Swimming

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I've been curious what swimming distance would feel like out in the world, when you have wind and waves with which to contend. And no lines on the bottom of the pool to keep you straight.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I've been curious what swimming distance would feel like out in the world, when you have wind and waves with which to contend. And no lines on the bottom of the pool to keep you straight.
Depends on where you are. I've done it 3 different types of places.

1) Lakes - The lakes I have swum in were brown. Like 2' of visibility. It's been windy (there was at least 1/2' of chop) and calm. Also, it was morning so the sun was low in the sky. I had to swim half of a 1.2 mile race breaststroke due to those conditions. On the other hand, I've been in very calm lakes where I could freestyle the whole time. Sun low = bad, cuz you're blind trying to look that direction.

2) Ocean - < 5' visibility, wavy. Breaststroke/free mix. Depending on the waves. IF they were just swells, could usually feel them coming and just use that. You could feel currents, though, pulling you depending on which way you were swimming.

3) Caribbean - Lots of visibility. This was awesome, seeing all the fish, etc while swimming. Water was pretty chill, easy to swim in.

The one thing they all have in common is that about every 5 to 10 strokes, you do an extended stroke where you lift your head up out of the water and sight for markers (buoys, land, etc) to see where you are.

#3 was my clear favorite.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

If you want to try the Bermuda swim (and maybe some diving, too), let me know. My wife is certified but doesn't like to dive cuz of the ear pressure. My oldest will be 13, so she might want to dive, enough time we could work out a certification.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

The race that happened 4 days ago? :-D

Super doubt I can make a 2020 swim around this time of year. Can't really step away from my life except for a couple windows in the year.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: The race that happened 4 days ago? :-D

Super doubt I can make a 2020 swim around this time of year. Can't really step away from my life except for a couple windows in the year.
Was hoping it might be your kids fall break, but maybe too early.

But yeah they do it every year
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Well, now that you mention it, he did just come off a 4-day weekend.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Old woman jumped into my lane without telling me today, then acted all indignant when I plowed into her.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Old woman jumped into my lane without telling me today, then acted all indignant when I plowed into her.
Ugh.

Also, at first I didn't realize this was the swimming thread and was like "Damn, Gordon's non-chalant about another car accident"
Leisher
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Old woman jumped into my lane without telling me today, then acted all indignant when I plowed into her.
She just wanted to feel the touch of another human being.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

She acted like I was in the wrong, but at least she immediately got the fuck out of my lane.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

That being said, I'm pleased with my cardio health at 48 years old. Being able to swim a solid hour without breathing hard affects everything else in my life, positively. Hiking, biking, marathon sex sessions... All easy, with good cardio.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

There seems to.be no.time of day when the fucking pool isn't crowded, any more. And I'm the youngest person in it by ten years.

Let's go.already, Corona.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: There seems to.be no.time of day when the fucking pool isn't crowded, any more. And I'm the youngest person in it by ten years.

Let's go.already, Corona.
Go visit Seattle, then come back and lick doorknobs.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Gonna lick so many fucking doorknobs.
Cakedaddy

Swimming

Post by Cakedaddy »

I dunno man. Do old people things, and you're gonna see old people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I can't think of a single lap pool in this area that isn't a YMCA, or a college. And only one within 15 miles of me. I'd pay twice as much to have access to a more "serious" situation the didn't allow the elderly to take up lanes to chat in.

I can't run. Swimming is the only good cardio I can do that isn't on a stationary machine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I can't think of a single lap pool in this area that isn't a YMCA, or a college. And only one within 15 miles of me. I'd pay twice as much to have access to a more "serious" situation the didn't allow the elderly to take up lanes to chat in.

I can't run. Swimming is the only good cardio I can do that isn't on a stationary machine.
The town next to us is bldg a new pool. I have a feeling daytime pools are just always going to be overrun with seniors, but we'll see. The last one I went to wasn't as busy as Gordon's (growing area, not a ton of old people yet), but there were only seniors during the day. And one jumped in with me without warning and we almost collided. Bitch.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Ok, I've done a few miles in a small pool with that waist-belt thingy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093SRN1O

1. Weird at first.

2. Have a fixed point on the bottom of the pool, like a sinkable toy or something, so you don't go to far left or right.

3. Breathing is maybe 5% more difficult. When you're plowing through the water, and little wave trough gets created by the hydrodynamics of your head going through the water. If you're doing it efficiently, you're turning your head just enough to gulp some air in that low wave trough. You don't get that wave when you're stationary, have to turn your head/body slightly higher to get air.

4. There's more resistance. When you're swimming free, you're pushing your body along, and aren't pushing as much water with your hands. When you're held in place by a rope, you're doing nothing but pushing water with your hands. It makes you work more because you aren't gliding through the water, which is probably good. I feel it in my shoulder/lats.

I've been easing in and swimming 40 minutes, which is probably my mile time these days. When I take the belt off and swim free, and do a few flip-turns just so I don't forget how, it feels like I'm blazing through the water at warp speed, heh. I wonder if this would actually increase my power, over time.

Anyway, thumbs up. So great not having the anxiety of driving all the way to the pool, wondering if it will be overflowing with the Floating Dead. I just ride my bike a half mile to Mom's house. and have my own lane, guaranteed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Nice!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »