All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Third movie made that is based on the novel. Based on because they definitely take some sizeable liberties with the source material.

I was told I'd better be ready to cry, but no tears were shed. It's a beautifully shot movie and the acting is awesome, but for some reason it didn't carry the same weight as, say, Saving Private Ryan. I think it's because of a combination of the subtitles, failures within the film to really make the characters have depth, and then some of the absurdities that take place.

I know this is up for best picture, but imho, does not deserve the award. There's nothing new here, and honestly, it does not compare to other, far superior war movies, like Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, and so on. It felt hollow throughout. I never felt like the realities of war were ever presented on the screen like in other movies. I knew who was going to die and when. One death, in particular, was absurd and made as much sense as if the crew of the Enterprise had beamed down for a scene.

If you don't know, this film is told from the German viewpoint during WWI. It follows one particular soldier, his childhood friends, and those he encounters along the way.

Shout out to Daniel Bruhl who kills every scene he's in, and he's not in any of the action sequences.

Good film, but nowhere near a great one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Watched this with the wife. Her take: "why did somebody think there needed to be another 'War Is Bad' movie?"

I pointed out that the book was probably one of the first (modern anyway) 'War Is Bad' books. But she has a point, and like you said: nothing new here.