Shaun of the Dead - Box Cover Spoilers

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Looking for a romantic comedy written for guys? This is it.

Shaun of the Dead is a British import staring nobody you know.

Shaun is in a rut. He's in a dead end job, he lives with a total loser who happens to be his best friend, and his relationship with his girlfriend isn't exactly perfect.

That's when the zombies arrive.

All the old school zombie rules apply:
1. They're slow.
2. They remember bits of their life.
3. A bite turns you into one.
4. Their head is the key to killing them.

Amid the chaos, Shaun sets out to turn his life around. That's about all I can honestly say about the plot without giving away details. Although, I should point out that it gets a bit hokey at the end.

This movie is very funny and so "male". Most guys who sees this film will be able to relate to Shaun's situation. That's probably why most women won't like it.

See it.

7 out of 10. (2 out of 10 if you're female and you think Titanic is the shit.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Does it fit with American Beauty and About Schmidt?

Edited By GORDON on 1107974317
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Does it fit with American Beauty and About Schmidt?

That's a good question and I should warn you that the answer will have very, very minor spoilers.

Those two films upset a lot of women, because they were more realistic than they want to admit.

Shaun of the Dead is nowhere near those two films in terms of drama. That's obvious as its a comedy. However, it does portray things from a man's point of view rather than a woman's.

For example, consider that in most romantic comedies you see the following themes:
1. The male lead's best friend is the "bad guy".
2. The guy makes a huge mistake and the girl gets pissed.
3. The male lead has to make a grand gesture or action to get the girl's attention again.
4. The girl has a male friend that isn't gay, but is totally platonic towards her.

Well this movie has those same issues, except its from the male perspective, so they don't turn out as you would normally expect.

If a woman does see this film, I doubt she'd be as put off or offended as women were when they saw American Beauty and About Schmidt. The differences are so subtle that she'd be more likely to just say its stupid rather than be offended. In fact, if you were to say it was a spoof on horror films (which it is) and never say anything about romance, I think a woman could sit through it and say "it was ok".

So, I'd put Shaun of the Dead in the same video collection as the two movies you mentioned, although it'd be in the comedy section.

Just see it and you'll understand. This'll be much easier to discuss when spoilers aren't an issue.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

All the deep meaning behind the film crap aside, it's a good movie and it should be watched. Just watch it cause it's a good movie. Not cause it will appeal to both sexes in different ways and touch your heart with love and understanding and blah blah blah. It's a good movie!! What more needs to be said?! Just watch it already.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

All the deep meaning behind the film crap aside, it's a good movie and it should be watched. Just watch it cause it's a good movie. Not cause it will appeal to both sexes in different ways and touch your heart with love and understanding and blah blah blah. It's a good movie!! What more needs to be said?! Just watch it already.

Actually, American Beauty and About Schmidt didn't touch anyone's heart with love and understanding, it told the truth. That's why women didn't like those films.

Still, while I would totally disagree with your theory that he can't ask a question about the film, I would agree that he should just shut up and rent the damn thing already.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nicholson in Witches of Eastwick told another truth that most women didn't pick up on, when he told those women exactly what they wanted to hear in order to get laid.

To one of the women he went on a rant about, "Men are dogs, they tell you after a few years that their wives are dead in the bedroom.... when really it was the men who killed them. I wish I had a vagina." or some such.

You convince a woman that you really mean that drivel, and she'll fuck you. Daryl Van Horne (Nicholson) did it in that movie, and so can you.

Some women. I'd say most.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Decent flick.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Liked it. Was laughing most of the way through.... mostly at the British sensibilities when confronted by zombies.

"Why didn't you tell me you were bitten?"

"I didn't want to upset you."

One of the most unique zombie movies since...... well, lately there's been 28 Days Later (to which there was small nod near the end... did you catch it?), and then this movie.

I love how he was surrounded by zombies for 3 days before he even noticed.

Edited By GORDON on 1112407203
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And.,... this movie could have supported a scene with Natalie Portman being naughty, in need of a spanking.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

well, lately there's been 28 Days Later

I hate that film.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
well, lately there's been 28 Days Later

I hate that film.
I think I like these flicks because I'm at the Groundhoggian-stage where "Anything different is good."

Fast zombies in 28 Days Later.... that was different.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think I like these flicks because I'm at the Groundhoggian-stage where "Anything different is good."

Fast zombies in 28 Days Later.... that was different.

If you remember my review of 28 Days Later, I loved the first half of the film as it was different. The film goes from a thumbs up to a thumbs down as soon as they get to the house. That's where it becomes total ass.

Edited By Leisher on 1112587108
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

As soon as they meet the army dudes, "28 Days Later" becomes craptacular at the speed of motherfucking light.

Still got the DVD, though.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."