Chappelle Show

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

I read most of the details... seems like Viacom paid him exactly what he agreed to in the contract, but now he thinks he should get streaming money. Not sure how I feel about it. If I commission a painting, I don't want the painter coming back at me in a decade if I sell it for more than what he earned to paint it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Chappelle Show

Post by Cakedaddy »

Did he sell them a show to use however they wanted, whenever they wanted, for the rest of time? Or did he sell them a show for them to put on Comedy Central, and now they want to put it other places to earn more money, but not share any with Dave.

Reminds me of the Yahoo! lawsuit. The guy who wrote/performed the Yahoo! yodel created it and sold it to them to be used in some small internal campaign. Then Yahoo! started using it as part of their national/international ad campaign and the artist was like "Wait a minute. This isn't even close to what we agreed to.".

I'm betting that IP like shows and stuff are pretty particular about how the product can be distributed and Dave feels like streaming isn't part of the original contract.

You get X% from Comedy Central advertising.
You get Y% from DVD sales.
You never said anything about streaming so too bad!!

That's my guess on how things are playing out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: He's fighting them and Netflix is on his side.
Helps when you (Netflix) want to keep signing that guy to more deals.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote: Did he sell them a show to use however they wanted, whenever they wanted, for the rest of time? Or did he sell them a show for them to put on Comedy Central, and now they want to put it other places to earn more money, but not share any with Dave.
That's the good argument, and I don't have that information.
Leisher
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by Leisher »

From what I understand nobody really saw the streaming stuff coming, but the decent companies have made amends with a lot of the stars. Or maybe lawyers have forced them to do so?

Viacom is not a nice company. They're pretty notorious for being greedy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

Watching the latest set. With 37 minutes left, i finally laughed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:52 pm Watching the latest set. With 37 minutes left, i finally laughed.
The story at the end was the best part. I won't say funny, but I will say best.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by Leisher »

That meme is pretty accurate.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

Attacked on stage, Chris Rock was there. Will Smith was not.

Chappelle is fine.
An audience member who had a knife is in custody after he tackled a "famous comedian" Tuesday night at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles police said, following the emergence of a video that shows Dave Chappelle being attacked onstage.

"A famous comedian was performing at the Hollywood Bowl. He had finished his act and as he was exiting the stage, a male who was part of the audience jumped on the stage and tackle(d) this celebrity to the ground," said LAPD spokesperson Officer Lizeth Lomeli.
The suspect, 23, was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and taken to a hospital for medical treatment, Lomeli said. The victim "was not injured as a result of the crime," she said.
The weapon was a "knife blade," Lomeli said. The motive of the apparent attack remains unclear.
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

Old skinny high Chapelle, safe move. Current buff cranky Chapelle ... Maybe not.
Leisher
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by Leisher »

The Will Smith-Chris Rock incident normalized violence against words we don’t like.
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

Was it NWA who did the "Freedom of speech/but watch what you say" song?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:19 pm Was it NWA who did the "Freedom of speech/but watch what you say" song?
Ice T
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

Ah yes.

I knew him back when he was Water T.
Leisher
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:05 pm The Will Smith-Chris Rock incident normalized violence against words we don’t like.
Told you.
GORDON
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by GORDON »

Dave hosted SNL this last weekend.

He did a 15 minute opening monologue/standup routine slamming Kanye.... while stealth slamming the jews running the media.

It was actually funnier than his last couple neflix shows.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:51 am It was actually funnier than his last couple neflix shows.
Low bar, eh? Maybe forcing him to shorter shows makes it tighter.
Leisher
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:51 am It was actually funnier than his last couple neflix shows.
True. I enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty inoffensive, particularly for him.

None of the Jewish stuff bothered me because it's all stuff Jewish writers say about themselves and the industry too.

It's the longest I've ever heard Chappelle go without saying the n word.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Chappelle Show

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:20 pm It's the longest I've ever heard Chappelle go without saying the n word.
4 minutes?