The Tomorrow War (2021)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by GORDON »

Amazon Prime.

Crisp Rat plays a former "special forces" guy who got out to go to school for science stuff.

One day during the soccer game a bunch of peeps pop out from the future and say aliens attacked in 50 years, and we need more cannon fodder. The world mobilizes to try and protect its future, and sends accountants and shit into the future with minimal training.

So.... all in all it's ok. But I have a real problem with the final chapter, because I don't think any rational people, even government people, would make those decisions.

Worth watching.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:35 pm One day during the soccer game a bunch of peeps pop out from the future and say aliens attacked in 50 years, and we need more cannon fodder. The world mobilizes to try and protect its future, and sends accountants and shit into the future with minimal training.
Wait, wtf? Wouldn't they just prepare better for 50 years from now?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 pm
GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:35 pm One day during the soccer game a bunch of peeps pop out from the future and say aliens attacked in 50 years, and we need more cannon fodder. The world mobilizes to try and protect its future, and sends accountants and shit into the future with minimal training.
One of the many questions that don't get answered.
Troy

The Tomorrow War

Post by Troy »

No. Just awful. made it 25%. Spent the entire budget on Chris Pratt and ???????
Leisher
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War

Post by Leisher »

Troy's review helped me enjoy it by setting my expectations low. That being said, it's an extremely, extremely flawed movie.

There are just so many mistakes in the writing, and/or blatant moronic choices just to provide an excuse for action or, in one case, a striking visual.

Gordon is 1000% correct about the final chapter. It is the worst part of the movie and can be summed up as:
"Hey everyone, here's the solution to all our problems!"
"Who cares? We want to pout!"

Seriously, it made ZERO sense. It's like the entire planet forget that these events happen in the future, and they have 30 years to do something about it.

Speaking of the future, you know what's really, really stupid? Trying to win a war in the future that can be easily won in the past.

I thought the acting was good. Betty Gilpin and Yvonne Strahovski are underrated actresses. Ryan Kiera Armstrong was really believable as well. Pratt was fine, but has been better elsewhere. J.K. Simmons can't give a bad performance. Sam Richardson, Mary Lynn Rajskub, and Mike Mitchell were good for a chuckle, but not many. Edwin Hodge and his crew spent too much time brooding and trying to look tough. I didn't even notice when two of them died.

If this was Amazon's announcement of being a player in the industry, they kind of whiffed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:40 pmJ.K. Simmons
Is he always that jacked?
Leisher
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:54 pm
I think it started around Whiplash.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:54 pm
You should see the R-rated State Farm commercials.
thibodeaux

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 pm
One of the many questions that don't get answered.

I no longer have to watch movies, as these videos are far more entertaining.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:55 pm I no longer have to watch movies, as these videos are far more entertaining.
I watched the video before seeing your comment and was going to say "That was good enough for me, there's no way the movie can live up to this video"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Tomorrow War (2021)

Post by Leisher »

I was thinking more about this movie today, then I watched that video and that might be the best one of those he's done. That is an absolute evisceration of the story and 100% accurate.

In fact, the only part he missed was the total disrespect of the world's military. Those aliens were insanely easy to kill, yet our military couldn't stand up to them? Remember how early on they mentioned most of the world sent their military and they got their asses kicked? And how did that play out with the "dead" stipulation?

Again, an extremely flawed movie.