NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Wow. Penix at 8 is a reach.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

NFL

Post by Cakedaddy »

I see the draft has started. Who took McCarthy?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Pats and Vikings tried to call booger eater's bluff on McCarthy.
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm I see the draft has started. Who took McCarthy?
He went to the Vikings.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

NFL

Post by Cakedaddy »

I was kidding. Didn't think he'd really go that fast.

Will be interesting to see how he does when he doesn't know what the defense is doing.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 am I was kidding. Didn't think he'd really go that fast.

Will be interesting to see how he does when he doesn't know what the defense is doing.
What was shocking is that he was the 5th QB selected, and had Denver been above the Vikings, he would have been the 6th.

Penix to the Falcons was the shock of the draft.

Seeing non-Steeler people saying the Steelers got the steal of the night in Troy Fautanu. Cool.

What was alarming to me is the record set for offensive players taken. Only 9 D players in round 1? They need to think about adjusting some rules to make defenses matter again. You need O-D balance. If the league shifts too far one way or the other, it's going to get boring and people will stop watching. You don't want to become the NBA where the majority of the game is pointless and only the last two minutes matter.
Cakedaddy

NFL

Post by Cakedaddy »

What's surprising to me is Toledo has someone in the first round.

"Toledo? Why was he there if he's this good?"
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

The Rockets have had good players.

Also, the era of "Big schools are where the best go to play" is over. Every college game can now be seen somewhere. Coverage of every game exists, the portal is open, NIL money is flowing, and players want to start and get exposure.

Plus, like the NFL draft, it's not an exact science. Great players get skipped over. This happens in all sports. If it didn't you'd only hear the names of like a dozen schools during player intros.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm Guardian caps allowed during games this year.

I wonder how teams will get their logos onto them?

Goodell wants 18 games and more international games.
Whoa. Dont worry, they will. Those things are still a little freaky to me.

18 games makes a lot more sense than 17
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Seems like early opinions of the Steelers and Commanders' draft efforts are positive. Here's hoping.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, I'm digging both. I've heard people saying the Steelers got a steal in the 1st and the LB they took in the 3rd Saban loved in a big way. All the talking heads were shocked he was still out there.

Congrats Stranger. The Watson trade is now over.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Kiper's rankings
Carolina Panthers: B-
Top needs entering the draft: Wide receiver, center, edge defender

It's difficult to start here without mentioning what the Panthers don't have in this draft, and that's the No. 1 overall pick. They traded their 2024 first-rounder a year ago to move up for quarterback Bryce Young, a move that didn't work out as Young struggled and Carolina went 2-15. In hindsight, it looks like a bad deal, but there's plenty of time for Young to turn it around and for this franchise to get back on track under new coach Dave Canales. It's worth noting that while I have Caleb Williams rated higher than Young in my pre-draft evaluations, Young's 2023 grade is similar to Jayden Daniels' and Drake Maye's this year. He can be a great player with support around him.

The Panthers were active on the first two days of the draft, making four trades, two down and two up the board. They ended up with two players who will directly help Young in Xavier Legette (32) and Jonathon Brooks (46). Legette, my sixth-ranked wideout, put up 1,255 yards in a breakout season. Carolina needed an injection of youth and talent in its wide receiver room, and Legette will give the offense some juice after the catch. Brooks is my top-ranked running back, a powerful and quick runner who is coming off a torn ACL. As I wrote Friday night, I expect him to make fantasy football managers happy in 2024.

Ja'Tavion Sanders (101) is a toolsy tight end in a 6-4 frame. I thought he was a little faster when I watched tape -- he ran a 4.69-second 40-yard dash at the combine -- but he caught 99 passes in his Texas career. I see him getting early snaps for an offense that has to get better outlets for Young. Linebacker Trevin Wallace (72) went about two rounds higher than I had rated him, but he has some stickiness in coverage against tight ends. One under-the-radar asset Carolina added in its trades on Friday was a 2025 second-rounder from the Rams. I'm a fan of these types of deals for teams that aren't close to contending.

It's difficult to go much higher for Carolina with this grade, but if the organization's priority was to help Young in 2024, it did a decent job.
Cleveland Browns: C+
Top needs entering the draft: Running back, wide receiver, defensive tackle

I'm usually a believer in taking the best prospect available -- within reason -- at most times. Don't reach for a need. But when a team doesn't have a first-round pick, it becomes necessary to make sure it gets a guy who can plug a hole at a priority position. I say all of this because there were several really good running backs and receivers available when the Browns drafted defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr. (54). Looking at this roster, I would have gone a different direction.

