Diet and Exercise

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am I wonder how many people's sleep is affected without them realizing it by the light of the phone going off for alerts, the vibration of alerts (if the phone's sound is off), or the pinging of alerts?
People shouldn't keep phones in their rooms. Ours all charge downstairs. And all phones go into DND after 10pm until 7am.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by Leisher »

Mine is in my room, but it's face down and in silent mode all night. When I wake up I can grab it and see what needs my attention.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Diet and Exercise

Post by Cakedaddy »

Mine is in my room, but if I don't want to be disturbed, I will turn that on. But I'm pretty much sort of on call all the time, so.
thibodeaux

Diet and Exercise

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:11 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am I wonder how many people's sleep is affected without them realizing it by the light of the phone going off for alerts, the vibration of alerts (if the phone's sound is off), or the pinging of alerts?
People shouldn't keep phones in their rooms. Ours all charge downstairs. And all phones go into DND after 10pm until 7am.
This is a good policy. I do like the others tho: facedown (heh..) and on DnD, because the phone is also my sleep quality monitor. And i'm also on call :(
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

I need to appreciate not being on call :)
Cakedaddy

Diet and Exercise

Post by Cakedaddy »

In my case, I'm on call, because I don't want to be the one doing the work. I'd rather be home and on call than the tech in the field doing the work.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

My diet + fitness have oscillated between great + poor most of my life.

I was having some chest pains that my doctor wasn't quite sure were exercise induced bronchoconstriction (ashtma) or exercise induced reflux, so he ordered a stress test. Man, they make you walk up a really step treadmill.

At any rate, got my results, and I'm all clear. Which is relatively expected for my age, but good to know for sure. Had my dad (cardiologist) read the results, and he seemed pretty happy with them.

Signed up for a triathlon next summer. Realized my brother and I have done 4 races of varying types together (1.2 mile siwm, a sprint triathlon, a half iron man aquabike, and a wilderness triathlon (lake swim, Mountain bike, and trail run))... and I've won all 4 :) despite the fact that's he's more consistently in good shape than I am. Especially the past few years. He spotted me 8 minutes (it took me about 100 minutes to finish when I did the same course 7 years ago), and we're betting $100 per minute difference (donated to charity of winner's choice).

Hopefully it's enough motivation to get back in shape... and stay there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:47 pm New pill for fatties approved by FDA.
"There is a huge, huge unmet need here,"
Leisher
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by Leisher »

HA! I caught that too. Think it was intentional?
Troy

Diet and Exercise

Post by Troy »

Have been having a few symptoms of stomach acid reflux and intolerance - for the past few years. Bad travel habits and leaving my usual antacid at home really messed me up early this month. Turns out it's a genetic thing and I'm lucky I've gotten into my mid 30s without having to worry about it too much. Something about the valve between the stomach and throat.

So I consulted with my dad, read a few books, and for the last few weeks I've been doing a strictish diet to try to alleviate my "throatburn" - which is like heartburn but if years of heartburn burned off the parts that make you feel heartburn (yikes). The diet basics are essentially no carbonated anything, no citrus, minimum processed foods, avoid corn syrup like the plague (has sulfuric acid).

Generally eat 1.5 lbs of fruit/veggies a day half cooked half raw. Not counting calories or anything, more like thinking about food as medicine for my stomach. Bread, fish, chicken, turkey all cool.

Everyday is a little better on the throatburn side, and because of all the fiber I stay full a lot and have to remind myself to eat the plan's 5x small meals a day.

Holy shit is this going to thin me out though. I'm already a 3x a week runner during the summer and 1x a week HIT Peloton class guy. COVID weight is already gone and six pack coming back strong.

I'll miss the beer, though.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

I added a cup of blueberries to my daily diet for 2 weeks. My HDL (good cholesterol) shot up from an average of 37.5 to 51 on my most recent labs. Literally the highest it's ever been. I have 1 cup frozen blueberries with some heavy cream + protein powder as a meal replacement/snack.
thibodeaux

Diet and Exercise

Post by thibodeaux »

An interesting series of blog posts on the obesity epidemic:
Pt 1
Pt 2
Pt 3 not up yet...
Current theories of the obesity epidemic are inadequate. None of them hold up to closer scrutiny, and none can explain all of the mysteries mentioned in Part I.
For my part, I've long been in the Taubes/lo-carb camp. I still think it is a good way to lose bodyfat, but I will concede that maybe carbs alone cannot explain the truly absurd growth (heh) in obesity in America. I actually kind of think now that it could be related to gut biome, but wth do I know? Hell...some people have posited it's the CO2 in the atmosphere and hell they may be right.

It's actually very sad to walk around public places and see so many just terribly obese people. They're sick...literally, I think there is some bodily affliction that is causing this, but nobody seems to know what it is, much less how to fix it.
Troy

Diet and Exercise

Post by Troy »

I think it's processed foods - like corn syrup.

Modern economic system has produced this nightmare:

Government subsidizes the price of corn, it's cheap and used with sulfuric acid to make corn syrup.
Corn syrup goes everywhere. Makes everything sweet and gets people "addicted" in a food sense.
Non processed food and healthy produce is more expensive and requires more effort to cook and eat. Most consumers go with the processed corn syrup.
Calorie for Calorie, normal food keeps you full longer. Processed food with heavy corn syrup leaves you hungry again soon after.
People eat more of it, are fat.
Leisher
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 pm I think it's processed foods
Ditto. As Bill Burr says, "Our food is poison."

It's processed to death and every possible shortcut is taken to reduce costs, which means chemical substitutes and the cheapest ingredients.

The garbage food is also cheaper to buy, and thus, fits into a family's budget easier. A good sized bag of heavily processed Cheetos is $3.69 (approximately and depending on sales) around here. A small container of pomegranate seeds is $4.99.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Am I the only one here who grows a good chunk of his own food, can prepare it and preserve it, and knows how to cook most anything from scratch? I make things from scratch several times a week. Not AS obese as most, but I could stand to lose a couple dozen. Being 50 doesn't help.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:57 pm Am I the only one here who grows a good chunk of his own food, can prepare it and preserve it, and knows how to cook most anything from scratch? I make things from scratch several times a week. Not AS obese as most, but I could stand to lose a couple dozen. Being 50 doesn't help.
Aint nobody got time for that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by GORDON »

Should make time. Digging around in dirt also has health benefits.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:23 pm Should make time. Digging around in dirt also has health benefits.
I'm sure it does, but I don't enjoy it, so I don't make time for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Diet and Exercise

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:24 pm
GORDON wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:23 pm Should make time. Digging around in dirt also has health benefits.
I'm sure it does, but I don't enjoy it, so I don't make time for it.
Ditto.