For you Harry Potter fans

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Director Mike Newell is using his forthcoming movie Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire to vent his seething mistrust of children. The 63-year-old film-maker is determined to obliterate any sense of false innocence in the magical tale, as he insists kids should be depicted in a more truthful light - as bloodthirsty maniacs. He says, "I was very anxious to break the franchise out of this goody-two-shoes feel. It's my view that children are violent, dirty, corrupt anarchists. Just adults-in-waiting basically."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Wonderful.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

About fucking time someone finally shared my view.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Heh.

I would have sworn that JK Rowling had final approval on the movie scripts.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Mr. Wilson is directing Dennis the Menace, eh I mean Harry Potter?

For me this is actually good news. I've been on the fence about taking my kids (7 and 5) to see this since it has a dark ending. This just clinches it, I not taking them.

A 63 year old understanding 14 year old kids. Yeah right. 14 year olds don't understand 14 year olds and you're going to get a guy almost 50 years removed from it to direct it!

Again proving Hollywood is populated by former brain surgeons. Or is that living brain donors?
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Link to article

I doubt it'll be a big change from the other films. Maybe grittier. I only watch the movies because my wife does. I never read the books.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

BTW, no spoilers, please.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Harry and Ron BF each other, but you could tell that was coming a mile away.

Actually, one of my wife's friends is into... I forget what it's called. But she likes to read erotic Harry Potter fan fiction, most of which tends to be homosexual in nature. There's a word for that fettish/cult/abomination. I just don't remember what it was.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Actually, one of my wife's friends is into... I forget what it's called. But she likes to read erotic Harry Potter fan fiction, most of which tends to be homosexual in nature. There's a word for that fettish/cult/abomination. I just don't remember what it was.
Wacked?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Paul

Post by Paul »

I actually did a seach for the term, noticed a lot of man/boy stuff, stumbled on Snape getting blown by the sorting hat, and decided to quit while I could maintain my sanity.

If one of you wants to hunt down the correct term, be my guest. The knowledge is the end of innocence, ignorance is bliss, and all that jazz.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

BTW, no spoilers, please.
Harry lived through it.

Ha Ha!
Troy

Post by Troy »

I think this thread went south as soon as man/sorting hat love was mentioned.

Edited By Troy on 1123072809
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hey, I wasn't looking for it specifically. Google: harry potter erotic fan fiction
The #1 hit begins with, "wherein Professor Snape is fellated by the Sorting Hat"

We're doomed. I wish someone like the U.N. would step up and take control of the Internet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I actually did a seach for the term, noticed a lot of man/boy stuff, stumbled on Snape getting blown by the sorting hat, and decided to quit while I could maintain my sanity.

If one of you wants to hunt down the correct term, be my guest. The knowledge is the end of innocence, ignorance is bliss, and all that jazz.

Slash is the word for which you are looking.

Edited By TheCatt on 1123089956
It's not me, it's someone else.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Is the film adaptation going to be directed by Larry Flint?
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Only a pervert would know that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

How do you know it's correct, then?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah, that's it!

source
5. Slash is what, exactly?
Slash is a genre of fanfic which deals almost exclusively with same sex homoerotic relationships. Research has suggested it is written and read primarily by heterosexual females. As previously stated, slash began in the 70s with Kirk/Spock fiction. The term "slash" came from the slash mark between the names of the characters. In this way, the particular pairing of characters is articulated. It has spread to all kinds of TV and movie characters. Once slash came to the internet in the 90s, more men began reading and writing it, and it is no longer the exclusive domain of females (although about 95 percent of what I see is written by women).

Slash fiction is a subgenre of fan fiction, and many people wonder why so many women are drawn to it. It's a good question. There are numerous theories, and even a few scholarly articles, about this. Some women look at a buddy relationship between two men and read more into it; they find it fun to write about the things they see. It's interesting to reinterpret an existing relationship and define parameters within new boundaries. This makes slash fic challenging to write, and a new challenge is always fun, creatively speaking. Women often imbue male characters with the traits and characteristics of female characters in terms of caring and sharing, and some theories say this is to make up for a lack of such characteristics in the real-life male counterparts. (Hey, it's a theory!) Conversely, writers often torture, maim and mutilate for the sake of bringing the macho men closer. Aside from all that, women seem to secretly like to see guys together almost as much as guys like to see two women together...
Some readers have asked if people will think they are weird or gay, or whatever, if they read slash. In a word, NO. What you read does not totally define who you are, and it shouldn't be an issue if you are comfortable with who you are.

I thought my wife was smoking crack when she said that some of her female friends loved that stuff. I guess she's not totally off the wall.

Know any good My Pretty Pony/Unicorn slash?

Edited By Paul on 1123096545
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

How do you know it's correct, then?
I didn't want to be the first to admit he knew the word, nor did I want to be the first to ask "how do you know," lest clown #2 jump in and say "how do you know that's right?"

But then, just now, I incriminated myself.

For the record, I remember a Slate article or something years ago talking about the popularity of Kirk-Spock gay fanfic, called 'slash.'
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm proud to say that I had never heard of slash until now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”