Vegas Restaurants

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:38 am Any place at/near Mandalay Bay you'd recommend?
I don't go that far south. The closest restaurant I've been to MB is Julian Serrano Tapas at the Aria. Highly recommend.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by Leisher »

Citizens in Mandalay Bay is a cheaper and more casual place. Good food. Not great, but good.

The Truffle parm fries were meh though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by Leisher »

In Manadalay Bay:

Cantina [something German] - yep, a German Mexican food place. Great atmosphere. Wife says the margarita was great. Good salsa. Everything else is desperate for salt. Guacamole was meh, again, needed salt. I’m guessing the owner or their spouse is a health nut because they have a massive vegan menu. So they probably poo-pooed salt too. Bland food.

Ri Ra- Irish pub. LOUD restaurant. Live music and loud people. Fun vibe and really a pub feel in the first two rooms. I have great hearing but I can get overwhelmed by sound. I couldn’t hear my wife across the table. Food was good. Not great though. I would definitely revisit, but wouldn’t get the fish and chips. It was good and a large piece perfectly cooked, but Bag of Nails in Toledo has kind of ruined that dish for me because their version is so good (the spicy one).

Retro - You can tell this restaurant was in the space of another failed restaurant. The atmosphere screams, "This place is too big to do the whole thing in our theme..." The concept is old school taste, but in new world style. Big old 80s glassware. The plates were the coolest part. They were an odd design, but then I realized they were exact replicas of paper plates. We ordered four items (it says "Family Style", but it's not really - per our waiter). Cheesecake creme brule was delicious. Green Bean Casserole had the taste, but was missing the texture (There was no crunch.). Pepperoni rolls were desperately missing pepperoni, but all the rest of it was on point. Finally was the pot roast, which was beef cheek. My wife loved it. It's a dish I should have loved. The cheeks were as tender as could be, but unfortunately, I had a weird reaction. You know how some people can't eat cilantro because they think it tastes like soap? Or how the Chinese Sweet and Sour Soup smells like rancid garbage juice to some people (myself included)? Well, for some reason, I was VERY aware I was eating cheeks. I wasn't even remotely worried about eating them, and I swear I had them previously. However, the taste of these made me almost vomit. It tasted like fat mixed with a ton of spit.

DTW is heading back to the Venetian next year, so I probably won't be staying at MB again anytime soon. Although, I was told that if you're an out of towner coming for a game, MB is the place to stay as there's a walkway directly to the stadium.

Heading to Capos for dinner tonight. - Capo's was good as always, but a minor drop off on this visit. They painted the outside and redid a lot of the inside. Looked great. The meatball app was still amazing. My wife got the Uncle Pauly's as always and while good, she said it was missing the spiciness that it had on previous trips. It still is a POWERFUL garlic sauce. I got the sawed off sausage and peppers. The sausage was really good, but the dish was done in a demiglaze, and that didn't work for me. Had it been in their spicy marinara, like the meatballs, it'd be a perfect dish.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:12 pm Ri Ra- Irish pub.
You don't need to go to Vegas just to visit a chain restaurant! We used to have one here in Raleigh, but it burned down.
Leisher
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by Leisher »

Ri Ra is a chain or just a coincidental same name situation?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:24 pm Ri Ra is a chain or just a coincidental same name situation?
Chain. But it's a very small chain. I think there's only a handful of them.
Leisher
Site Admin

Vegas Restaurants

Post by Leisher »

Updated my previous post.

House of Blues - Yes, I know this is a chain. Good food. Ate there three times, once for breakfast and twice for lunch. First two visits were by invitation for the conference. The last visit was my wife's pick. Food was good each time. Too many items to cover, but a solid experience.

Santana was there all week too.