Splinter Cell:Pandora Tomorrow - PC version reviewed

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The sequel to Splinter Cell.

Sam Fisher is back and this time he's battling a rebel leader in Indonesia.

I was a bit nervous about Pandora Tomorrow since the original was so good and this one started off with a few changes in the controls. Nothing drastic, just a minor change in how crossing wires was accomplished.

Then, after beating the first level, I didn't get back to it for a few weeks as I was distracted by a few games that were rented (Midnight Club 3, Lego Star Wars, and NARC).

I got back to it, and found it to be just like the original. In fact, for a more detailed review, just combine this review with the original linked above.

There were fewer minor details in the story this time as data sticks (they were basically emails and such between characters containing info on the plot and access codes) were few and far between, but more effort was put into level design. You'll find yourself in jungles, at a TV station, at LAX, and in a really cool level, infiltrating a bullet train. Those aren't the only levels, but they were the most memorable.

I think my only complaints about this version would be in level design and in one issue about a weapon. The weapon complaint is due to your handgun needing more than one head shot to kill an enemy later in the game. Yeah, they've got body armor on, and it was VERY easily remedied by using my SC-20K to do the executing, but it was just annoying at times when I'd forget to equip the big gun.

As for the level design complaint. I thought the turrets were used poorly this time as opposed to the last game. Not really a big issue, but they seemed to be used more as a "guide" telling you how to complete a level or where to go rather than being used to kill you.

I think the reason I didn't try this series earlier, and probably why others here haven't, is because of the "Tom Clancy" tag and the comparisons to the Thief series of games. I assure you, ths is nothing like Rainbow Six and nothing like Thief.

Rainbow Six was about planning and was team based. Thief was about a wimp who hid in shadows and worried about what he was walking on because one guard could decimate him.

Splinter Cell is about a legit bad ass who uses stealth to support his mission, but can easily dispatch even the toughest of guards. His stealth is based on the realistic need for anonimity in his line of work. And he goes in alone, without a team backing him up. He doesn't need to be concerned about civies dying, unless he's ordered to worry about them. In fact, I've played both in the series so far under a scorched earth policy. If it moves, it'll be unconcious or dead before I move on.

I highly recommend you give it a shot if you like military games/settings, FPSs, any action/adventure games or if you like Clancy's work.

The only thing that has disappointed me about the Splinter Cell series is that I know there are only three games so far and I've gone through two of them. Its going to suck waiting for the fourth installment to hit the stores.

8.5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

How is the mulitplayer? Everyone seems to love the multi on the Xbox.

I have been waiting for this to drop to the greatest hits price which it has, now I just have to get up and go and buy it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

How is the mulitplayer? Everyone seems to love the multi on the Xbox.

I haven't tried multi yet as I'm waiting for people I know to get the game, but I continue to hear incredible things about it. I just looked through the Chaos Theory manual as it was installing and half the book is dedicated to the multi game and all the different moves and items that aren't in the single player game (as they're not needed because you don't have a partner and aren't looking for spies).

Paul may have tried it. Maybe he'll pipe in here.

As for others on this forum, there are a few I know that would love this game, like Cake, Gordon, and DD. Cake, in particular, as he used to go on and on about a realistic game like this back when TFC was big and Counter Strike was just coming onto the scene.

Considering both the original and sequel are now "budgetware", its time to give it a try.

4 players are needed for the multi experience. As soon as we have 4, I'm in.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Alhazad

Post by Alhazad »

can't speak to pandora tomorrow, but Xbox chaos theory's chore-based four-player multiplayer isn't that good to me after halo 2's 16-player games

there are either way too many or too few objectives for two mercenaries to guard, making most of the levels really unbalanced

the controls for spies also threw me since I had to unlearn half of the single-player controls; they're different for some reason
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've had a Splinter Cell PC game for quite some time. Never loaded it though. It was on sale some place that rebated it to $0. So, I picked it up, but never loaded it.

I'd load it if I knew there'd be some multi-action.

Edited By Cakedaddy on 1115256248
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Only Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory have the multiplay.

If you have the original, I'd still recommend you load it up and play the solo game sometime. The AI is no human, but its a good experience. The settings and storyline really pull you in. The real challenge is getting through levels with a low body count and without being detected at all.

The immersion level is tons better than a typicla FPS or action game.

If the multi plays like the solo game, I could see it being a lot of fun. However, Alhazad;s statements give me some concern. I'm curious now if there's a way I can launch it solo just to check out the controls and levels.

I'll see if I can.