Website blues

Paul

Post by Paul »

I had my website hosted on a cheap server. It had some reliability issues after about 10 months, so when the year expired I didn't renew. I went to another cheap host. They were good. They had a couple days of down time, but fixed things and gave me an extra month of free service. When my year expired I paid for another year in advance. A week later the site disappeared for good.

A company called Sneni offered 6 months of free hosting to anybody who who had an account with my host, so I took their offer. Six months later I didn't receive a bill. A couple weeks ago (eleven months in) I looked into how to pay them, because I didn't want my site suddenly dropped. However, they gave a dumb response so I assud they'd never catch that I wasn't paying.
Last week they disappeared. Poof, no host.

I searched around and the best deal I could find was a site called Infinology. They offered 9 GB of space and 50 GB of transfer, for only $7 or whatever per month. Plus they llimited the number of users per server.

On Saturday I signed up for their three year plan. The setup fee was supposed to be $35, making the total $285.20. However, the invoice came out with a $50 setup fee, making it $300.20. When the company called to verify my order (which I thought was a good sign) I told him about the overcharge. He told me that he'd put my account on hold until Monday, when the accounting department came in. He said they'd fix the amount and charge my credit card then.
Just in case, that day I sent a message to the Infinology support team, asking them to fix the invoice.

On Sunday I received a message that they billed my credit card for $300.20. WTF? I sent them a nasty message.

On Monday I didn't hear from them, so I sent them another nast message.[/b]

Ditto on Tuesday.

Ditto on Wednesday. On Wednesday night I called their 1-888 signup number, because the tech support number on their website was blank. I told them to cancel my account. They told me how to do it online, and that I'd get all of my money returned, so I logged on and cancelled my account. They say it may take a couple days for them to re-credit my card.

Today, Thursday, I got an email from them (in response to the Saturday email I think) that they went ahead and credited my credit card the $15 I was overcharged.

I'm still waiting for the entire amount to be returned. I wouldn't be surprised if they credit me $300.20 tomorrow. Man... I'd really enjoy that if they did.

I looked around online, found a service that looked like a deal, then scoured the Internet for complaints. I found a ton! So much for that company (which is too bad because I emailed them a question and they responded really quickly).

I finally went with Lunarpages. They seem to be the best of the sub-$100 per year sites. I found a lot of reviews for Lunarpages, and most of them are good.

The best news: Someone has offered to pay my web hosting bills. Sweeeeeeet!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I've never had a webhost issue, ever.

And if they are paying, why not use something better?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I got screwed hard by invite.net a few years back. Makes me wonder if web hosting is the new scam of the moment... hard to take a company in Colorado to court if you live in Tennessee.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

By the way, this Monday was, technically, a holiday...
Paul

Post by Paul »

TheCatt wrote:And if they are paying, why not use something better?
I received a $300 check form Jimmy a few days ago. That'll keep me on my current host for the next two and a half years.

Unbeknownst to Jimmy (who sent $ just to be nice to a long-time fan), I'd also been talking to a producer, and he's been sending me video for the site. Evidently he thinks I'm a good grass roots promotion for the show, and there's some stuff that they want out there that ABC doesn't want on their own website.

If I have bandwidth issues because of the video I'll up my service since I only paid for a year in andvance and have plenty of money left.

Oh... and I still haven't received the entire refund for my account. On Thursday they sent me a $15 refund for the overpayment, and it was in response to a message I'd sent Saturday.. But they never cancelled the entire account, which I cancelled online on Wednesday.

If I don't get my money back today I'll dispute the charge with my credit card company.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:If I don't get my money back today I'll dispute the charge with my credit card company.
That's what I did, and in response invite.net seized every other domain that my name was associated with.

Sure, it was illegal. And not a thing I could do about it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

They have no association with who I register my domain with. I don't think they can touch it.

Besides, my domains are in my wife's name. :)