Facebook/Meta

Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

If it makes you feel better, the lawyers who filed this case "for us" will be making huge amounts of money.

Someone needs to file a class action suit against all lawyers who have ever filed a class action suit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

Threads gets to 70M users in two days.

Already has rate limits:

And is such a blatant rip off of Twitter, including using many former Twitter employees, that a lawsuit is already being discussed.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:30 pm And is such a blatant rip off of Twitter, including using many former Twitter employees, that a lawsuit is already being discussed.
On Threads, Meta spokesperson Andy Stone posted that "no one on the Threads engineering team is a former Twitter employee - that's just not a thing".
Or is it?

Reality:
Twitter: "We censor everything China tells us to censor"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:36 pmOr is it?
I highly doubt Meta didn't grab anyone from Twitter, although even if they didn't, Threads is such a copy of Twitter, a lawsuit will be interesting either way.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:03 pm Threads is such a copy of Twitter, a lawsuit will be interesting either way.
Can't copyright ideas. I doubt there's much/anything here to sue about.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:52 pm
Leisher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:03 pm Threads is such a copy of Twitter, a lawsuit will be interesting either way.
Can't copyright ideas. I doubt there's much/anything here to sue about.
Considering it operates almost exactly like Twitter, I'm sure there's something there. However, that's for lawyers to figure out. I wonder if the code is similar?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:55 pm Considering it operates almost exactly like Twitter, I'm sure there's something there. However, that's for lawyers to figure out. I wonder if the code is similar?
As long as the code wasn't actually stolen, it can be the EXACT same. Independent creation is fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:42 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:55 pm Considering it operates almost exactly like Twitter, I'm sure there's something there. However, that's for lawyers to figure out. I wonder if the code is similar?
As long as the code wasn't actually stolen, it can be the EXACT same. Independent creation is fine.
So different from music/movie/book/art laws?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:45 pm So different from music/movie/book/art laws?
Independent creation is a legit defense in ALL areas of copyright defense. I think that was a part of the defense that Ed Sheeran used.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:52 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:45 pm So different from music/movie/book/art laws?
Independent creation is a legit defense in ALL areas of copyright defense. I think that was a part of the defense that Ed Sheeran used.
Wasn't it the same defense of several other people the Gaye family sued, and all of whom lost?

This part of the law seems so subjective.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:36 pm This part of the law seems so subjective.
Hard to prove... or disprove.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:20 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:36 pm This part of the law seems so subjective.
Hard to prove... or disprove.
Exactly. I guess that's why it will be important if key members of the design team are ex-Twitter folks.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:30 pm Threads gets to 70M users in two days.
Sounds like a lawsuit won't be necessary...

Lost half their active users in a single week.

ZDNet opinion piece on the huge drop in numbers.

Removing your Threads account will delete your entire Instagram account.

I'm guessing that's pissing people off.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by GORDON »

I knew it was just a fashion thing for five minutes. "OMG I made a difference cuz I made an account. Anyway ...."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by Leisher »

Meta toying with the idea of paid accounts in the EU "to avoid ads".

I think by 2035 the majority of features on the largest social media platforms will be behind paywalls.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by GORDON »

Interestinger, having to supply a valid form of payment could be how we implement my much needed "identity bit" project in order to eliminate anonymity on the Internet, which every intelligent person knows we badly need.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:49 pm Interestinger, having to supply a valid form of payment could be how we implement my much needed "identity bit" project in order to eliminate anonymity on the Internet, which every intelligent person knows we badly need.
I was exploring internet medicine the other day about some meds... and they were ready to give me stuff even though i used completely fake information. There was no validation.

Although, I assume they would have wanted a real form of payment.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by GORDON »

Not necessarily. Any form would have been accepted, yours or not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

WSJ Op-Ed writer agrees with Gordon on the identity bit.
I’ve previously spoken out against the idea. A decade ago, as a steering committee member of the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace and the Identity Ecosystem Steering Group, I argued against a proposed national identity system as a violation of privacy.

But I’ve changed my mind, in part because privacy as we once knew it no longer exists. Social-media platforms, along with other Big Tech companies such as Google, Apple and Microsoft, collect and store vast repositories of our data, including emails, text messages, call logs, photos, documents, calendars, friend lists, locations, finances—you name it. Much of this data is already available to law enforcement and government officials. The Edward Snowden revelations in 2013 exposed our government’s mass surveillance practices, not only of suspected terrorists and lawbreakers but also of millions of private individuals.

Thanks to the Cambridge Analytica breach in 2018, it is estimated that 5,000 data points on every U.S. voter are already circulating online. But tracing someone’s identity doesn’t require nearly that many data points. Massachusetts Institute of Technology research on credit-card purchases has shown that it takes four basic data points on transaction dates and locations to identify 90% of people in a pool of 1.1 million people.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook/Meta

Post by TheCatt »

How much is an identity bit? $1