Anarchy Online

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote:EA's went out of business.
Good.
Vince

Post by Vince »

mbilderback wrote:I am, I've been into MMORPG's a lot. I'm playing CoH right now due to pressure from friends and it's pretty cool. Honestly, I'm only still playing because CoV is supposed to be released in 05.
Which server?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Anyone still have X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter? That would be fun with a bunch of us with fast pc's over broadband.

Wonder if it runs on xp.
I still got that bitch sitting around somewheres.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Vince wrote:
mbilderback wrote:I am, I've been into MMORPG's a lot. I'm playing CoH right now due to pressure from friends and it's pretty cool. Honestly, I'm only still playing because CoV is supposed to be released in 05.

Which server?
Virtue, I've been told that's the RP preferred server, although I can't tell.
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

I think I still have Xwing vs. Tie fighter, and if not hey its what like 10 bucks now anyway at most.

I had a few Coh characters on Virture server, that was a really fun game that I may revisit from time to time for a change of pace (and just to play with the character creator more), but I'm still catassing in Wow atm.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Did some leveling up last night. You increase in levels fairly quickly. I'm already level 11. However, that's nothing. To put it in perspective:

I have a healing skill of 59. I own a health kit that requires a healing skill of 228. You can only increase your healing skill 4 points per level. I hear people talking about being level 73.

So, I'm not even CLOSE to being competative. Plus side, as you increase in levels, the monsters you encounter are spawn realative to your current level. So, when I was level 2 and needed 2k points to advance, I was killing monsters that earned me 133 XPs. Now that I'm level 11, I'm killing monsters that are worth 425XPs. I need 7700 XPs to hit level 12. So, I have to do about the same amount of work. About 20 monsters. With the better healing kits I'm finding (healing 60 points instead of 11), I'm taking on harder monsters which earn me even more experience faster. I still have TONS of skill points to spend on skills. But, not sure what I want to spend them on. I've been concentrating on assault rifle and healing. Almost did SMG, but didn't want to put too many points into one area like that.

I'm reading about these 'things', I'll call them cartridges, that you can use that do many different things. One profession lets you use cartridges that let you temporarily be a different profession, allowing you to use their skills. This is good because some professions let you morph into different creatures which open up different fighting/healing/other skills. So, you can play in other professions without spending points there. Down side is it's all temp and it costs nano stuff to do it. Just using this as an example of the wacky things I'm hearing you can do. It's not as straight forward as UO or SWG. There are wacky things you can do.

There's also implants. You can get implants that boost skills. Eye implants that increase your aiming or awareness, arm implants, chest implants, etc. Didn't read all the descriptions of each one. But, there are lots. You need to spend skill points in certain areas to use certain implants. Haven't spent any points there to play with that stuff.

So, in summary. There stuff that lets you do different stuff and you can get things that do stuff too. It's pretty cool.

End of report.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Well. AO is dumb. You can only do the PvP that has risk/reward involved if you buy and expansion pack. And even then, that's limited. So, no more AO.

Why don't they make games you can lose any more?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Because people think they're special and entitled to stuff.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

What the fuck happened to that oh-so-long-awaited POS Shadowbane game that was in development for a few ice ages that made a gigantic splat as it hit the PvP-centred market? Thought they were gearing that towards PvP'ers.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

All I ever heard about it was that "it sucked." Never really heard in what way.
Troy

Post by Troy »

*With a topic name of AO i guess i should be more specific in that i am talking about Shadowbane*Edit

I played for a while, had a pretty good time...

the problem the developers didnt see was that if you pour a few months or so of work into building up a city with a guild you like and then the big guild on the server decideds to go after you... you lose everything, not only that, you lose your guildmates because you lose a way to communicate, a meeting place and all other sorts of things that mmorpgs usually have built into them.

Rather than rolling up your sleaves and starting all over again... your much more likely to move on... and this results and the big guild on the server having no one to war with... and then they start leaving because it is now too boring. Vicious cycle I suppose!

HOWEVER, i have to admit that knowing that anywhere i was going in the world could mean death at any moment and loss of items and gold certainly made it pretty fun in that two or three months of play.

Not to mention I built a character than not many people used or even used correctly and turned him into a monster damage dealer, Special Ops (stealth, flying, mind control, Kiting,) and generally badass mofo and getting my guild to all build the same class.

Our group of 20 or so excellent trained Warlocks against the inevitable horde of 300(seriously, or more) Big Guild zerglings was some of the best memories of an multiplayer game.

Our groups hitting their main force from multiple sides as they approached the city, then leading small forces away to annialate and finally all recalling to sell our lives on the walls ... too bad I didn't save the pictures of some of the battles, it was pretty impressive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That actually sounds pretty cool.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON wrote:Anyone still have X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter? That would be fun with a bunch of us with fast pc's over broadband.

Wonder if it runs on xp.
I think I found my floppy disks for it about a month ago. Yeah... floppies. I'm not sure if they're still good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't know it existed on floppies. Each CD has over 100 MB of content. That alotta floppies.
Paul

Post by Paul »

You know... now that I think about it, those were Doom ][ floppies. There were in with a bajillion backup floppies I had. (I did a backup to something like 80 floppies. If I remember right, floppy #3 or #4 had an error when I tried to restore).

It was the X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter manual I found. I have no idea where the CD is.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:It was the X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter manual I found. I have no idea where the CD is.
I know where you can find it before you waste a bunch of time looking for it.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

OS/2 Warp 3 on HD floppy. Now there was a headache to install.