Rent Control

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Rent Control

Post by TheCatt »

WSJ Opinion Piece About Possible Upcoming SCOTUS case

Two landlord lobbying groups are petitioning the Supreme Court to overturn New York City's rent stabilization law. The law, which was enacted in 1969, governs all apartments in buildings with six or more units that were built before 1974. The law limits rent increases and provides protections for tenants, such as the right to have their leases renewed and not be evicted except for legal reasons.
The lawsuit argues that the law prevents owners from occupying their own property, changing its use, or leaving it vacant once a tenant's lease is up.
The case started in July 2019 after the state strengthened tenant protections. The 2019 amendments to the law imposed additional burdens on property owners.
I 100% am against rent control, property tax control, and all these other controls. They are market distorting bullshit. One nice thing about this SCOTUS is that it might get fixed. At least somewhat.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Rent Control

Post by Leisher »

I am with you here. Rent control had a purpose, but that purpose has passed.

However, you could talk me into a new law to replace it called something like "Rent Ceiling Control".
-Locks in rent rates for military members who get sent overseas. Protect them from eviction while they are gone, and for X amount of time after they return.
-Perhaps a similar rule about people who get hospitalized and can't work.
-Maybe a rule to protect tenants when a building is being sold? Not preventing the sale, but preventing a really quick "Get out" order.
-The ceiling part could be something along the lines of not allowing rent to be raised more than X% annually or it has to match similar rental units, I don't know I'm spit balling.
-There definitely needs to be something to protect the current residents of rent controlled apartments from being financially destroyed if this law gets thrown out.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Rent Control

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:07 pm -There definitely needs to be something to protect the current residents of rent controlled apartments from being financially destroyed if this law gets thrown out.
It's called letting people build more apartments. So fix zoning laws, too.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Rent Control

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think we need an Affordable Rent Act that makes rent free for a lot of people, and raises the rent for a bunch of other people. Just work with the landlords for the details.
GORDON
Site Admin

Rent Control

Post by GORDON »

But ultimately just makes rent higher for everyone because there will be a massive bureaucracy in the middle taking their cut and running things.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Rent Control

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:37 pm I think we need an Affordable Rent Act that makes rent free for a lot of people, and raises the rent for a bunch of other people. Just work with the landlords for the details.
We really need a like button.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”