new desktop

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

Everything's here but the case. Bench build: 1 hour.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

Don't forget to put the little metal thingy in the case where all the motherboard jacks go BEFORE you screw down the motherboard.

I build systems so infrequently that I've forgotten to do that TWICE, which means you have to take it all apart again if you want it in place keeping dust out.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Don't forget to put the little metal thingy in the case where all the motherboard jacks go BEFORE you screw down the motherboard.
I do not know what you mean? Or do you mean the cutout plate for the USB/Audio/etc jacks?

The new mobo I bought for my wife's build, actually has that BUILT IN to the mobo. Who knew?
GORDON
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by GORDON »

Yes that little cutout. Customized for each mobo jacks layout. Snaps into case (from the inside) where the USB ports and stuff go. Got to put it in before the mobo. Protip.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Got back from my Columbus trip to Micro Center on Sunday. Spent the day building my new PC and luckily everything went really smooth. PC POSTed on first power up and XMP memory overclock went off without a hitch. Purchased a Windows 11 key from a somewhat sketchy website for $30 and download, install and verification all went perfect. Literally was up and running in less than 10 mins, i don't remember Windows installs being so quick.

Here's a list of all my build. Didn't purchase the GPU as i'm going with the 1080 until i can afford an upgrade. Not the same exact CPU cooler either, but i opted for a big chunky air cooler vs the more expensive AIO water coolers. Probably went overboard on the MOBO, but i liked all the added features like a better audio codec w/7.1, built in Wifi & Bluetooth, more USB 3 hubs including type C, and even a thunderbolt header if i ever need one of those. Now comes the "fun" part of downloading and installing all the games, apps and other shit i've gotten used to having on my old PC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8yhzY9

Major upgrade over my old gen 3 I-5. Very happy with this build. Oh yeah, total price for all this from Micro Center was just over $1000.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:34 am Major upgrade over my old gen 3 I-5. Very happy with this build. Oh yeah, total price for all this from Micro Center was just over $1000.
Awesome build, should clopper your old PC :)
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:43 amAwesome build, should clopper your old PC :)
It even looks purdy too.. All fans have ARGB if you're into that type of thing, i am a sucker for shiny things that light up. And that case made for excellent cable management, everything is tucked away all nice and neat. When i looked at my old PC i had a little laugh at the spaghetti bowl of cables all strewn about. I'll have to upload some pics.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by Leisher »

Very nice.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:21 amVery nice.
Thanks dood 8)
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

new desktop

Post by Cakedaddy »

It was a sketchy site because Windows has been free for a while. :-) You can use an old Windows 7 key.

And you have a 1080?! I thought you said you had like a 670 or something.
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:23 pm You can use an old Windows 7 key.
Maybe, but i didn't have one and i knew better than to pay the $150 or whatever they want to sell it to you for in retail.
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:23 pm And you have a 1080?! I thought you said you had like a 670 or something
If i had a 670 i'd never been able to play B3, that shit would've been a slide show.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

new desktop

Post by Cakedaddy »

Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 pm Maybe, but i didn't have one and i knew better than to pay the $150 or whatever they want to sell it to you for in retail.
You could have used the key off your old build. Keep this in mind if you try to keep the old build running as another PC in the house. You can upgrade it to 10 or 11.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 pm If i had a 670 i'd never been able to play B3, that shit would've been a slide show.
So then you're a liar! :shock:
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:49 pm So then you're a liar!
When did i say i had a 670???
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:49 pm So then you're a liar!
In fact, i found on Jan 31st i posted this:
Although i still think my 1080 (thx Leisher!!) is still pretty good, It's my 3rd gen i-5 thats starting to show its age. Of course this means a whole new Mobo and such so its a pretty pricey expenditure, but CPU prices are actually in a good place right now.

Not sure why you're calling me a liar.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

new desktop

Post by Cakedaddy »

You told me via chat, so there would be no record. . . . I remember discussing video cards recently, and I thought you said you had an old shitty one. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with your old CPU. But I just remember feeling sorry for you and your old busted GPU. I wouldn't have felt that way about a 1080!

At least now I won't feel as bad beating you for the 3090 since you have a usable 1080. :D
Stranger

new desktop

Post by Stranger »

Said i'd post a pic of the new PC, so here it is. Plenty of space, cooling and power to handle a 3090 :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:32 pm Said i'd post a pic of the new PC, so here it is. Plenty of space, cooling and power to handle a 3090
Looks like a beast!
Leisher
Site Admin

new desktop

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”