine that is doing nothing but acting as a network PC, for the most part. Didn't we decide that you still need a PC to run the game, and this "Steam Machine" is just going to feed video and audio to a TV?

Edited By GORDON on 1389564958
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I have to assume the end goal is Steam as a console box in the living room for gaming, without streaming. I don't quite get the point of Steam OS until that happens. I assume they are making work on getting games to work under *nix or something.

Edited By TheCatt on 1389567894
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wtf are snow globes for?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

To show up and look at.

Sometimes I wonder about you.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Steam adding music player.

You'll be able to use it in games.

Beta is going on now, so join if you want to try it out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Anyone try the Family Sharingyet?

From what I gather up to 5 people can play games you own. I haven't used it yet so I don't know for sure but it sounds like I can play another persons game if they aren't playing a game on steam. Not the same game but any game. So if I am playing TF2 then no one can play skyrim or whatever since my account is in use.

Not as useful as it sounded when first leaked but better then what I we had before.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yes, my wife and I use it. Basically, you can share you entire library with others, and vice versa. As long as the owner of the library is not playing any game in it, the entire library is available to the others. If you are playing, the entire library is locked.

Your understanding is correct.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That's... about 25% useful.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I would say about 50% useful. As long as they have something you want to play. Unless a single person locks both.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think it's completely worthless.

They can play on my account, unless I'm on. So exactly how it is now?

They need to do the Netflix model where two people/devices can be on per household/device. They can add the stipulation that they can't be playing the same game.

It'd be nice if while I'm playing Rust or whatever, my wife can play Rollercoaster tycoon upstairs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I guess the only difference is not having to sign in and out of accounts, and not let someone on your actual account.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Exactly, and honestly, who gives a shit about that?

Again, Netflix has different user logins, but they're all tied to the same account.

I understand what Valve is trying to do, and the abuses they are trying to avoid, but so far, this wouldn't be something I see most people using.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

I think it started today but has anyone tried in home streaming yet? I only have my desktop but I would be interested in knowing how well streaming the game from your desktop to your laptop worked.

According to Valve it works perfectly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I dont understand the point of in-home streaming yet. So I haven't tried it.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:I dont understand the point of in-home streaming yet. So I haven't tried it.

From what I gather if you wanted to play a game in bed on your laptop you can stream it from you ultra powerful PC to your weak ass laptop in bed and according valve not notice a difference. Again until I see it for myself or hear form a source beyond valve I won't go all in. Not that valve has ever lied to players beyond when they use to give release dates.

If it works and the only important part is a strong PC then I can see myself getting the cheapest steam machine for my living room.

Not sure why but I don't enjoy third person action games and sports games on my desktop. It just feels out of place with a controller playing on my monitor. So if I can get one of the low end rumored $100ish steam machines. I would totally play my God of Wars, Marios, Zeldas, Assassins Creeds, Metal Gears, and GTAs streamed to my TV.

Thats more of an example GoW, Mario, Zelda aren't going to be on steam but cross platform games like Assassins Creed and such are more enjoyable on the couch with a control and my TV. Not to mention they are cheaper on steam and some of their DLC only goes on sale for the PC.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1400782807
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Ok, that helps me understand. I agree, my super powerful server lives in my office. But it's not a place I spend a lot of time, so if I could use the steam machine to play the game at my TV, that would be nice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

...games like Assassins Creed and such are more enjoyable on the couch with a control and my TV.

Outside of nostalgia, I can't think of why I'd game with the console gamepad versus keyboard + mouse.

Edited By Malcolm on 1400784846
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."