Bard's Tale IV

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Oh, I did finally find a Fire Horn, and that has made a huge difference.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

Yeah, doing the upgrades on 3 mages is expensive I never have any money either. I finally am able to cure poison which ought to help a bit.

I'm considering dumping my rogue for being less than useful and just using the mage anti-trap instead.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Ah, so you're cheating!
This is not cheating. Not even remotely. Saving and Loading games are a build in feature for this exact purpose. Cheating involves using cheat codes, trainers, etc. They are outside the rules of the game created by the developers.

I assure you that you are going to step onto a tile or encounter a beastie where your entire party dies. Bard's Tale has a LOT of those types of traps and whatnot. Are you then going to re-roll your entire party and start over or load a saved game? What if you've been playing for weeks? Will you start over, quit, or load a saved game?

I accept the vast, vast majority of damage and effects done to my party. However, if I encounter something that poisons the entire, already weakened party, and I don't have enough spell points to cure it and I'm two levels down or everyone in my party is turned to stone, it's time to grab a save file.
Troy wrote: I'm considering dumping my rogue for being less than useful and just using the mage anti-trap instead.
Before you do that, remember that the rogue becomes far more useful as they level up, and as you transfer them to the next Bard's Tale. Anti-Trap spell costs 2 MP every single time you cast it, and you don't regenerate MP in dungeons. You get a trapped chest for every fixed encountered, which can burn through your spell points. My thief is at around 86% disarm for all the traps currently. Saves a lot of MP.

How does everyone line up their party?

I throw my monk in front, then the paladin, then the generic warrior. The last front 4 person is usually my thief as she can hide in the shadows and avoid getting hit. My bard comes next with his fire horn, then my two mages.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Farming the Catacombs is working well, as long as I avoid things that make me old.

LOL @ 66 skeletons + Fire Horn
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Yeah, doing the upgrades on 3 mages is expensive I never have any money either. I finally am able to cure poison which ought to help a bit.

I'm considering dumping my rogue for being less than useful and just using the mage anti-trap instead.
I still have my near-worthless rogue, but I use the mage for trap disarming. The rogue was not good enough.
Leisher wrote: This is not cheating. Not even remotely. Saving and Loading games are a build in feature for this exact purpose. Cheating involves using cheat codes, trainers, etc. They are outside the rules of the game created by the developers.
Enjoy Easy Mode.

I save above ground only to try and stick to how the game was originally made.

I have a Hunter in my party, and fuck if I know why. They seem to be worthless.
Troy

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Troy »

Paladin warrior bard rogue 3 mages

Strongly considering switching the rogue with another warrior with all my extra mp
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Paladin
Hunter
Warrior
Bard
Rogue
Mage
Sorcerer(?)
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Enjoy Easy Mode.

I save above ground only to try and stick to how the game was originally made.
LOL! Enjoy playing the game for the next 3 years. I would bet ANYTHING you would not accept a full party death/loss weeks into the game. You'd either quit or grab a save.
Troy wrote: Paladin warrior bard rogue 3 mages
Apparently, running 3 mages is "easy mode" late game. They annihilate everything once you get them to the proper level.

Also, I think you guys have your bards in the wrong spot. What does your bard do during fights and what does your rogue do?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

I restarted and stole a Firehorn off one of the premades.

THAT is easy mode.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I restarted and stole a Firehorn off one of the premades.

THAT is easy mode.
Yeah, it is.

So leisher's basically on sandbox since he stole from the premades, and save/restores.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

i don't know how your play without saving when a single, random encounter, if they don't let you run away, can cost you two members of your party before they even get to defend. Happened to me last night.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Stupid question: Does the catacombs have more than one level? Cuz I haven't found a 2nd level.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: i don't know how your play without saving when a single, random encounter, if they don't let you run away, can cost you two members of your party before they even get to defend. Happened to me last night.
I save, just only above ground.

The good news is my most powerful mage is also 18 DEX
GORDON
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by GORDON »

Is the save function disabled below ground?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: So leisher's basically on sandbox since he stole from the premades, and save/restores.
Never used that fire horn until deep into the first dungeon.
GORDON wrote: i don't know how your play without saving when a single, random encounter, if they don't let you run away, can cost you two members of your party before they even get to defend. Happened to me last night.
Exactly.
GORDON wrote: Is the save function disabled below ground?
Of course not, Catt's just trying to play Malcolm in this thread. Like I said earlier, autosave saves a game after every fight.
TheCatt wrote: The good news is my most powerful mage is also 18 DEX
I'm sure that was the first roll too. Only a cheater would roll more than once.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Is the save function disabled below ground?
No, but in the original game, you could only save at the guild.
Leisher wrote: Like I said earlier, autosave saves a game after every fight.
I don't use autosave.
Leisher wrote: I'm sure that was the first roll too. Only a cheater would roll more than once.
You are correct.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: No, but in the original game, you could only save at the guild.
I have no recollection of that. Quite honestly, it would make the game torture. Doing some googling shows characters were saved not your game. However, the new save system does the exact same thing. You can save your location, yes. However, anytime you go to a new level or leave a location, everything respawns. Thus, the effect of the saves are the same.
TheCatt wrote: I don't use autosave.
It's there, although typically useless because it saves after every fight. Thus, if shit went south, you need to go to a save prior to the autosave.
TheCatt wrote: You are correct.
You should have Trump tweet that to give it some credibility.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You should have Trump tweet that to give it some credibility.
You know they gain skills each level, right?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by TheCatt »

I did bail on my Rogue, though, and brought in a 2nd MAgician.

Which I feel a little guilty about, since the original game was only 6 players, right?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: You know they gain skills each level, right?
You realize a mage doesn't need 18 Dex because he'd be in the back line, and thus, not be facing physical attacks of any kind, right? So why'd you mention it? And in your earlier listing, that's exactly where they were. Now the only possible way for that to change would be if everyone above them died, but if that happened you would have re-rolled not loaded a save...

Point being, you're full of shit.
TheCatt wrote: Which I feel a little guilty about, since the original game was only 6 players, right?
Same party size. The 7th member is your choice if you want to use a character or a summoned/recruited creature.
TheCatt wrote: I did bail on my Rogue, though, and brought in a 2nd MAgician.
So you're going 3 mage easy mode? I don't understand. You do realize that you will have your magic users switch classes to the other's class, and then again later to something more powerful, right? My mage and sorcerer (or whatever they are) have already done the first class switch. The cool part is they keep ALL spells from their previous class and the cost of leveling up and buying spells in their new class is the cost it would be if it was their first class.