new desktop

For sooper seekrit League of Legends, <s>UO</s> <s>EVE</s> talk <s>and Diplomacy</s>.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This was the worst sale ever on Amazon. A bunch of crap no one wants that still sold out in seconds.

1) You tried to buy them, so you wanted to spend money on them.
2) Other people successfully bought them, so they did, too.

Sounds like a fucking red letter sales event for Amazon.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:One complaint I have seen is that people see a sale item they want, go sign up for Prime, then go to buy the item and it is already sold out.
Well, that's a stupid plan, why not sign up first?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Because they were checking out the sale to see if Prime was worth the $99/year? yeah yeah free month

My fave sale was the guy (girl?) who bought the 55 gallon drum of anal lube.

Edited By GORDON on 1437061100
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think the disappointment comes from the hype of "This will be bigger than Black Friday, trust us!" and mostly what they are selling is the equivalent of dress socks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:I think the disappointment comes from the hype of "This will be bigger than Black Friday, trust us!" and mostly what they are selling is the equivalent of dress socks.
Then those people had NO IDEA what Amazon's Black Friday sales actually look like, because this was just as messy and bad as those are.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nobody gets hyped over dress socks. They want the cheap TVs that, in spite of amazon saying they had thousands, were still sold out in 10 minutes. yay, fun.

It was a letdown.

Personally, I didn't buy a thing at amazon yesterday, and I wanted to. Instead I shopped at Catt's Deep Discount.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Catt's DD is the best.

Speaking of which, our fulfillment department kinda sucks. It appears your order was bagged, but left at our warehouse instead of going to the delivery place.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'll shoot off an email to customer service, see if I can get someone fired. Maybe give them less than 5 stars in the review.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Good luck. Our customer service rep is a rabbit.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Intel's RST tool is reporting...
The application is detecting early warning signs of failure with a SATA disk that result from a slow degradation over time. When a disk is reported at risk, you can suppress the SMART event, but we recommend that you contact the manufacturer for more information to prevent potential data loss. Follow this procedure to suppress the SMART event:

Gotta be fistfucking me. Primary SSD for the OS/system shit. Wtf? Maybe time for an Intel SSD.

Edited By Malcolm on 1442525403
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

SSDs are not yet "there" in terms of reliability.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:SSDs are not yet "there" in terms of reliability.
I expect five years out of those things.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I've used/bought about 20-25 SSDs. 2 of them failed within the first year.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:I've used/bought about 20-25 SSDs. 2 of them failed within the first year.

What's your brand?

EDIT: FUCK. Hard Drive Sentinel confirms primary SSD is fucked. Estimated remaining lifetime: 0 days. Lifetime writes: 970 Gb. That's some bullshit.

Edited By Malcolm on 1442526954
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That is indeed, some bullshit.

Samsung drives, mostly EVOs.

All desktops I have are RAIDed. The laptop isn't. but all important data is stored. Still, reconstructing from scratch would suck.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Just annoyed it had to be the fucking drive the OS lives on, naturally. Disk imaging tedium. Can move everything to the remaining 240 drive (of same kind as the failing one) and load the excess to the HDD. Hmm, wonder if they're still under warranty.

Woohoo.
Solid State Drives: Solid State Drives (SSD) – A period of 3 years from purchase date

Knew I liked that company for a reason. This might motivate me to send back my shitty PNY thumb drive, too.

Windows update thinks ALL the drives are failing and refused to backup to those locations until I finally found the "fuck you" button and got past it.

Edited By Malcolm on 1442528776
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Got two backup images, one on HDD, one on USB, plus a makeshift USB boot key. Will do the unpleasant work tomorrow.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I sound like a broken record, but as an audiophile, goddamn, the Turtle Bay headphones still produce amazing quality tunes. I can hear mixed bass lines clear as a bell. Quality is fine enough that it also helps me in decoding vocal harmonies. I guess due props must go to the Creative Soundblaster ZxR. I don't use the voice mic much, but the manual volume control within arm's reach is more convenient than I thought. Far as the dial goes, at 9'oclock and a couple degrees more gives me plenty of audio discrimination.

Edited By Malcolm on 1446530283
Malcolm

Re: new desktop

Post by Malcolm »

Two minor additions are coming since I have a Newegg gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I need an excuse to crack open the case to do some other non-related hardware work. Since Newegg isn't run by complete dicks, their cards never expire or degrade in value.

1) Cheap refurb Logitech Z200 speakers.

2) Cheapo refurb LG CD/DVD RW.
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: new desktop

Post by GORDON »

Aren't CD rws about 20 bucks these days?