Far Cry New Dawn

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry New Dawn

Post by Leisher »

Everything I said about Far Cry 5 remains true.

This picks up after one of the controversial endings of Far Cry 5, but about 20-30 years later. You're still in Hope County, but things have changed. (Not spoiling the end of FC5.) I am not a fan of the villains here, and it really seems like they want you to feel bad for them or something. I didn't, and judging by stuff I've seen online, nobody else did either. Still, Ubisoft might have created a new universe within the FC universe. This wasn't just a DLC, but a full on continuation of the FC 5 story that really builds upon the mythos of Hope County.

This is shorter in content than FC5 and paced faster. They use the same map, but everything has been destroyed.

The best addition is the expeditions. These are special missions you take from your main base to locations off the map. One is Alcatraz, another is an aircraft carrier, there's a bridge, and an amusement park in the bayou. Those missions are about getting in, finding a package, and then getting out. However, if you get spotted all hell breaks lose and it becomes a non-stop firefight. This happens anyway about 1 minute after you get the package and you have to defend your LZ waiting on the chopper. Very, very fun and hectic firefights.

The worst addition is replaying the outposts, which are a staple of the FC series. Now you can allow them to be recaptured for a resource reward. The recapturing results in beefed up defenses. Listen, this is still fun as hell whether you're sneaking or going in guns blazing, but it kills some of the feeling of accomplishment as you take land away from the baddies. It's a mechanic that kills your immersion.

This does introduce a much needed character, which is the Enforcer. These are upgraded enemies who have a ton of health, you need a perfect shot to one hit them, and who cannot be tracked like the normal enemies. I want to see an outpost of nothing but them and let's see someone get an "Undetected" achievement there...

Overall, it feels like a DLC, but it's a good one. Finding it at $10 or less is a great price. Recommended for FPS peeps and FC fans. Although, skip it if you haven't played FC5. You'll be completely lost by the story.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry New Dawn

Post by Leisher »

BTW, The Judge is exactly who you think.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”