front end code

Malcolm

front end code

Post by Malcolm »

Been bored as hell, few posters left to frame and I'm not starting on the LPs just yet. I got so bored, I started refreshing on some front end tech. When the fuck did Javascript become the client-side version of Perl? Like every time I turn around, there's a new fucking JS-based framework/library/module/fugly monstrosity. Been dusting off/reading up on HTML5, CSS, JS, jQuery, AJAX. Angular is next. Too trendy not to know at the moment. Fucking fly-by-night code fads.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: front end code

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, JS is a whole new world, and I know none of it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I think Knockout.js, Backbone.js, Node.js are also on the radar. Just fuck. I hate this time in a tech's development so goddamned much.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Dunno, I do SQL. It's like the same thing for the past 20 years :)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:Dunno, I do SQL. It's like the same thing for the past 20 years :)
If that's all I had to work with, I'd go insane.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
TheCatt wrote:Dunno, I do SQL. It's like the same thing for the past 20 years :)
Well, it does suck to make so much $ doing something so easy. I should totally complain about that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Well, it does suck to make so much $ doing something so easy. I should totally complain about that.
I think adding in C# and all the front-end bullshit plus SQL means I can sell myself as full stack. Every-fucking-body wants that now, even if they say they don't.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AngularJS doesn't seem all that hard.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Summary of crap I've learned:

HTML5/CSS: useless semantic tags because div and span overwhelmed the brains of web designers. Shockingly, there is actual usefulness: loads of new input elements, enhanced form validation.

Javascript: functions up the ass in a language that you could swear goes home and night and pretends it's LISP's little brother while muttering, "My precious." But fuck you, all the other trendy crap is built on it, so you're learning it.

JSON: XML and tags are the work of Satan, and JSON is the Euro of JS frameworks/libraries, so hop aboard the lazy compatibility bandwagon.

jQuery: because normal javascript is too easy to read and the best shorthand we could come up with appears to be the result of PHP getting gang-banged by a family of inbred CSS selectors that only surface from their subterranean layers to consume flesh and kidnap new breeding stock.

AJAX: do you want to invite throwing a whole bunch of badly orchestrated and insecure async HTTP traffic that makes updates to your webpage components resemble old-timey operator switchboards from the 1930s designed by M. C. Escher tripping balls? If so, we've got a hell of a deal for you, and we've also got a keyboard that shoves a pine cone up your ass whenever you misspell a word.

AngularJS: know all those douchebag college students who feel the need to assert their independence overzealously and probably secretly jack off to a poster of Ayn Rand every night while simultaneously playing both "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" on audiobook, then wishing Fight Club-style death and destruction on the status quo? That's how AngularJS feels about your server. Fuck you, our controllers are JS, our modules are JS, our routing is JS. Death to the bourgeoisie server, long live Comrade Client.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Funnily enough, I started doing some node.js today. Messing around with it and AWS Lambda and DynamoDB to see about putting together a website for fun.