Forgive Me Father

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Forgive Me Father

Post by Leisher »

FPS with an art style like an old noir comic, but with color.

The setting and tone can be summed up as Lovecraft meets Serious Sam's waves of baddies.

I'll start by saying this is underrated and should get more love. It has character despite the story being about as basic as possible with meaningless story items throughout the game. You play as a priest or journalist and I believe each gives you a different strength. You also gain additional abilities with XP and you must spend points on a tree.

The difficulty will scale appropriately. There will be a point where you'll feel like "Ok, now I just go through the motions to beat this game." Believe me, shit's going to get difficult. Seriously, I got to the end of World 3 and was in "end this already" mode. That's when stuff started to turn up in World 4. New enemies that had me pissed thinking they were cheap until I learned to deal with them. The battles you get into later in World 4 and then throughout World 5 can be quite fun and challenging.

And yeah, there are a LOT of enemies. Many different types, and while some are skins, the vast majority are different with different attacks.

The weapons are both good and bad. None of them will make you feel ultra powerful, but none are insanely weak either. You really do need to pay attention to what you're using throughout. Some weapons are going to be better fits than others depending on the situation. You might think it cheap to use a pistol to kill an enemy caught on the environment, but it's not. You're saving ammo and you'll need it. Ammo really does get scare at certain points of the game. There was a part I was stuck on that I had to keep running through figuring out how best to conserve ammo because I was super low and only had 1 HP. Which, I should mention that saves are only manual at checkpoints. The town drunk(?) will holler at you and you'll see the large totem. Quick saves are fine and you just need to hit "E" and it's done.

Level design is not bad for a horror. Early on it was easy to find all the secrets and whatnot. Later it got tough and I'd finish many levels without find most.

Recommended for FPS fans.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”