Shark Tale - Minor Spoilers

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cute, but not a classic.

Why is it that cartoon movies seem to gain the "classic" title so easily?

Anyway, this film portrays Will Smith as Oscar a fish that isn't exactly at the top of the food chain. Oscar works at a whale wash (think car wash) as a tongue cleaner and he gets on the bad side of the wash's owner, Martin Scorcese. This leads Oscar into a situation where he is seen killing a shark. (that line is written as a non-spoiler.)

Oscar becomes a huge celebrity in his reef and attracts the attention of man eater Angelina Jolie and Don of sharks Robert DeNiro. Unfortunately, for Oscar, it also alienates him from the one person who loved him for who he was, Renee Zellweger. This all occurs while Oscar tries to deal with a vegetarian shark played by Jack Black.

The film is cute like I said, and gets its moral across well. The problem is its just not great. The characters aren't really developed that well, particularly DeNiro, Zellweger, Jolie, and Black. They exist, therefore, you're expected to accept them. The biggest problem is that Oscar is written soooo over the top that he gets annoying.

The humor is typical farting for the kids, subtle stuff for the adults, but there's not a lot of it. This film tries to rely on "cute" just too much.

On a sidenote, one joke involved the Benny Hill show and went right over the heads of the adults in the theater except me. That was sad. Benny Hill was hilarious.

Overall, Shark Tale is worth taking your kids or a first date to, just don't expect to be as entertained as Shrek or as into the story as The Iron Giant.

6 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

This is pathetic. I come here sure as hell I'll get a good review of Team America....And what do I find.....

Leisher has been reduced to rating kid movies!!! shrug.gif
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Trust me, I wanted to go see Team America, but it was the preggo wife's turn to pick a movie.

I did hear a great review of Team America. When asked how the movie was, a friend said:

"Those guys are going to hell."

Do reviews get better than that?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

My friend said TA sucked but he's a liberal hippy so it's probably like the greatest movie evar.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Zetleft wrote:My friend said TA sucked but he's a liberal hippy so it's probably like the greatest movie evar.
Stone and Parker apologized for how unrealistic the Michael Moore marionette was. They said it was impossible to make the thing fat enough.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

bwahaha
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Just so long as it's better than Basketball, I'll be happy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Shark Tale - ** out of 4.

But that may be generous.

Take every trite stereotypical plot line you can think of, dumb it down, and that's this movie.

Some bits of humour.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON wrote:
Zetleft wrote:My friend said TA sucked but he's a liberal hippy so it's probably like the greatest movie evar.

Stone and Parker apologized for how unrealistic the Michael Moore marionette was. They said it was impossible to make the thing fat enough.
Stone and Parker were on Jimmy Kimmel last week, or maybe the week before. I forget.
Anyway they said that a lot of Hollywood liberals went to the movie, thinking that it would be like F/911 (a Bush bashing film). They liked the first part of the movie because there was a lot of right-wing bashing, but then the jokes turned to the liberals (Michael Moore, Sean Penn, etc.) and a lot of the audience became offended.

They also said that Janeane Garofalo seemed cool with it, understanding that it was just a joke, but a lot of other celebrities are pissed off at them.