California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

jfc
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Wait a minute. . . 'we'? Who's this mystery 'partner' you're buying a house with!?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 pm Wait a minute. . . 'we'? Who's this mystery 'partner' you're buying a house with!?
Her name is Jessica, and she's a pretty, left handed, outdoorsy, woman in tech. Who I've convinced to both play Dungeons and Dragons and go Spearfishing with me. (It would appear I have a type). Been dating since early last year.

My divorce finally worked through the CA family court and I'm single as of August 2023.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Congrats!

When you spearfish, do you catch and release or do you keep 'em?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:31 pm The story you all want to hear is this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6851 ... 5155_zpid/

East Bay, views of the entire bay area from every room and balcony in the house. List price 1.05M. We went 175k over list. 10 bids, we were last place.

Property sold $1.6m, all cash.
Why does that home look so familiar? Did you post that previously?

Also, these $1M homes are actually cheaper than I expected as well.

Back in 2005-2006 my boss was from CA by way of India. (Or should I have switched those?) Anyway, he saw my less than $100K starter home and said, "That home would easily be $1M in CA." He said his current house wasn't much bigger at all and his was over $1M. He would have been somewhere around Newark.

Also, congrats on the new lady friend.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm When you spearfish, do you catch and release or do you keep 'em?
I think you're joking, but just in case. No, taking fish involves putting a large hole in it. If it doesn't kill the fish immediately it is imperative you do so before the blood and movement attracts something higher in the foot chain. But unlike regular fishing, spearfishing lets you be super selective, so if I'm taking a shot at something, it's because I know I can cook it and eat it onshore.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:11 pm
Why does that home look so familiar? Did you post that previously?
I bet I linked it to ya'll during one of the BAR nights.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Troy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 pm I think you're joking
I was. :-)
Troy

Post by Troy »

Oakland is the worst city in the Bay Area. By a huge margin. Constant crime, a completely neutered police force by design, even the nice houses up in the hills get burglarized all the time. Not just property crime, which is widespread across the bay. But the BAD stuff, killings, robberies at gun point, worse. And a city council that enables it all and votes the farthest left of left.

But the Oakland airport has a problem, everyone has gotten all these bribes to to do a large expansion of the airport. But passengers aren't showing up, because it's OAKLAND. It's so bad even international travels have heard about how dangerous it is. Flight attendants get their car's broken into at gas stations near the Oakland airport (first hand account :wink: ), plenty of hapless tourists too. The word is out.

So what does the Airport board do? Vote to change the name to the incredibly confusing "San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport." It's like the Airport board is taking bribes directly from gangs who break into clueless tourist rental cars.

Fucking Oakland. What a shithole: https://sfist.com/2024/04/12/oakland-po ... port-name/
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I heard the Oakland airport was closer to downtown SF than SFO is
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm I heard the Oakland airport was closer to downtown SF than SFO is
About the same. I travel for a living, live in the East Bay, and have never once used the Oakland airport, if that tells you anything about how convenient it is.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It's always good government when they need to trick people as a matter of course.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What's really embarrassing are all the "men" standing around on their cell phones calling for help.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

i'd step in for a woman, child, or clearly outmatched dude who didn't have it coming.

I wouldn't step in for a paid security guy. He should have been a hell of a lot better than that.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Yeah dude was an ex, or active duty cop, I wouldn’t have jumped in either.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You don't have to jump in and start throwing haymakers. Just help separate the parties like the two dudes who show up at the end do.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Still, pass. Crazy people carry AIDS needles around just to poke peeps.

Taze, sure. Grapple, no.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If it's the good AIDS that Magic Johnson got, then who cares?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Meh. Even if it's just cooties. No grappling. It would be too funny watching them writhe on the ground, tbh.