WKRP in Cincinnati

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

This is one of my childhood memories.... Dad used to watch this.

Anyway, I've noticed that a couple times in the release I'm watching, my memory isn't matching what I'm seeing.

There's an episode in S1 where a thief scams $5k in contest money from the station, and Johnny Fever saves the day last minute. This isn't what I just saw, and I went to the internet to see if I was trippin....

Nope. There was an alternate ending to that.

https://wkrp-relived.blogspot.com/2015/ ... d-win.html

So there you go. I remembered a TV show from like 1979 or something. GenX rules.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

Also I remember Andy having a conversation in the first episodes with the black DJ about what his radio name would be, and he was resisting "Venus" because it was a woman's name. That also wasn't in this version.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:31 am Also I remember Andy having a conversation in the first episodes with the black DJ about what his radio name would be, and he was resisting "Venus" because it was a woman's name. That also wasn't in this version.
I was right. This scene was missing from the version currently on plex.

I'm not saying anything needs to be fixed..... I believe there were a few versions of this show getting released, due to trying to get the original music rights because the RIAA is trash. But it's just weird the things they've changed in this "final" version.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

I don't remember Les Nesman being stealth macho. My memory of him was one-note nebbish, but here he is being quick with a good "dude" comeback, and having a secret fitness routine.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

Damn. I remembered the "army deserter" episode, but I don't remember it being that fucked up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by TheCatt »

I remember very little of WKRP, I was young when it was on (4-8)
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

I'm almost done with season 3, of 4.

There was a slight tonal shift after season 1. When the show was new and unproven, I feel like the acting and ideas were more loose, and willing to take risks. Which fit perfectly for a show about an AM radio station, ranked 16 in an 18 station market. But I feel like the show blew up, and in later seasons they're playing it a little safer, trying to keep the audience/advertisers they had. It loses something.

Anyway, I just watched an episode over lunch an I'm still struck how all of these characters seem 1-note at a glance, but then there's an episode that focuses on them and they get fleshed out and they become 3 dimensional. It was well done.

And I still get a good chuckle once or twice an episode, which I can't say about a lot of current comedy shows.

There wasn't internet back then. Peeps got to watch it 40 years later and analyze after the fact.
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

Late season 3, a local preacher threatens the station with boycott if they don't stop playing sinfully rock and roll music. There are a few scenes of gentle Mr. Carlson arguing with the guy, civilly, about the nature of censorship, religion, morality, and coercion.

The preacher says WKRP has the right to play whatever it wants, but he has the right to weaponize his flock to threaten WKRP's advertisers. And they do, one of their oldest clients comes to Carlson and says he feels shame, but he's wanting to retire and sell his business, but he can't if those religious people shut him down.

WKRP addressed cancel culture in 1981.
TheCatt
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by TheCatt »

I mean, cancel culture has been around for centuries.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:17 pm I mean, cancel culture has been around for centuries.
True, but previously they had the balls to burn you at the stake.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

WKRP in Cincinnati

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:31 am Also I remember Andy having a conversation in the first episodes with the black DJ about what his radio name would be, and he was resisting "Venus" because it was a woman's name. That also wasn't in this version.
Aha! I knew I remembered correctly.... the scene I remember was from an episode near the end of its run. They're looking back at how they all first met.