Preserve your BANANA PEPPERS

For the self-sufficiency stuff that you do, or want to discuss
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

As I stated before, either this was just a good year for peppers in zone 6a, or I've just figured out the secret of composting with chicken shit. I planted 2 Hungarian Banana Pepper plants, and bunnies ate them down to nubs after a week, and then they came back and now I'm overloaded. I've been eating a couple per week since July, but today I picked a couple dozen that are still out there.

I decided to can/pickle them. They're good on burgers and subs and stuff that way.

Step 1 create universe

Step 2 grow garden

Step 3: find a recipe you want to try:
PXL_20230918_193552462.MP.jpg
Step 4: Pick your peppers
PXL_20230918_193547382.MP.jpg
Step 5: start the vinegar solution to boiling while you cut your peppers. By the time you're done cutting you should have a boil. Use a funnel and fillem up.
PXL_20230918_195641041.MP.jpg
That was a dozen-ish peppers. The recipe didn't make enough vinegar for 2 full quarts, so I downgraded one jar to a pint. Total work: 30 minutes (not counting creation of universe/growing garden).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

In retrospect, not even sure why I started with quart jars. I have tons of pint jars and even smaller, I should have defaulted to those. Duh.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."