Hall's tape at Ohio State was maddening at times because he didn't consistently produce. He went a little high based on my rankings. I did like the selection of guard Zak Zinter (85), who will add some youth to Cleveland's O-line. The Browns finally addressed the wide receiver position in Round 5 with Jamari Thrash (156), who had some issues with concentration drops but was productive in his lone season at Louisville. Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson (206) is a long-armed linebacker with the tenacity to make a team because of his special teams ability.

Cleveland didn't take a running back, so maybe Nick Chubb will be back healthy to start the season and things will be OK. I would have added some insurance, though, based on the depth of the class.
Pittsburgh Steelers: A-
Top needs entering the draft: Center, wide receiver, offensive tackle

The Steelers have had a fascinating offseason, acquiring quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Justin Fields while giving a big free agent deal to linebacker Patrick Queen. They parted ways with several significant contributors, including quarterback Kenny Pickett, wide receiver Diontae Johnson, cornerback Patrick Peterson and center Mason Cole. They have a talented roster, but their offense was dreadful last season, averaging 16.9 points per game, which ranked 28th in the league. Could they find an O-lineman on Day 1 who could help them close the gap in the AFC North?

The answer is yes, unequivocally. Troy Fautanu (20) to Pittsburgh is one of my favorite picks in this draft. While I ranked him as my No. 1 guard, he played left tackle at Washington, and some front office execs thought he'd stick there. I just think he's a tenacious blocker with the potential to be an All-Pro. Based on Pittsburgh's depth chart, I see him starting on the left side.

GM Omar Khan went back to the O-line with two of his next four selections, taking Zach Frazier (51), my second-ranked center, and Mason McCormick (119), my sixth-ranked guard. That's at least two new starters for the Steelers' line. Sandwiched between those were two picks that were values on my board. Wideout Roman Wilson (84) had 12 touchdowns last season, and his stock was boosted after he ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the combine. Payton Wilson (98) dropped due to some medical concerns, but he's a speedy off-ball linebacker with range. Cornerback Ryan Watts (195) isn't speedy, but he can make this roster.

It's not easy for me to praise the Steelers, but this is a stellar class with good players throughout.
Washington Commanders: A-
Top needs entering the draft: Quarterback, offensive line, cornerback

The Commanders have undergone a total reset of their franchise over the past year, with a new owner (Josh Harris), general manager (Adam Peters) and coach (Dan Quinn). Peters, who had been in the 49ers' front office since 2017, had some capital to work with in this draft, with six picks on the first two days.

The first step, though? Picking a quarterback. With 2023 starter Sam Howell traded to Seattle, Washington had its choice of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye and J.J. McCarthy at No. 2 overall. In my rankings, I had Daniels at No. 2, slightly ahead of Maye -- No. 6 -- with McCarthy nine spots later. In the end, the Commanders went with Daniels, a dual-threat playmaker who won the Heisman Trophy last season, and it was the right call. While he won't have quite the level of pass-catchers around him as Caleb Williams, Daniels has a true No. 1 in Terry McLaurin and a solid No. 2 in Jahan Dotson. Daniels is going to thrive in Kliff Kingsbury's wide-open offense and put up some massive numbers.

I wrote on Friday night about Washington's Day 2 haul, which is talented and deep. Taking defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton (36) is an example of the best-available-prospect approach; he has Pro Bowl upside as an interior pass-rusher. Mike Sainristil (50) is a really fun slot corner who can pick off passes and blitz off the edge. Tight end Ben Sinnott (53) can be an outlet for Daniels and upgrade as a run-blocker. Brandon Coleman (67) is a guard/tackle hybrid who could play early. And while I had other available receivers rated higher than Luke McCaffrey (100), the former quarterback turned heads with his contested-catch ability last season. Of the Day 3 fliers, I give linebacker Jordan Magee (139) the best chance to make the team because of his speed and size.

I really like this class overall, and whether it goes from great to amazing could hinge on Coleman becoming a starter. If he does and Daniels is a star, this could set the foundation for the Commanders returning to the playoffs -- in a couple of years.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

I dare say we beat the Browns in thee preseason super bowl!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I missed this initially, but I like it. Low risk, high reward.

Bills drafted someone who has never played football before.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Good luck to him.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Steelers decline Harris' 5th year option too.

Ok, more explanation here and now I feel better about them declining Fields' too. This is a prove it year for them.