Garden State

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Zach Braff of Scrubs (the best network sitcom on TV the last 4 years and running) fame writes, directs, and stars in this story about a young man who is escaping his past and finally starting his life.

While there are plenty of laughs to be found here, this film isn't a comedy and brains are definitely required. This isn't a mainstream romantic comedy. Its an indie romantic comedy and pretty well done.

Zach's performance is well done, but he doesn't escape from the character he plays in Scrubs. Most likely because his Scrubs character, John Dorian, is so well written with comedy and drama. Not that that's a bad thing because he's good at it, but he's really bringing nothing new to the table with his performance.

His writing and direction is much more impressive. Few scenes are wasted in the film as he gives you a good view of each character without spending too much time introducing them. Rather the film intros each character fluidly in the storyline and just keeps on going dropping hints along the way as to who these people are and what their motivations are. Its interesting because the viewer is as up to speed on these people as Zach's character is, so you're there learning along with him.

His direction is top notch, as he brings out very good performances from all involved and doesn't make the typical first time directors mistakes of funky camera tricks/angles.

The show stealer is Natalie Portman. She is incredible in her portrayal of the neurotic love interest. It doesn't hurt that she and Braff have great onscreen chemistry. You will understand why people bash her acting in the new Star Wars films when you see what she can do when she's really trying. Her performance, particularly when she's first being introduced to the audience, is proof as to why her career will be shining brightly when other young actresses are gone (Julia Styles, Reese Whitherspoon, Kirsten Dunst, etc.).

Is Garden State the perfect film? No. There are problems with it. For starters, its slow. Zach needs to work on pacing his films a little better. I can't stress this point enough. Its slow. If you're a fan of those actors involved and get into the storyline, you'll be fine. Others will be bored. The problem is that the story essentially is being told backwards. Thus, you'll have to wait to find out why the characters are the way they are. A lot of movie audiences don't have that kind of patience.

Also, it drops in quality towards the end. The writing gets a bit looser towards the end of the film, and I have to wonder if Zach was having problems figuring out how to finalize his character's journey. It doesn't completely fall apart, nor is it awful, but its not up to the level of the rest of the film.

Its not going to be for everyone. If you thought The Day After Tomorrow was great, this probably won't be for you. However, if you enjoy characterization and good acting or even just enjoy indie films, this will be up your alley.

8 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

I agree with your review, I really enjoyed the movie but I guess a little disappointed with the ending. The couple I watched the movie with didn't like it as much, they couldn't keep interest because of the slower pace, but they're more action movie people....
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Endings are hard.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ain't seen this movie, but I probably fucking hate it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Replace "movie" with any word and I'd say that's your motto.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:

Replace "movie" with any word and I'd say that's your motto.
Please, we've already established there's things I don't hate.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't think not hating "hate" counts.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:

I don't think not hating "hate" counts.
"Suicide Kings" just arrived on Netflix today. I rest my case, biaznatch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yet you didn't like it enough to buy it. Bitch. :D
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:

Yet you didn't like it enough to buy it. Bitch. :D
Enough to bit torrent it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Good movie, entertaining. Some scenes were "hey, wouldnt it be good to have a scene like this in a movie," the ending was OK, a little too generic on the "life-lessons" or whatnot.

But, fun, quirky.

7/10
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

About 67% into the movie I said out loud, "I need to write, direct, and star in a movie in which I get to makeout with Natalie Portman."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

About 67% into the movie I said out loud, "I need to write, direct, and star in a movie in which I get to makeout with Natalie Portman."
Good luck.

I keep sending screenplays with Salma and me in them, but they keep getting rejected.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I didn't like it. You would probably hate it.

I found myself leaving the room a lot because I just didn't care. It was good in so much as it was an excuse to watch Natalie Portman, but I hear I'm supposed to watch Closer to get a good Portman fix.