Greatest Movie Ever Sold - At 'Dem Flicks with Malcolm

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Synopsis:

Morgan Spurlock, the dude that ate McDonald's for a month in Supersize Me, decides to make a movie about corporate sponsorship, for corporate sponsorship, funded 100% by corporate sponsorship.

Review:

I'll say first off I'm somewhat impressed with the companies that decided to give this guy cash. I'll probably buy a bottle of that pomegranate juice I see whored on the TV all the time. There aren't any huge companies that signed on. I'd say I'm disappointed in them, but they're large enough to afford saying, "Fuck you," to novel and creative ideas.

On with the flick. It spends time running down two threads:

1) Morgan trying to convince sponsors to give him money.

2) Morgan talking to other TV/movie/media folk asking them about their experiences with corporate sponsorship.

During his sales pitches, you can see how he's managed to ingrain himself in Hollywood. He gives some presentations that are smooth as hell. It's weird seeing him solicit for advertising in a film that is solely about advertising, but $1.5M says he pulled it off. If he was willing to be a soulless asshole on a full time basis, he'd probably make a good talent agent or manager.

Verdict:

An entertaining documentary, as far as documentaries go. Especially considering the obscene amounts of cash that go into product tie-ins with blockbuster releases.

Edited By Malcolm on 1422241568
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've never liked Spurlock since Super Size Me...so never.

I didn't like how he fabricated his condition for his documentary, and was given a pass. (ala Michael Moore's "documentaries")

So a guy who eats really healthy and works out everyday is going to completely stop working out and eat only from the unhealthiest of options at McDonalds, and we're supposed to be surprised that his health falters?

The problem is that he didn't really explain that in the movie. He made it seem like all he was doing was eating McDonald's. He probably wouldn't be as famous now if his documentary showed him still working out and eating healthy options from the McDonald's menu or even continuing to work out while eating the garbage options.

But don't take my word for it, there are other documentaries that deal with this documentary, and even one that's basically the exact opposite. A guy loses weight by doing what Spurlock does in his documentary, only backwards. He starts exercising and eating the salads and whatnot McDonald's offers rather than Big Macs and fries.

So yeah, that's always soured me on Spurlock.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 've never liked Spurlock since Super Size Me...so never.

I didn't like how he fabricated his condition for his documentary, and was given a pass. (ala Michael Moore's "documentaries")
Remember when Spurlock had his own #MeToo moment?
He also wrote that he suffered from depression and has used alcohol to cope with the mental illness since he was 13 years old and that he hasn’t been “sober for more than a week in 30 years.”
Remember the 'liver damage' he had from the diet?
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If corporations were petty like an ex, supersizing a meal would be free today at McD.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:39 pm If corporations were petty like an ex, supersizing a meal would be free today at McD.
That would be awesome.