Splinter Cell - PC version reviewed

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've always wanted to try Splinter Cell and since the third one was just released I figured I'd try to dig up a copy of the original. A quick trip to EBgames got me a copy for $8. Smart purchase.

Splinter Cell is the shit.

You control Sam Fisher, excellently voiced by Michael Ironside, an elite member of a nameless spec ops team that solves problems quietly. Essentially, its a lot like True Lies without the tango.

I've heard this game compared to Thief because you spend a lot of time sneaking around. That's true to a point, but Thief is Pong compared to this series. Its not all sneaking. If you choose, you can go through the whole game by killing as few people as possible. (I think there are at least two required kills.) However, most people will probably play with less mercy, and in that mode, its like playing Doom 3, only this time you're hell and you're gonna take over in style.

When you are neutralizing someone, its typically a thing of art. Whether it be a silenced weapon, or a drop from a height onto their head, or a forearm to the back or their head, or a tazer round to their chest, or a frag grenade, or a smoke grenade knocking them out, or you're sniping them, etc., etc., etc, its all entertaining and well done.

Even when you're not on the offensive, you have a full slate of moves at your disposal to avoid detection. You can hang from ledges, hide in shadows, knock out lights, pick locks, doing the splits between two walls while your prey walks under you without seeing you, etc.

That's not even mentioning some of the other gadgets you have to help you along the way.

The gameplay occurs from the third person perspective, which is perfect for looking around. You'll spend most of your time switching between the 3 modes of vision: normal, night vision, and thermal. You'll also spend most of your time moving while crouched.

The storyline flows very well with Intel coming in only when its needed. I'm not sure how anyone can play this game and not be instantly drawn into the setting. (Try playing in a dark room, its add something to the presentation.) In a cool touch, you'll sometimes be left in the dark on intel since you're on a need to know basis. Each location serves a purpose and all are well designed. Only once did I get lost in a location and found myself searching for what I should do, and finally realized I was looking for my departure vehicle and not a route into a building.

I should also mention that the graphics are great. Despite the third version being released within the last few weeks, I believe you'll find the original to have graphics that are easily on par with today's top games.

The sound is also excellent and CRITICAL. I can't stress that enough.

Overall, this game is just a lot of fun and that's the most critical thing. If you're seen the commercials for Chaos Theory then you've heard the little whine as Sam's night vision turns on. Well, unless you've played Splinter Cell, you just don't get how cool that sound is.

I can't recommend this game enough. Its available for every system (PC, X-Box, PS2, and the Cube), so whether you'll spend $8 to buy it or the $2-$4 to rent it, you should do so. Its worth every penny and a lot more.

If you liked the Thief series, Tomb Raider series, any FPSs, action games in general, anything involving spies, or are a veteran, you should give this game a shot.

8 out of 10. (I could honestly give it a higher mark, but I've got two more in the series to play and rate. I need room to move them up if I need to.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have it on Xbox. It's one of my favorite games ever. I was seriously addicted to it while I was playing it. Really, Knights of the Old Repblic, Halo, and Splinter Cell are the three Xbox games that caused me to lose a lot of sleep.

I heard there was another level so I ended up buying theTom Clancey sample DVD offf eBay for $2 that had the extra level. I assume this extra level comes on the PC version.

Excellent game.

I'm afraid to get either of the next two Splinter Cells because I just don't have the time to get addicted again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Its so good I bought the two sequels before I was even finished with the first one.

Know of any user created levels or missions out there?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Paul

Post by Paul »

None that I know of. I only have it for Xbox, so I never looked into that route.