Toledo makes national news again

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Our mayor is ticketing people for parking in their own driveways.

Yes, this is the same mayor who suggested we move all of the city's deaf residents to neighborhoods around the airport.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Toledo - Making the South look smart.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

Could never figure out how the idiot gets elected.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Holy crap, London did the same thing a few months ago, for a different reason. Carty sucks.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Yes, this is the same mayor who suggested we move all of the city's deaf residents to neighborhoods around the airport.
That's priceless.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
Leisher wrote:Yes, this is the same mayor who suggested we move all of the city's deaf residents to neighborhoods around the airport.
That's priceless.
And he's been reelected at least once since then.

Carty also appeared on The Daily Show once, as he was trying to woo Hollywood into shooting movies in Toledo, and Hollywood wanted to mock him, instead.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The attempt to woo Hollywood was simple talk. He never actually offered them anything. I think the only thing he ever said was something along the line of tax credits.

A funny side note to that was that a couple of people came into Toledo claiming to be shooting a movie. The city bent over backwards for them giving them money, food, vehicles, etc. Then the guys just disappeared.

His Daily Show appearance where he was interviewed by Stephen Colbert was about the airport and deaf people.

P.S. One of our city councilmen said that if he can't get the tickets cancelled, he'll pay them himself. Everyone is talking about how this has gone national.

There is no way Carty doesn't get recalled in November.

Edited By Leisher on 1245246382
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have actual memories of the clips they used, showing run-down industrial areas as "perfect for a new Die Hard film."

So maybe he was on twice.

Edited By GORDON on 1245246042
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have actual memories of the clips they used, showing run-down industrial areas as "perfect for a new Die Hard film."

It's possible. It's also possible that they covered both subjects at once.

What's interesting is that Hollywood would be easy to sway into filming here, they just need the right incentives. Look at what the state of Michigan is doing to lure in film crews: huge cuts in taxes, easy permit filings, built them a studio, etc.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

GORDON wrote:I have actual memories of the clips they used, showing run-down industrial areas as "perfect for a new Die Hard film."

Yes it was the same one. He offered the Devilbiss building as a perfect example to blow up. It is still there, 15 years?) later.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:I have actual memories of the clips they used, showing run-down industrial areas as "perfect for a new Die Hard film."

I believe he said "Can't you just see Bruce Willis jumping off that building!"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Too bad Carty himself doesn't just jump off of it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Carty made Youtube two weeks ago.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with that video in the slightest. He was walking in a park, saw a huge group of kids and that a fight was about to start, so he did something about it. So what if he called one of the kids fatso? Maybe if we stopped treating all our kids like they were porcelain, then maybe they wouldn't be such bitches.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Maybe if we stopped treating all our kids like they were porcelain, then maybe they wouldn't be such bitches.
Children need to be allowed to be vicious; otherwise, they'll never learn how to cope w\ it when they're adults & the consequences become more volatile.

Supervised viciousness, though. Kids aren't that bright.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:What's interesting is that Hollywood would be easy to sway into filming here, they just need the right incentives. Look at what the state of Michigan is doing to lure in film crews: huge cuts in taxes, easy permit filings, built them a studio, etc.
What's the union situation like there? That actually has been playing a huge role in where some studios go. If they don't have to deal with unions for everything it's a big plus.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What's the union situation like there? That actually has been playing a huge role in where some studios go. If they don't have to deal with unions for everything it's a big plus.

Toledo is home of the Jeep plant, so you can pretty much guess the politics of the town and assume unions thrive here.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

Entertainment Unions are huge strong here. They get 20% off the top of my juke box and another 350 clams a year because it has speakers. I kid you not.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nothing like a union to harm an economy.