Unepic

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Currently an early access game, although the single player portion is done. They're apparently working out multiplayer, but unless it's co-op, I don't understand where the appeal would be. Not even sure co-op would be any fun unless you could independently roam.

The Story -

3-4 guys are playing D&D when one gets up to take a piss. While he's pissing the lights go out, and he's suddenly in a dungeon where a "Shadow" moves in to possess him.

I'd really like to emphasize that this game's story was written by teenagers. I don't know that to be true, but I'm betting if they aren't teens, they're virgin 20-somethings. From the constant pop culture stealing (see below) to the sex jokes (your character will get laid in game) it just screams immaturity.

The Genre -

This is a 2D side scroller and a dungeon crawler. Think Mario combined with Legend of Zelda. The tone is all humor, and they blatantly rip off multiple sources of pop culture. Not only lines of dialogue, but in character design too. I could see Disney sending them a cease and desist.

Some of the references are ok, but a lot of them are groan worthy. Just picture any famous movie scene that you and your friends, and their friends, and your family, and everyone in the world has acted out a million times, now imagine it playing out in text and voices right in front of you again... For example, if I say to you "What dialogue do you remember from 'The Golden Child'?", yeah, that scene is played out almost in its entirety.

The Game Play -

The controls aren't horrific, but I've been playing the game on a controller. Lots of customizing options, so the controls shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

The exploring of the dungeon is good enough. Lots of little details like a map that allows you to add notes, the ability to crouch with a light to see what's below you, loads of variety, etc.

However, it all comes with cons too. The map doesn't show details within rooms. There are "wasted space" rooms. If you don't realize right out of the gate that you should be swinging a mace, ax, sword, or pike at all the walls you can, you'll be annoyed to realize there are hidden areas all over the place.

Fighting is exactly what you'd expect, with three big notes:
1. You're going to get hurt. A lot. Don't expect to be breezing through levels at a face pace fully healed.
2. The bosses are very interesting. A few of them have strategies that you won't have seen before. One, in particular, in kind of brilliant. When I say brilliant, I mean that in a "This is so fucking stupid. Who designed this shit? So fucking unfair. I mean, fuck me, what do I have to...oooooooh!" type of way.
2. You know that thread where I complained about developers making weapons too complex, with too many stats? Same thing here. Remember when you could just grab a sword and use it? Or an ax? Or a mace? Well those weapons are apparently so different that if you specialize in other weapons, you'll only be able to use lvl 1 weapons in the other classes. Not an issue until you realize that the enemies are intentionally varied in terms of their vulnerability to different weapons. See skeletons? Hope you brought a mace. That plant thing? Hates axes. Swords take down goblins and orcs. Etc. And did I mention that weapons are varied even further based on speed, damage, elemental damage, etc.?

I went the "Jack of all Trades" route, and it's working for me. I haven't finished the game, but I'm near the final area. I can use swords, maces, bows (an absolute must), wear heavier armor, and have minor magic abilities. Oh, and each of those magical disciplines can be leveled up as well using the same 5 per level skill points you get for the rest of your skills. Did I not mention that you only get 5 skill points per level to be split among swords, axes, maces, bows, polearms, armor, constitution, healing, several magic disciplines, and a couple of other stats I'm forgetting? Don't worry though, leveling up is a slow process...

Expect the monsters to scale oddly as well. While you'll find new, more powerful weapons in each new area's store (9 total...I think), the monsters also get tougher. In fact, there will be a lot of monsters you simply cannot fight toe to toe. You'll need to use tactics to kill them, like sneak attacks, climbing up/down ladders then reengaging when they turn away, etc.

You also get some help in the form of pets that are there to attack baddies or protect you. These are mostly worthless. There are four that I think are valuable: a fire one, an ice one, a light one (kills undead), and one that paralyzes enemies. You have no control over them, and they get damage by AoE stuff just like you. You'll find yourself hiding them or resurrecting them a lot.

My biggest criticism of the game is the need to swap out items/weapons so often. Yes, they make it ridiculously easy with customizable hot buttons, but it gets tedious.

Oh, there's two more things I have to point out:
1. Make sure you get yourself some Jawa kills (you'll know them when you see them). The Jawas (they're not called that in game, but it's obvious that's what they are) show up to steal things off the ground. So if you kill a monster, then get far enough away without picking up what it dropped, a Jawa will appear to take it. Anyway, kill enough of them, and well...it's a really good idea.
2. There's another "feature" that is simply not talked about in the game or I missed it. It was the source of frustration for me for a while until I realized what was going on. It's sort of cheap, but clever at the same time.

Summary -

Despite my criticisms, it's a fun game.

Lots of very well crafted and thought out new features to the genre stuffed into a pop culture mish mash in a dungeon.

Hours upon hours of game play too.

At $5 or under, you'd be getting a steal.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Finished it while watching Denver...hopefully...beat New England.

Absolutely worth your money. It's D&D meets Mario. You'll roll your eyes at most of the humor, but you can tell the developers had a good time making this game.

I look forward to a sequel.

"Wow, the end is really cool."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”