Colin Hay

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Frontman for Men at Work. You may know his music from Scrubs and Garden State. Anyhoo, he did a solo acoustic show. Damn good. Got to chat with him for a couple minutes after. Cool dude and one more album for framing.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hung out with a couple dudes from Australia a couple years ago, at Yellowstone. I introduced them to A-1 steak sauce at the chuckwagon cookout... they asked me to describe the flavor, and I said it was unlike anything else and they had to try it to know it.

I made the comment, "You have to watch out for rattlesnakes out here in Wyoming.... you fellas from Australia wouldn't know anything about poisonous snakes and spiders so watch yourselves." I'm not sure if they recognized a dry wit, or not.

Anyway, they said no one in Australia likes Men at Work, I think he said they were a bunch of wankers, or something like that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Men at Work's most famous member, Colin, is Scottish. That said, still a solid band. They only had two albums that mattered, but they were both rather good. Catchy-ass reggae-ish songs, too. Like a more approachable version of the Police. "It's a Mistake" and "Overkill" are criminally underrated.

Edited By Malcolm on 1446523156
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cargo was one of the first 3 cassette tapes I bought.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Cargo was one of the first 3 cassette tapes I bought.

Dude in front of me in the signing line had a fresh copy of that on vinyl, as in "still in the fucking cellophane with the sticker on it." Still, to this day, a good album.

EDIT: He spent a lot of time on anecdotes between songs.

"So, there was this one time a few years ago, I was going on a world tour for my most recent solo album. Well, it didn't sell too well, so we cut down the 'world tour' to 2 gigs: one at a tiny hotel lobby, one hundred person venue, and another at Rock in Rio, a one hundred fifty thousand person venue. The guy I had do my t-shirts, it was his first time and he was a bit of a stoner. I've only got three letters in my last name, and he managed to fuck up one of them. So my t-shirts said, 'Colin Hat World Tour.'"

I want one of those shirts now. Brilliant marketing ploy.

Edited By Malcolm on 1446525712
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think my first three were Cargo, Glass Houses, and Kill 'Em All.

I enjoyed Hay's "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

One of the cover bands I used to be in, we did "Land Down Under." Fuck, I miss the stage. I can't believe I'm saying this, and maybe Stranger and thib will emphasize, but I miss practice.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
I think my first three were Cargo, Glass Houses, and Kill 'Em All.

I enjoyed Hay's "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You".
I bought 3 at once.... Cargo, Duran Duran/Rio, and Thriller.

The 80's ruled for music.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fuck yeah. You've moved up a notch, sonically speaking.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

One of my fave tracks from Cargo is Down By the Sea. It's currently on the thumb drive plugged into my truck's stereo. No one has usually ever heard of it. (no big deal)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

His acoustic version of Overkill is powerful. The Scrubs ep they did with it was pretty amazing.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:His acoustic version of Overkill is powerful. The Scrubs ep they did with it was pretty amazing.

He did that about 2/3rds of the way through the concert.

Edited By Malcolm on 1446564990