A Man Called Otto (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Tom Hanks plays Otto, a widower who is mad at the world, a busybody, and terrible at suicide.

This is the U.S. version of this film, which I highly recommended.

It's been so long since I've seen the original that I don't remember it all. For example, there's one woke thing added, but it's not shoved down your throat, so it isn't a big deal. (Weird how that works, huh?)

Everyone does a great job, particularly Mariana Trevino who MUST carry the film. I know that sounds weird in a movie starring Tom Hanks playing the character in the title, but the movie does not work if you don't fall in love with Marisol (Parvaneh in the original movie.). She is the lynchpin to the film's success, and she does a great job.

Loads of subtle shots at modern men, society, social media, and so on throughout the movie. None of which I think anyone here (left, right, or center) would really disagree with.

Just like the original, it's a very solid movie. I honestly don't remember enough about the original to recommend one over the other, but IMDB has the original rated at 7.7 while the remake is at 7.5. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I will say that it might help not seeing Hanks in the lead role so you can really enjoy the movie more. For me, some of his voiceovers sounded a hell of a lot like Forest Gump.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by GORDON »

The scenes at the train station were in Toledo.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by Leisher »

I have no recollection of that. Pretty cool.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Otto was such a miserable Karen in the first 10 minutes that I almost turned the movie off.

Glad I stuck with it. I think if you're at a certain stage of life, and you've felt loss and despair at some point, this movie will hit you hard in the feels, over and over.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:26 pm Glad I stuck with it. I think if you're at a certain stage of life, and you've felt loss and despair at some point, this movie will hit you hard in the feels, over and over.
well, my mom's in hospice care so let's give it a whirl
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by GORDON »

Oof. May not want to.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:44 pm Oof. May not want to.
The day my first grand dad died I just wanted a laugh, so I went some and watched Scrubs. It was this episode. I just started bawling.
Leisher
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by Leisher »

That's just bad timing, and an exceptionally well done episode.

You're going to get the notes you expect in Otto, but there's good feels and closure, so maybe it'd be positive to watch? I don't know.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:41 pm That's just bad timing, and an exceptionally well done episode.
Yes... and yes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:26 pm Otto was such a miserable Karen in the first 10 minutes that I almost turned the movie off.

Glad I stuck with it. I think if you're at a certain stage of life, and you've felt loss and despair at some point, this movie will hit you hard in the feels, over and over.
GORDON wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:44 pm Oof. May not want to.
Yes, and yes.

I’m like the saddest person on this plane to Vegas right now.
Leisher
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by Leisher »

Did you ever make it here?

I go to Vegas on the 21st.
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:47 pm Did you ever make it here?

I go to Vegas on the 21st.
I do t like to take cars when I'm in Vegas. But will see if I can get the group to go Sunday
TheCatt
Site Admin

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Post by TheCatt »

OK, on a more serious note: This movie has very good acting, and a possibly heart-warming, possibly depressing, but way too predictable plot.

Also, another movie where I wonder why the girl fell for him.

Made me cry a lot. But probably similar to how Big Fish made me feel after seeing it after my granddad passed. Who had some fish tales of his own.