Apple vs the government

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The hack enabled the FBI to apparently use a custom-fabricated piece of hardware to brute-force all the possible four-digit passwords, eventually finding the correct PIN, and then accessing the contents on the San Bernardino iPhone.

A previously unknown zero day hack that used custom hardware, a flaw not present in the current release. Upgrade your shit.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The customer hardware was a digit puncher. Anyone could use that.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ah. So someone got around the guess delays and self-destruct.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Re: Apple vs the government

Post by Malcolm »

James Comey is still a luddite.
He added that encryption remains a tough issue, because it involves a conflict between the key American values of privacy and security.

“Nobody has the high ground. Nobody is the Devil,” he said. “In this conversation, we all share the same values.”
That's a baldfaced lie. Your goals are to poke around in my shit whenever you want for whatever reason you see fit. My goal is to keep you from doing so. If you need further proof that the FBI doesn't share your values:
Meanwhile, the FBI, other members of law enforcement and some members of Congress, have called for legislation mandating the use of so-called “back doors” into encrypted devices.
Go ahead and do that, fuckwits. You're practically begging for users to root every smart device they get and customize the encryption.