The Man in the High Castle

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What if the Axis won WW2?

3-4 storylines. One in Japan occupied San Francisco, one in Nazi occupied NYC, one in the "Neutral Zone," lawless, High Plaines USA. The big picture seems pretty plausible for what the world would look like by 1960.

Season 1 had an unintentionally funny thing where there's this guy with a basement apartment and absolutely no one ever waits to be invited in.

I just finished season 2. Season 1 felt just barely good enough to continue.... but in S2 things get appropriately big that the season finale was exciting.

And, it turns out this is kinda sci-fi. So.

Worth watching. On Amazon Prime.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think i stopped after S2, was watching it as it came out. lemme know if s3 + s4 are worth it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think a big problem with this show.... and why it didn't get huge... is because one of the storylines you follow is an American Nazi. It's very clear he's a Nazi. It's very clear he's done, and does, horrible things. But by making him one of the foci of the story, showing his family, travails, etc..... he sort of becomes one of the protagonists. And you start seeing him dealing with even worse humans, and you start to feel like you're on his side. The Nazi.

Yeesh.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:54 pm I think a big problem with this show.... and why it didn't get huge... is because one of the storylines you follow is an American Nazi. It's very clear he's a Nazi. It's very clear he's done, and does, horrible things. But by making him one of the foci of the story, showing his family, travails, etc..... he sort of becomes one of the protagonists. And you start seeing him dealing with even worse humans, and you start to feel like you're on his side. The Nazi.

Yeesh.
And the show MAKES you care about him through his son and his disability secret.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

S3 was ok. The finale didn't seem quite a epic as S2, but I guess it kinda was with the Year Zero festivities. Makes me think we need to do something about these dangerous youths, everywhere, who are just one motivated speech away from gassing jews.

S4 is the final one. Starting it soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

S3 ending was meh.

S4 started with a main character dying between seasons, so that was concerning, but the penultimate episode had a great "holy shit" moment, so my hopes are high for the series finale tonight.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think they wanted a 5th season, ending was............. not quite done. But mostly done. I don't know.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've had no time to digest, but I think I'm ultimately unsatisfied with the ending. They found out they were cancelled but were allowed to make the entire 4th season, they could have done better.

John Smith knew his wife couldn't go through the portal, because she was still alive in the other world. What was the plan there?

Joh Smith was also a good character because he was smart. Every season he was always 3 steps ahead of his opponents. Then he gets to run NA all by himself, and doesn't know how to not attack the western states? What? If he'd have stayed true to the character as he was written, when he authorized the air wing to attack it should have been "surprise nuke for berlin." I feel like that was the character they built, not "I don't know how to stop this." That guy came out of nowhere. They literally never showed him lost, incompetent,, or over his head, then in the last episode he was deer in headlights. No.