John Woo

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

The latest comments made me think of Woo. Personally, I dislike his style. To me, it seems that he makes almost all non-thinking movies. I.E. plots that are easy to follow and predict, but makes up for this shallowness with kung-fu style action scenes. Being someone who isn't particularly thrilled with kung-fu action, i find this boring and annoying. This guy RUINED the MI movie after being set up perfectly for another great thinker action flick after MI 1 was soooo nice.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Maybe he only does good stuff with Travolta. I liked Broken Arrow and Faceoff.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

FaceOff rocked.

Just be sure to suspend disbelief, etc prior to his movies.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That was in Nic Cage's trio of really great action movies, right before he started sucking.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Travolta's line in Broken Arrow when told by Slater that he was the bad guy, "Yeah, I know. Ain't it great." wasn't in the script. That was Travolta honestly responding about getting to be the bad guy for once.

Nic definately made some wrong moves after his little run. Maybe his new action film will get him back on track?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:Nic definately made some wrong moves after his little run. Maybe his new action film will get him back on track?
Hope so... but it is PG-13.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

How the hell did my John Woo rant turn into a Travolta/Cage rant? ???

And as for the suspension of disbelief concept:
I will happily suspend disbelief as long as it fits into the paradigm of the movie you are making. If you're making a movie where people travel into space and encounter aliens, then I will suspend disbelief of the concept of space travel and the existance of aliens. However, if you suddenly have a normal human in that movie punch his way through a starship's bulkhead designed to hold when between normal atmosphere and a vacuum, then I call bullshit. It doesn't fit into the paradigm you have created in the movie.

With Woo, it always seems that he's trying to make movies where the hero is an average Joe, probably well trained in many things always including martial arts. Ok, no problem yet. When this guy is able to do things that are physically impossible by a normal human, I call bullshit because his paradigm puts the actor as a normal human in all regards except his training.

Beyond that, I think Woo relies too much on fight scenes and not enough on plot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

John Woo = slow motion white doves and 2-handed pistol fights.