Godzilla Minus One (2023)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Toho's latest entry.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It was decent. At one point in the movie my review would have been, "It's Jaws, except Godzilla."

It felt like a very classic Godzilla movie.

Cinematography: A. It's pretty, a lot of times.
CGI: A to D, depending on scene.
Story: B+. Good, but drags a bit at times.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:47 pm It felt like a very classic Godzilla movie.
Exactly. This felt like the Godzilla movies we grew up with, but done way better.

The story was well told and made you root for the characters. I also feel like there was a very solid message made about the sacrifices of men in society. Maybe even a subtle anti-suicide message, particularly for veterans? It did drag a bit and the ending got cheesy, but forgivable.

Godzilla was amped up something fierce. That heat ray was unlike anything we've seen before. They also addressed his invulnerability in a new way that will remind you of other big name fictional characters.

Noriko in the business outfit was yum a dum dum.

And yeah, the CGI varied from "Is this fucking real?" to "Fire your CGI guys." Thankfully, there was more of A than B.

Loved the film and I think it deserves more praise. Even my 14 year old daughter loved it. The story is a big fuck you to the standard Hollywood crap writing, but the action was nowhere near what we produce.

There is one pretty large flaw late in the film that I haven't heard anyone mention yet.
Did you notice he was standing at the surface of the deepest trench?

Well worth seeing in a theater.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh yeah, I did notice that. Pacific Rim had the same "characteristic."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."