California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:04 pm Conspiracy theory: They want to make FF unaffordable to improve the health of Americans, which the government is now paying for.
I literally posted that in the CONSPIRACY THEORIES thread a bit ago.

viewtopic.php?p=236155#p236155

What should upset you is the insidious way my thoughts are seeping into your brain and influencing your own.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Hopefully fewer of those people will work in fast food while also sucking the government teat due to the wage increase.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:33 pm Hopefully fewer of those people will work in fast food while also sucking the government teat due to the wage increase.
Corporations and jobs are leaving CA. Where do you think they're going when fast food fires them?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Banker jobs prolly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leaving the state?

There's a tax for that!

$68B in debt.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am$68B in debt.
Deficit, not debt. $520Bn in debt.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am$68B in debt.
Deficit, not debt. $520Bn in debt.
Correct. My bad.

And damn!! Maybe stop spending?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 pm And damn!! Maybe stop spending?
Srsly. NC is as 15Bn debt, and had a $3Bn surplus.

CA has 4x the people NC does. But 34x the debt. Admittedly, CA has $280Bn of revenue vs $33Bn in NC, so like 9x.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

But with people and corporations leaving, isn't their revenue shrinking? Point being, shouldn't they start reducing spending as well?

What does it take for them to default or go bankrupt? Would the feds have to bail them out?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, relative to the US ($34 Trillion with $4.4 Trillion of revenue), the states are doing much better.

I looked at various states, and there's not really much significant difference. TX, CA, NY, MA, and CT are high on per capital debt. But they also have higher revenues, so if you relate it to income its not as bad. Doesn't seem to be any states without debt. Not even Alaska.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm Doesn't seem to be any states without debt.
Had you asked me True or False, I probably would have leaned True, just because "politicians". Lawyers become politicians, not accountants.

We need...was it Charles Grobin?...the accountant from Dave to show up and balance everyone's budgets.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Do you want to tell a little girl she can't have a home, so that we can make people feel better about the cars they already own?
Troy

Post by Troy »

California could wave its hand and fix the debt issue by assessing property taxes at current value rather than last sale value.

It would create a massive homeless crisis, on top of the existing one, but they could do it.

Me, unhoused person sitting on cash wishing inventory was higher, is a proponent.
Last edited by Troy on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

My first thought was, it would drive house prices down. Almost a crash scenario. It WOULD push people out of their homes, so they have to find a cheaper one, but ALL houses are too expensive, so no one can buy them, prices start going down?

But then, would it cause a massive downsizing shift? Everyone just down sizes, pushing the lowest tier to homeless? Does the push down from the top, cause prices to rise at the bottom?

In the end, I feel like houses, across the board, are cheaper. The highest tier houses would stay empty, until their prices drop. And if theirs drop, then it seems it would push the rest down as well. The top tier houses would stay empty for a while though.

In the end, less revenue because houses are all cheaper?

I think Troy just single-handedly caused the next major recession.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Look as long as I get my 3/2 house on a 1/3 of an acre in wine country I'll deal. Just grow fruit and veggies, get a goat, and ride out the storm.

e: Narrator: "he DID NOT get the house he is describing" - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1885 ... 8219_zpid/
Lost before I could convince my partner to bid, to an all cash offer. When she finally decided, we would have probably been competetive, even to the cash offer, but it was too late. (less than a week on the market)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is that the servant's quarters?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:22 pm e: Narrator: "he DID NOT get the house he is describing" - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1885 ... 8219_zpid/
That was cheaper than I expected.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:08 pm
Troy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:22 pm e: Narrator: "he DID NOT get the house he is describing" - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1885 ... 8219_zpid/
That was cheaper than I expected.
Was a fixer., despite the nice pics. We worked up a budget of 100k initial work in the first month. Furnace/AC/Electrical/Roofing. Would have been glorious. Long term would have replaced every fixture and appliance in the property.
Troy

Post by Troy »

The story you all want to hear is this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6851 ... 5155_zpid/

East Bay, views of the entire bay area from every room and balcony in the house. List price 1.05M. We went 175k over list. 10 bids, we were last place.

Property sold $1.6m, all cash.
Troy

Post by Troy »

For a week after we would wake up in the morning, or see each other across a dinner table and randomly go:

"LAST? REALLY??" and start laughing.