NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm BTW, OSU Twitter is blowing up with speculation on this and something I see repeated by multiple sources is the B1G has an interest in UVA and UNC...
No, no, and... no.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:29 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm BTW, OSU Twitter is blowing up with speculation on this and something I see repeated by multiple sources is the B1G has an interest in UVA and UNC...
No, no, and... no.
Well, bend over and get ready to take it because if conference swapping starts happening again you can bet the SEC is going to try to grab Clemson and the B1G won't sit on their hands.

I'm also hearing OkSt, USC, Washington, Oregon, WVa, etc.

I've even seen people saying OSU should just drop the B1G and move to the SEC.

You should be flattered to be one of the ACC schools other conferences actually want! :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:24 pm You should be flattered to be one of the ACC schools other conferences actually want!
I mean, Sure. But, I'd rather the ACC keep the band together.

There's literally 2 sports that make sense for this consolidation, and all the other ones just get fucked with more travel time.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

ESPN says Texas and OU to the SEC could happen within weeks.

Another ESPN article says not so fast.

Although, TX and OK were invited to that call and declined, so that can't be a good sign.

Interesting to see that the ACC was planning to invite Texas and Oklahoma within the next few years.

If Texas and Oklahoma leave the B12, they're done as a conference. They'll be about as powerful as the MAC.

Also interesting to note that there is speculation this will finally trigger the "super conference". I know it's definitely going to trigger a free for all in conference re-alignment again. The B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 aren't going to sit around while the SEC expands to 16 teams.

It'll be fun to watch the SEC cultists switch gears from mocking Texas and Oklahoma to now claiming they're top tier programs that can compete against anyone.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

If 16 is the magic #, then the ACC should probably get Notre Dame and... if Maryland doesn't want to come back, uh, West Virginia, I guess?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Overall, IF this actually happens, it will be a massive negative for college football. It's either going to lead to the 32 team super conference where all other teams are irrelevant, two mega conferences, the B12 will die as the other P5s pick their scraps, and/or fans are going to start tuning out in droves as their schools abandon everything that people love about college football.

The ESPN bias is already out of control. None of their articles even mention the B1G. Too bad the B1G isn't signed with ESPN, then they'd be the best conference in the world and every week ESPN would be running stories about SEC schools being caught cheating.

Here's another bit of their propaganda:
If Oklahoma and Texas wind up in the SEC, the super conference might have six or seven teams selected to a 12-team playoff every season.
This will only happen in ESPN's wet dream. The 2020 final CFP standings had four SEC teams in the top 25. Adding Texas and Oklahoma would give them 5, but that's not taking into account that OK's record would more than likely not have been the same.

The rest of the country hates the SEC thanks to their delusional fan base that thinks Bama's success is their success and ESPN's constant barrage of all things SEC. Ratings for SEC bowl games proves it too.

Ask the NBA how things work out when you alienate a large portion of your fanbase.

What is certain is that Texas A&M is livid.
There is also the issue of an unwritten rule, the "gentleman's agreement," between SEC schools that gives conference members "absolute veto power" over the addition of another school from their state, according to a former Texas A&M official.

R. Bowen Loftin, who helped steer the Aggies into the SEC in 2011 while serving as A&M's president, said the oft-discussed unwritten rule was a "specific conversation" when he was involved in expansion talks in 2010-11. (Loftin also served as chancellor at Missouri from 2014 to '15 after the Tigers made the move to the SEC.)

"There's this understanding among the membership, at least it was 10 years ago, that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:25 pm Too bad the B1G isn't signed with ESPN, then they'd be the best conference in the world and every week ESPN would be running stories about SEC schools being caught cheating.
That's what happens when you're the 2nd best basketball conference and the 2nd best football conference. Well, 3rd best football conference. Behind the ACC in both :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:26 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:25 pm Too bad the B1G isn't signed with ESPN, then they'd be the best conference in the world and every week ESPN would be running stories about SEC schools being caught cheating.
That's what happens when you're the 2nd best basketball conference and the 2nd best football conference. Well, 3rd best football conference. Behind the ACC in both :)
That's hilarious as I just saw someone on Twitter claiming WVU would be a bottom feeder in football in the ACC. Have they seen ACC football? It's trash. WVU would probably be the 3rd or 4th best football program in the ACC immediately.

Meanwhile, I also just saw a report that Kansas has already reached out to the B1G about joining...
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Also, an official Baylor statement just admitted they were talking to "others" to do what's best for their school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 pm Meanwhile, I also just saw a report that Kansas has already reached out to the B1G about joining...
Ewwwwww. Have some standards.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Report on Kansas to B1G.

The most interesting part:
Here's what I'm most fascinated by. If it goes to the 4 SuperConferences with 16 teams each, 1 team is going to get left out. There are 65 teams in the 5 conferences right now for football. 15 in the ACC, 10 in the Big 12, 14 in the Big 10, 14 in the SEC and 12 in the Pac-12. Who is the one team most likely to be left out? It's gotta be someone from the Big 12 and the likely picks would be Baylor, Kansas State or TCU.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I'd vote TCU out. Or... why not Vandy? Or BC? Or Rutgers?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Rutgers is going to be semi-legit again, which they haven't been since the last time Schiano was there. He has a pretty good class coming in.

TCU was just in the playoff conversation when OSU won the title the first year of the playoffs. Vandy has beaten Florida recently and is really the only reason the SEC has any hope of discussing academics.

So goodbye BC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder how many teams will leave the Big 12, and what leftover team(s) will get to split the X # of $76M buyouts :)
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

That's a hell of a good question.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

B12 groups met with TX and OK to discuss the situation.

SEC still has no vote scheduled. A&M has outright said they do not want this to happen. Article implies Texas might still shop itself elsewhere.

Basically, everything is a question mark right now.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Texas and Oklahoma aren't renewing their B12 media rights.

This was an expected and necessary move. It doesn't signal anything other than Texas and Oklahoma are actively looking for a new home. However, it doesn't yet mean they'll end up in the SEC, somewhere else, or even prevent them from returning to the B12.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Texas A&M is going to discover the value of a "gentleman's agreement" on Thursday.

The SEC has such a thing in place where a single member can veto adding new teams to the conference from their state. However, it's not written down and officially part of their rules.

The SEC would take Texas over Texas A&M every time. I'm guessing this meeting is really just about smoothing things over with A&M.

The inevitable lawsuits, which OkSt really appears to be headed towards, are going to get interesting.

Also, super conferences confirmed. B12 is probably dead unless they make a massive move. B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 need to start recruiting immediately.

NCAA now has a players association.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder if this gets ND to commit. I don’t want a 17* team ACC. ACC is already the largest conference. Only 1 away from 16