Subway

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

Irish court rules their bread isn't bread.

This is the same bread that contains a lot of wood fiber.

Eat Fresh!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Irish court rules their bread isn't bread.

This is the same bread that contains a lot of wood fiber.

Eat Fresh!
I bet you find cellulose in lots of food products, though.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

For certain, but at what levels?

Remember, a Canadian lab also found their chicken breasts to be less than 50% chicken.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: a Canadian lab also found their chicken breasts to be less than 50% chicken.
That's not true.

I mean, it's true, it's just wrong.
The results from both labs found soy protein below 10 ppm, or less than 1%, in all tested samples. These findings are consistent with the low levels of soy protein that we add with the spices and marinade to help keep the products moist and flavorful
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

So did the new independent labs test the same chicken the CBC tested or new samples provided by Subway?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So did the new independent labs test the same chicken the CBC tested or new samples provided by Subway?
Hopefully they just bought some. But, seriously, half chicken? c'mon. That's lawsuit material.
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

That's a fair point. I've never known a single corporation that has intentionally done something illegal or unethical just to boost their profits. :lol:
GORDON
Site Admin

Subway

Post by GORDON »

It never occurred to me I had to keep an eye on the sugar content of bread. Why can't I just get some whole-grain bread without sugar?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It never occurred to me I had to keep an eye on the sugar content of bread. Why can't I just get some whole-grain bread without sugar?
Because it tastes terrible.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

Fuck Subway so much.
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

NYT reporter heard about the "there's no tuna in this sandwich" claim and lawsuit against Subway.

So they did their own test.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 am NYT reporter heard about the "there's no tuna in this sandwich" claim and lawsuit against Subway.

So they did their own test.
tldr:
With all testing, there are major caveats to consider. Once tuna has been cooked, its protein becomes denatured, meaning that the fish’s characteristic properties have likely been destroyed, making it difficult, if not impossible, to identify.
So, who the fuck knows.
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

I'm actually rooting for Subway here because it was my favorite sandwich there.

However, based on all the other corners they cut...
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

I really like the new 12" sawdust option
GORDON
Site Admin

Subway

Post by GORDON »

Seems like instead of "checking the DNA" someone could, like, go to the supplier and watch tuna being put into the subway deliveries (or not).
Leisher
Site Admin

Subway

Post by Leisher »

End of the day, their bread is loaded with wood fiber and sugar, both proven in court. Their chicken was 40% tofu or something like that. Is it really a stretch to think they're fucking with the tuna?

Fuck Subway.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Subway

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:22 pm End of the day, their bread is loaded with wood fiber and sugar, both proven in court. Their chicken was 40% tofu or something like that. Is it really a stretch to think they're fucking with the tuna?

Fuck Subway.
You're exaggerating. First off, most commercial bread has wood fiber (cellulose, look for it) and sugar. Second, the DNA testing for the tuna + chicken was probably garbage.
GORDON
Site Admin

Subway

Post by GORDON »

They could even use a telephone and call someone local to the distributor and then that person could bicycle over and verify with eyeballs, "Yeah, those were tuna fish" (or not). Doesn't require a laboratory.

I'd like to try that multi-grain bread.