Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

"So restaurant industry ruined my life and left me wageless and jobless for ~1.5 years."

"As soon as the government lets him, my landlord is going to EVICT ME; I now have endless credit card debt, and am now totally fucked in my financial life"

"Oh - now there are lots of jobs open in the restaurant industry, still paying poverty wages with no benefits, LET ME JUMP ON THAT" <--- that last one isn't happening for some reason
Last edited by Troy on Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Pretty sure the only reason CA has farm workers this year is because we are picking them up at the border and vaccinating them wholesale.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:06 pm "So restaurant industry ruined my life and left me wageless and jobless for ~1.5 years."
I've always said the restaurant industry shouldn't' be allowed to enslave people against their will.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm
Troy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:06 pm "So restaurant industry ruined my life and left me wageless and jobless for ~1.5 years."
I've always said the restaurant industry shouldn't' be allowed to enslave people against their will.
Working at the average bar/restaurant unless you are the owner is like going to a Check Cashing Place. The cash at the end of the night is nice but you pay for it in the end.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

This sounds like me being an elitist I guess, but from being a waiter, barback, bartender:

1) You are sick all the time
2) You never get to mingle with regular people during social times because you are at work
3) You make 2.45 an hour. Bad night, no tips? Fuck you.
4) The bathrooms don't clean themselves.
5) Retirement? lmao
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

"As soon as the government lets him, my landlord is going to EVICT ME; I now have endless credit card debt, and am now totally fucked in my financial life"

"Oh - now there are lots of jobs open in the restaurant industry, still paying poverty wages with no benefits, LET ME JUMP ON THAT" <--- that last one isn't happening for some reason
1. You've been on unemployment making pretty much (if not more) than you did when you were working.
2. Why? You should have been paying your rent with all of the free money.
3. Restaurant work is what you do while going to school for a degree/skill/trade. Not what you do to raise a family.

If you never took the time to become valuable to society, don't blame society when they don't value you? "I don't want to work for anything. I just want stuff."

I made more money as a waiter than all of my friends who were also in the food industry, but not waiters. I made more money than all of my friends who weren't in the food industry. I can't think of any friend who made more than me. When I finished school, I got a job. Oh, I also went to school for something people were hiring for. It was required by law that you made minimum wage. So, if you really had a night with no tips, your employer should have made up the difference from your $2.50 an hour wage.

I've been trying to hire for months. I'm offering $30/hr for a position that traditionally pays $25/hr. I interview people, who don't have a regular job. They've been moonlighting and "want to get back into the trade". They end up disappearing in the middle of the process when they realize that free money, plus under the table money > $30/hr.

People are living the dream of getting their living wage an not having to work for it. Yay. This will play out just fine.

Oh, then there's the "Make sure your employees claim COVID related when they file. That way, you're account isn't charged for the unemployment." You know, so people would actually shut down because a lot of people wouldn't because they wouldn't want to take the unemployment hit. So, everyone goes on unemployment. "Ok, everyone. We are opening back up. Let's get back to work." "Ummm. No. I like free money." UIA "Our reserves are really low now. Everyone will be paying an extra $500 for each employee so we can get it back up". Ummm. Wait.

CNN article sites "economy is bad because fewer jobs are created" in one paragraph and "Employers are trying to entice people back to work with higher pay" in another paragraph. Ummm. Huh?

We see numbers for unemployment, and jobs created all the time. I'd like to see the number of unfilled jobs. Fewer jobs were created last month maybe because we are still trying to fill all the jobs that were created 2 months ago that no one will show up for.

I feel like the economy REALLY wants to recover and get back to normal, but millions of people are on strike, and the government is paying them for it. Too many people, capable of working, are just staying home and coming up with reason why they can't work. Cause free money, yo!
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Damn for 30 bucks I feel like you could get plenty of guys who have been doing the trade for many years in Cali. His English wouldn’t be great though.

I don’t have many thoughts on unemployment - thankfully have not needed it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:19 am I'd like to see the number of unfilled jobs.
There are 8.1M job openings in the US right now. That is a record, pre-pandemic, post-pandemic, or otherwise.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 am
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:19 am I'd like to see the number of unfilled jobs.
There are 8.1M job openings in the US right now. That is a record, pre-pandemic, post-pandemic, or otherwise.
Wow, buyers job market. I guess if you were going to hold out for a wage that would stick with you for a few years, this would be the time.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Being that higher wages aren't sustainable, they won't stick. They are price gouging right now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Fed might start slowing down Treasury + mortgage-bond purchases soon. Currently they buy about $120B/month. Many members of the Fed want to slow down the easy money.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Worker shortage bad.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

R governors are blocking the extra unemployment money in an attempt to get people back to work.

CNN spins it as if this is counter to what Biden's admin wants two or three days after Biden said that since they can't get rid of the extra $300 until September, he wants the requirement of looking for work reinstated nationwide.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Two different bipartisan groups of Congresspeople trying to reform retirement.

We had the Baby Boom. Get ready for the Funeral Boom.

If you don't following the market, or this area of it, commodity prices have been skyrocketing. China to the rescue.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I realized today:

The current reality of "no one is returning to work because unemployment is paying more" lays to rest all of the arguments about whether or not people would stop working, if there was a "guaranteed minimum income."

Or, giving it further thought, maybe not. If the GMI was still there ON TOP of the crappy fast food job, then it would still be worth it to work the fast food job for extra cash. And then places wouldn't need to charge $20 for a burger because the staff isn't all making wages competitive with a union autoworker.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

I swear I posted something about this already, but can't find it. Anyway, "Post-Corona" seems the appropriate place.

People have forgotten how to act in the wake of our year off.

Go google road rage and see all the incidents lately. The PGA Championship that saw people storm the 18th fairway, jump on Phil, and possibly exacerbate Brooks' injured knee. Fights at King's Island outside Cincy shutting down the park. Crime being way up. The 230+ mass shootings CNN thinks we've had this year. And so on.

What the fuck is going on? You think being out of pocket for one year caused people to completely forget their social skills or is it the general frustration of everything going on in our society (covid, social media, cancel culture, divisive politics and their propaganda MSM outlets, the constant cries of inequality, people seeing how their employer really felt about them (both during the pandemic and now coming out of it), and so on?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:27 pm What the fuck is going on? You think being out of pocket for one year caused people to completely forget their social skills ...
Most people have a tenuous grasp on what it means to be decent, in the first place. A year of isolation and/or bitterness at "being told what to do" exacerbates things.

That being said, is it June 2 already? Seeing more and more people "fuck it" on the masks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm That being said, is it June 2 already? Seeing more and more people "fuck it" on the masks.
Already optional here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I'll probably keep the habit, because I've liked looking like a desperado from the beginning.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm I'll probably keep the habit, because I've liked looking like a desperado from the beginning.
At the moment, I'm wearing them indoors. Mostly since the vaccine isn't 100% and both our mom's are going through chemo/cancer treatment/etc.