NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Power 5 conferences will give athletes more money
One of the big things Power Five conferences wanted to get accomplished with its new autonomy happened easily on Saturday.

In a 79-1 vote, the schools (and athletes) in the Power Five conferences – ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – passed full cost of attendance scholarships. That means that schools can not only provide the cost of a scholarship to athletes, but also additional funds to cover other expenses. Cost of attendance varies among schools.

Boston College was the lone no vote. The Power Five conferences (and Notre Dame) make up 65 schools and 15 athletes were made delegates to bring the voting bloc to 80.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm fine with giving them the ability to exist like other students who can get jobs because they're not at practice and school 80 hours a week.

Once we start signing them to contracts, I won't be so down.

I do NOT like the performance stipulation. They can pull a player's scholarship if he doesn't perform. While I'm ALL for such stipulations in the NFL or other pro leagues, where's the protection for the student?

This will especially get ugly in the unethical SEC where oversigning is a way of life.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:I do NOT like the performance stipulation. They can pull a player's scholarship if he doesn't perform.
Missed that part. Yeah, these should be 4-year, guaranteed scholarships. Athletic performance should be for professionals.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Wait, the article implies the opposite of what you are saying, if I'm reading this correctly:
They provided some of the most spirited debate during the discussion forum when a proposal to guarantee four-year scholarships that cannot be revoked because of athletic performance was introduced. That proposal passed, but five athletes voted against it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Maybe I read that incorrectly? Does that mean no more oversigning?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:Maybe I read that incorrectly? Does that mean no more oversigning?
In another significant change, the schools and the reps narrowly approved legislation that will prevent schools and coaches from choosing not to renew an athlete's scholarship for athletic reasons. Under the system that has been in place, most athletic scholarships are subject to annual renewal

So it should cut down on oversigning, but I'm sure there will still be some ways out. Suddenly an underperformer stops getting academic support, grades drop - scholarship gone?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Does anyone know if this kid died or what?

HA! I made that joke and then read that he actually tweeted, "I'm still alive" after the game.

Edited By Leisher on 1421812736
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

UNC and WF sign non-conference football game agreement.
Atlantic Coast Conference members North Carolina and Wake Forest have agreed to a home-and-home non-conference football series in 2019 and 2021. Carolina will play in Winston-Salem on September 14, 2019, and will then play host to the Demon Deacons on September 25, 2021.

On the one hand: Better than Granville State, or whatever non-team the SEC is scheduling.

On the other hand: WF isn't much better than those teams. :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Urban Meyer trolls Mark May.

Note the Vine clip with that article. Even after OSU beat Alabama May wouldn't admit OSU belonged in the top four. And this was after he kissed their ass when several of them surrounded him on set during the post-Sugar Bowl show.

Mark May's a piece of shit and a coward.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

ESPN has a sense of humor about OSU's QB situation:
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

How much of an asshole is this guy?

Hey Catt, being the other person here who follows NCAA BBall, if you get a chance to see OSU play, watch for Sam Thompson. He's the greatest dunker since Jordan. (That's where the similarities end though...)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Do you mean the coach or Sulaimon?
Hey Catt, being the other person here who follows NCAA BBall, if you get a chance to see OSU play, watch for Sam Thompson. He's the greatest dunker since Jordan. (That's where the similarities end though...)

I saw part of last night's game, but didn't see any dunks. Of course, once I checked in, OSU was already up 20.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

He's just always above everyone else.

He plays nice defense too. Also, a threat at the three point line.

Needs work everywhere else though. Plus, he's still a bit skinny so he'll get shoved around in the NBA.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I somehow missed that UNC got new defensive coordinator, former Auburn HC Gene Chizik. He has a solid body of work as a DC, and UNC's D has sucked nuts lately, so pretty excited.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

UNC: Still more class than Duke.
Cunningham and UNC head coach Larry Fedora originally apologized to Duke in a statement issued Nov. 24. Cunningham said he called Duke AD Kevin White, while Fedora reached out to Duke coach David Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe apparently never called Fedora back.

From the News & Observer:

In a formal apology letter to Duke athletic director Kevin White on Feb. 3, Cunningham said he was disappointed that Duke football coach David Cutcliffe never returned UNC coach Larry Fedora’s apology call, which came the Friday following the game.
Additionally, at the end of his letter to Duke, Cunningham decided to include a photo of spray paint damage to UNC’s South Building where “four pillars were tagged with the letters D-U-K-E on Feb. 19, 2014, before the Duke-UNC basketball game.”

“The University of North Carolina bore the cost of sandblasting these pillars and did not make public comments of the transgression. I acknowledge we have no idea who did this, but I simply included it to demonstrate that all fans, teams, coaches, students, etc. need to appreciate and respect the rivalry.”
Cunningham and Fedora split the costs with each sending personal checks for $13,585.22 to Duke in January while the UNC players completed community service.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »