Supreme Commander 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

Still digging this game over any other multi at the moment...

BUT, I just got onsite for a 2.5 week trial, so my playtime is curtailed for a bit.

Maybe Cake can find a counter to my spiders by then.

Edited By Troy on 1388816583
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

The only counter is. . . not to play.

And I have a counter. So, bring it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid's copy came in the mail today.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm sure he's already better than Catt, TPR, and I...unless he plays SC2 the same way he played LoL.

If that's the case, I'll wipe the floor with him.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I had a 'bash Gordon's kid' post too. But that's just mean. It's not his fault Gordon's his dad. It would be like teasing a retarded kid. Not that Gordon's kid is retarded. But, he IS Gordon's offspring. . . man, this isn't coming out at ALL how I meant it to. . . .
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm just surprised you all acknowledge he's actually mine.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I can't believe you just typed that. . . .
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I can't believe he overlooked that you never said "biological dad".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That's better.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger = (MadM right?)

Anyway, Stanger did a killer job tonight despite me being completely incoherent on the comms. Mad props for that.

I can only image him hearing PPPGMMMSK#K)$)(!!! and then random pings appearing on the screen.

Edited By Troy on 1389422593
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

He was FAR more productive than I expected him to be. Last time we played, he was asking the most newbish questions. . .

I'd be interested in a 1v1 between him and Gordon to see who would win.

And, I'm giving up on the strong late game army. I'm going to counter your early OP armies with an early OP army.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

In SupCom1 I could counter early OP armies by building early OP defense/turtling. I have not yet figured out if that is possible in 2... so far, not possible. The level 1 defense turrets are weaker than their 1 counterparts, and it is not possible to build walls.

So far, early impressions is that 2 has much less depth than 1. Granted, am still far from having that be my final answer. It just feels like they made everything twice as easy to kill and simplified the resource gathering aspect, and called that the solution to marathon games.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I liked being able to upgrade factories and having more "levels" of units too. But 2 seems to be a little more freely flowing and dynamic.

Have sunk a LOT more hours on Sup Com: FA, to be sure.

Edited By Troy on 1389478597
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I did pretty well at the tutorial. Might quit while ahead.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

aww shucks.. ya'll are too nice.

But really I learned a lot from a night me and Cake duo'd. I got some good inside tips. And even tho I couldn't make out much of what Troy was saying his mass armies inspired me to duplicate that as good as I can.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I went googling for a complete breakdown of the differences between 1 and 2.

This guy is pretty harsh on 2... a lot of the things he criticizes about 2 would have someone else saying, "You say that like it is a bad thing."

Where to start? I agree, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance was way better than Supreme Commander 2. Me and my buddies still have 8 player LAN parties all the time playing that game, none of us play Supreme Commander 2 anymore. The biggest difference between Supreme Commander 1 and 2 is the economy and the scale.

In Supreme Commander everything was expressed in rates of how fast energy and mass were coming in, and when you built things it built at a rate instead of paying the bulk of the resources up front. Unfortunately this would stall a lot of players because they would start building tons of things and their rate of resources needed would far exceed the amount of resources that were coming in and nothing would get built and they wouldn't know how to recover. Maps were huge and you could have up to 1000 units. There was no tech tree like the one in Supreme Commander 2, you didn't upgrade your units on the fly, you had to build more advanced factories to build more complex units. Units often had firing ranges beyond their line of sight which meant using radar was critical. Scout units and intelligence were also crucial. Above all Supreme Commander 1 was a game about economics. Players had to intellegently use their resources to claim more resources until they could overcome their enemy, or if you had a weaker economy, identify a critical weakness through intelligence and use certain units to exploit that weakness and destroy the enemy's commander.

Maps were huge, I mean HUGE. 81x81km, playing Supreme Commander 2 feels like playing in a kids sandbox compared to the vast world of Supreme Commander 1. In Supreme Commander 2 they dumbed down everything. You have to buy everything with the resources up front, if you find a weakness in your strategy you can quickly use the tech tree to adapt, you can adapt any unit to any role with enough points on the tech tree. You can't buy anything on credit meaning you have to micromanage even more. Maps were scaled down to tiny sizes, the unit count is lower. Games play out fast favoring tactics over strategy. The game pace is fast often finishing in under half an hour when in Supreme Commander 1 games could for several hours.

Supreme Commander 2 is an odd game. People who loved Supreme Commander 1 hate Supreme Commander 2. Those who hated Supreme Commander 1 probably didn't try Supreme Commander 2. Supreme Commander 2, to fans of Forged Alliance, is a stupid, dumbed down real-time tactics game. Matches play out as matches of cheap tactics to accumulate research points, your commander acts like a character from DOTA and if you can get more research points and get to your build the fastest you can annihilate your enemy within minutes.

Supreme Commander was a game of gathering intelligence, economic control, flexing muscle, speculation, ruse, careful planning, guerilla tactics, fierce resource management, heavy analysis of unit strengths and weaknesses. Supreme Commander 2 destroyed everything that was good about Supreme Commander 1 and changed the game completely.

Worst $50 I've ever spent. The fact me and my friends still play FA to this day speaks volumes. Sometimes we just sit down and watch replays of games past, even though they can be hours long because they are that entertaining. No other game has had me sweat bullets quite like a lan match of FA. Building plans to defend your commander and infilitrate the weaknesses of your enemy, it was real time STRATEGY at its finest at a huge scale. Sorry, I'm ranting. Supreme Commander 2 is not a terrible game, it's a decent real time strategy game by every other standard, but it doesn't hold a candle to FA.

I pretty much agree... as I have already said, 2 feels like a simplified version of 1. I thought that was nicer than saying "dumbed down," even though that is what I meant.
Troy

Post by Troy »

In the end I like both. I'd probably have just as much fun multi-ing Starcraft 2 with you guys too.

Edited By Troy on 1389550545
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Someone make the call so I can install SC if necessary.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

JFC People, I DID THE TUTORIAL
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was just saying that SupCom is more complex. I can see how 2 might be preferable for a lot of you simpletons.