Far Cry 6

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry 6

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry 6

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Far Cry 6

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:36 pm Danny Trejo removed from the game.
But only because they released it too early?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry 6

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:50 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:36 pm Danny Trejo removed from the game.
But only because they released it too early?
Apparently.

Ubisoft is not a super well run company.
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry 6

Post by Leisher »

Before I begin, how Hispanic people, or this specific dialect, says guerilla is jarring.

Ubisoft continues to suck. Why the fuck do they insist upon keeping around their shit launcher? Nobody wants it. Every complaint for an Ubisoft game on Steam mentions their launcher.

I noticed during my playthrough that I wasn't getting Steam achievements. I realized all the achievements were in the Ubisoft launcher. I immediately stopped trying to get achievements. Steam, Epic, MS, GoG, and Humble all dominate the market. Steam alone has something like a 75% market share. So why are you throwing money away on your shit launcher? Yet more proof for my theory that most companies are run by idiots and do well despite them.

On to the game itself...

Far Cry 6 uses the same formula that they've been using since FC2. It's a solid formula and I hope they always stick with it. That being said, it needs some tweaking.

This go around, you're Dani Rojas, orphan and former soldier who is about to leave the island nation of Yara behind to flee to America. Stuff happens before you leave and you become tied up with Libertad, a revolutionary group trying to remove Yara's dictator Anton Castillo (played expertly by Giancarlo Esposito).

Seriously, Far Cry absolutely kills it with their villains. They are the main driver for the stories. In fact, there's DLC here where you can play as those very villains in "video games". I would have played through all of them, but no Steam achievements, so... Back to the villains, if you love FPSs, but have avoided the Far Cry series, why? These villains you'll remember, especially when they're right, like Joseph Seed (Far Cry 5). Anton is no different. You know you've got a good voice when it commands a presence through a video game character. And like previous villains, Anton's ending is fucked up. Point being, these games are worth playing just to experience the villains. I would put them, particularly Anton and Joseph, with Vader, Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg, Hannibal, and other famous movie villains. (I sometimes wonder if Far Cry 5 got some hate because it really hit too close to home for a lot of people.)

Don't forget that in FC tradition there's an ending in the beginning of the game. It'll be obvious when it presents itself.
Continuing with the story, you are selected by Clara, leader of Libertad, to go recruit three factions to help. One is a strong family, another is a group of legends from a revolution in 67, and the third is a popular musical act. I'm betting these stories were handled by different teams because one could be called woke. The popular music act is a dark skinned girl (and there is a subtle light skinned versus dark skinned bit in the game), her transman BF costar, and their fat, cowardly friend, hype man...I don't know what he is supposed to be. They do NOT get preachy with the woke stuff. It's there, but is not a focus of the story. There are mentions of "no matter who you are" and the transman's doctor painted as the humane smart one, but it's all more background than foreground. Although, I don't know what this says, but of the three faction stories, this is the only one where you never deal with loss. Everyone wins. And really, this should have been the bloodiest by far. There is a plot point that should have led to a severe response, but it doesn't come. In fact, one of the other factions stories gives the response I would have expected. It does save itself slightly as there is a "sub-villain" here that is super interesting, but it also never gets to any sort of conclusion, so points off for that.

The overall story of the Castillos and their ruling of the island is solid. FC5 was better, but Anton is a great villain and his child a perfect way to show Anton's humanity and motivation, which actually makes him scarier.

Anyway, I won't bother covering the formula as you can read that anywhere, even in other Far Cry reviews I've done, so I'll cover the differences here and my suggestions for change.

The new stuff here:
-Checkpoints. I like them because they're easy and quick to conquer, but depending on traffic can result in big fights. They're like a lite version of the larger base takeovers.
-You have a "Supremo" backpack designed by Juan, a legend revolutionary who is your mentor here. These backpacks come in around 8 flavors and all of them do different things. I used the one with an EMP almost exclusively.
-Instead of leveling up your character, they changed it so you leveled up your equipment. This was good and bad. It's good that you technically weren't superman by late game. It's bad in that soooo many items were useless depending on your playstyle. I'm sure there are players who designed their outfit specifically for missions, but that's got to be 1% of the core audience. Plus, X might be cool as shit to wear, but you have to wear ugly Y because of it's ability. This includes the Supremos, which controlled some abilities and what items you could carry. There is a lot of customizing your character, and Cake should love that you can't carry everything all the time, but it has drawbacks too. I think there is a better way...
-Your Friends (Amigos) this time are all animals.
-I won't bother with the different guns and whatnot. Just know there's a lot, but oddly all the "special" ones you get aren't customizable, which means you won't use them with few exceptions.
-Post game gives you an Insurgency mode where the bad guys are now the revolutionaries take stuff over and you have to go free it.
-The "elsewhere" missions this time around are kind of shit. They all revolve around a new weapon, located at the furthest point of each special location. This weapon overheats quickly so you have to stay in the shade or put it into water. Those things are difficult to do when people are shooting at you. So whatever your playstyle is, you have to run and gun now. Plus, you're driving there by a taxi driver who I think they wanted to make charming, but is mostly annoying. All missions end with you in an undefendable position holding off hoards of baddies.

Here's what needs to change:

1. I need pushback from the bad guys. Maybe every time you die they retake a checkpoint or a base? This is a standing army in a civil war. They never go on the offensive? Their trucks and tanks drive through these checkpoints and by these bases constantly. They never bother retaking them? They need to figure something out here. The deeper into enemy territory the base/checkpoint is taken, the higher the odds should be that it will be retaken. I realize you don't want players getting frustrated with their work constantly being wiped out, but I was taking over checkpoints in less than 10 seconds... That's not a joke. 2-4 guards and blowing up a billboard isn't hard. I don't even need to stealth. There should be punishments for dying. They need some random calculations in the background running that give the bad guys odds on retaking a base/checkpoint. Variables could be its location, how far away the player is and for how long, its strategic importance to the story, and so on. Once an area is fully conquered (or completed?), then you can say all those locations are permanently locked for the good guys.

2. Amp up the difficulty.
-Not the villains' shooting accuracy. That's already good enough.
-Here's a pro tip: If the main villain, his son, and I are on a first name basis, I should be easily recognizable to soldiers. I should not have free reign to roam around the whole country with impunity. Yes, I should be able to go anywhere, but there should be danger. Two of the primary enemies of the state, one of which is a fucking music star, shouldn't be able to walk through a government event without being recognized.
-If I can see the soldiers, they should be able to see me.
-When bases respawn (whether recaptured, an attack failed, or whatever), move the guards. Give them new positions, weapons, and patrols.
-When soldiers encounter a dead body, get shot at, fight an animal, or whatever else could happen aside from standing around doing nothing, put them on a more permanent alert. Sure, if several in game hours pass and nothing has happened, they might relax, but they should have also called in reinforcements by then, yes?
-Maybe put in a timer where people on bases check in? Like once you make that first kill you have X number of minutes to take the base before the survivors go active knowing something may be wrong.
-Give us the option to turn off the blurs on maps that show an enemy's position or the highlights that show them through walls. Perhaps it's part of a "Hardcore" mode where you get one life (only kills that involve enemies/animals count), which means getting discovered trying to take a base means retreating or standing our ground against overwhelming forces.
-Too many times areas felt empty. I don't remember feeling this way previously.

It's a good game. Well worth the money, especially the farther it's discounted. It just doesn't have the story 5 did, despite the amazing villain. Still worth playing.